Slugs for Bear

I was forced to use slugs for deer growing up in Ontario. In those days we had Fosters from fed, Rem and Win. They were terrible. Then I found Brenneke Rottweilers and put a scope on my 870 and everything improved. Fast forward to now and my bear outfitter uses the 870 with a short imp cyl barrel and Brenneke slugs for follow up work. Having seen first hand the damage they can inflict on a large bear, I would have zero hesitation using them for backup work.

I'll summarize but give you a highly contentious answer.

By a wide berth, the most accurate slug in the world in 90% of rifled barrels is the 3" remington accutip sabot. 260gr projectile with a G1 BC of .146.

That will get you 1.5 moa 5 shot groups from a bench at 100 yards from a savage 220f slug gun, for example.

The 3" 20 bore loads are hard to find and expect to pay $17 a box of 5 in the US, more in Canada.

Calhoun........I am only going to be using this shotgun for follow up on wounded bears in very heavy cover. I am not hunting with it, just finishing the job.

Believe me I have plenty of rifles much more suitable for this, but this is not up to me. It is a law that was passed in a specific area. With no options other than to comply, I will be buying an 870 pump specifically for this....probably a short rifled barrel, iron sights and synthetic stock.

Was hoping someone on here may have some info that would help. I have used the slugs you talk about in the past with smooth bores, but have ZERO experience with the newest sabotted rounds/wonder rounds etc. Recoil is absolutely not a concern.

I haven't searched since I first found the Brenneke USA Black Magic Magnum 3" shell 1 3/8 ounce slug. It is excellent for the need you are forced to fill. I'd be shocked if Brenneke didn't import into Canada.

Brenneke Black Magic 3" are awesome! Super hard cast, .729", 600 grain projectile with a cutting shoulder at 1,500 fps...maybe lacking in SD, but phenomenal "slap", for sure; and by most reports, penetration has been quite good.

Skyline, black bears are easy to kill about the same as a large mule deer. Put the projectile in the vital or shoulders and the BB is going down soon.
Buy .690 round ball mold of Amazon, and load your own, or failing that federal tru ball deep penetrator slugs are the bomb for those big black bears.

I agree with all the comments about the excellence of Brenneke slugs, but they are often difficult to find in stores in Canada. If you need a substitute for your bear guiding activities, consider the Challenger slugs loaded in Canada. Challengers feature the pointed / finned slugs made in Italy named "Dangerous Game Slug" in the Ballistics Pr0ducts catalogue. I believe the slugs loaded in the Challengers are are made by Gualandi, but could be mistaken. They have a reputation of better penetration that Foster slugs, and better accuracy too. Like the Brenneke, Gualandi slugs are commonly used in Europe for wild boar. Catalogue No. 00200 (12 ga. 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz at 1600 fps).

I grew up hunting with shotguns as it was the only thing legal. Honestly where you are following up on bears and have to be close, tight and thick with possible movement. I would skip the sabots, as they work great in rifle barrels but might be unnecessary for a bear at 20 yards. I think get a regular 2 3/4 inch Remington/Winchester following with 3 1/2 00 buck shot would be the ticket. Those 3 1/2 inch shells have 18 pellets, within 30 yards you are goibg to hit something. I used them alot for deer hunting, would shoot them in the neck and drop them right there. This is why I was a horrible tracker...

But if the bear is coming, with buckshot you are going to break a leg, hit the spin, slow them down and if you hit them in the head you will kill them there.

Growing up in the deep south of Arkansas I used a lot of 00 and OOO buckshot. I have killed some quite large Razorback boars with just a .22LR because that was all I had with me while on my grandfather's farm once when a big boar cut one of my grandfather's cow's belly open with his tusks and started eating her intestines right there while she was still alive. I took great offense at that and opened up on him. I knew the .22 would not penetrate his chest armor plate so I was aiming for his spine. The .22 rifle was scoped so I just kept shooting for his spine trying to hit a disc to hopefully get a sliver of lead to his spinal cord. He was squealing in rage as I was hitting him but finally his back legs went down. The whole time I was walking toward him closing the range. Now I shifted my aim to his neck to sever his necks spinal cord. His front legs went down as he was trying to get to me now. As I walked up to him he was lifting his head and try to use his tusks to drag himself to me. I told him "it's not happening" right before I put a bullet in his brain. That boar should not have killed that cow in front of me as it sealed his fate. I would have prefered to have a larger caliber rifle and I would have dropped him with one shot but I used what I had.

I have elsewhere discussed Dixie Slugs Tri-ball "buckshot" consisting of three .60 caliber hardened balls that give a very tight pattern at extended range. If it would have been available I would have love to use it growing up just I would have loved to have my Ithaca Deerslayer III back then. There are a number of deer that would have died if I would have had it back then as they were out of range of my 00 buckshot.

The topic recently posted about using a slug gun in Africa prompted this post......not wanting to hyjack that thread.

Some recent regulation changes in an area I guide for black bear in Canada have limited guides to carrying a shotgun for backup. Please do don't ask why......suffice it to say that dealing with government idiots is trying at times, especially when they don't hunt or have any field experience of any kind and are making rules up about things they know nothing about.

I do not know anyone in Canada that I believe really knows what they are talking about with slugs as the use is relatively uncommon. So what slug would you boys recommend for black bear at close range in heavy, heavy bush? These bears are big and we regularly take bears 400 to 600 pounds.

Also, we cannot get slugs like those from Tar Hunt due to cross border hastles and regulations by the BATF that prevent many companies from shipping ammunition/bullets etc. north of the 49th. The slug would need to be something from one of the big name ammo companies like Remington, Federal, etc. that would routinely be imported by big hunting/shooting stores in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

I know an Alaskan LEO who used to use an 870P for bear control. Brown bear, so pretty good size. They were issued 12ga Black Magic 3" Brenneke slugs, and he had zero complaints. He did indeed use the combo a number of times and it killed bear. He switched to a SCAR17 and TSX bullets because range/mag capacity, but the 12ga never failed him.

I grew up hunting with shotguns as it was the only thing legal. Honestly where you are following up on bears and have to be close, tight and thick with possible movement. I would skip the sabots, as they work great in rifle barrels but might be unnecessary for a bear at 20 yards. I think get a regular 2 3/4 inch Remington/Winchester following with 3 1/2 00 buck shot would be the ticket. Those 3 1/2 inch shells have 18 pellets, within 30 yards you are goibg to hit something. I used them alot for deer hunting, would shoot them in the neck and drop them right there. This is why I was a horrible tracker...

But if the bear is coming, with buckshot you are going to break a leg, hit the spin, slow them down and if you hit them in the head you will kill them there.

A regular 2.75" Remington or Winchester foster slug barely manages 12-14" penetration in the lab in ballistic gel. I would never use this on an angry bear.

I have never used one on a any bear however if and when I do it will be loaded with 12 gauge 3" Dixie IXL-DGS (Dangerous Game Slug) It is is .730" and weighs 870 grs. It is designed for rifled barrels and .729"/.730" bore smoothbore with cylinder chokes. It leaves a 20 inch barrel at 1200 FPS and is hardened so it does not expand but cuts a .73 caliber hole through though muscle and bone. Penetration testing has been similar to a .416 Rigby magnum Nosler is my understanding. It is not for the faint of heart as it is a "stopping load" designed for use within 100 yards and really within 50 yards not as a long range loading. But I have talked to the people who make these loads and believe in their concept enough to stake my life on them.

144_DixieIXL-DGS.jpg

Attachments

• 144_DixieIXL-DGS.jpg
    144_DixieIXL-DGS.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 286
You know I understand I am an old throwback to a generation the youngsters today do not understand. I remember looking at my grandfather, his wrinkled skin, and how hard it was for him to do some of the things he loved to do yet he loved to hunt and always made sure when my father had to work when he had promised to take me hunting he was there to step in for him so I was able to get out there and hunt. How many grandfathers do that today? So many of our American traditions and even our history are not passed down to the next generations any longer. They sure are not only NOT taught in school but in fact are ridiculed. We are loosing our children because they are not being taught, shown or allowed to learn the truth for themselves in the best teacher of all Mother Nature. I grew up in the forests and swamps of southern Arkansas with my best friend an American Indian. If not for that education and my belief in what created it all I would not be alive today as I graduated High School in the United States in 1967 (Vietnam). My father was a 1st Sgt in WWII and he prepared me as best he could to survive that is why where ever we lived he established a Boy Scout troop so that I would become one of the most recognized Eagle Scouts in Arkansas as he was preparing me for the future. Again if not for the selflessness of others I would not be alive today. The tale went on but you get the idea. Pass it on!

Last edited:
Jeez you have some blg blackies up there. A 300lb black bear is a giant in my area.

I would recommend a S x S shotgun, barrels shortened to 24 inches and fitted either with a front sight and ghost ring rear sight or even better a Aimpoint Micro S2. No need to go bigger than 12ga. I have just such a set-up that I use for follow-up on Leopard. I have shot many animals with this poor mans double and it works perfectly. As mentioned by someone above, whatever you do, do not use buckshot! I have found that Brenneke slugs give the best performance out of these smoothbores and also penetrate the best.

Just saying any gun that stops that bugger before he reaches me has my vote!!!

Load your own, I was so unhappy with what was commercially available so I designed my own solid based on BRI design. I turned about twenty out of solid copper bar stock. Basically it was a AP round. I put one thru a black bear, no grizz yet. But its my 590 load in grizz country when Im packing quarters out. one solid, one plated buckshot. I got the idea from breaching slugs.

cheers
Pat
ps: kicks like a mule

In Europe the Brenneke slugs are the ones which tend to be rated...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg