Slightly different Knives

The latest fad in knives is the " bushcraft knife", of which the Kephart is the most famous, but we also have the Nessmuk, and the different scandinavian knives.

All of them good designs to choose from.

Oneday
The cold steel is a good knife but it is their budget knife. Still holds a great edge but pales into comparison to the Grohman carbon steel.
20200407_215012.jpg

My Grohman Canadian belt knife and close enough to a kephart.
My 2 favorites
Bob

I don’t mean Bobs is copied but the design has been produced by many. It’s a thing!
Chris
The D.H Russell belt knife won an award in 1958 for design. My gunsmith has an original he got 40 odd years ago and it was marked grohman so I would hazard a guess that they made them. I may be wrong.
Grohman does stainless steel and carbon steel with various grinds.
Von Gruff may be able to chime in and help.
Bob.

My older one feels much better because it has a full tang blade that is slightly thicker.
Hers does feel cheap because of the plastic handle and lack of weight.
Both hold an edge well enough and are used almost daily.
Both will give good service, but I think I will upgrade hers to a "trout & bird" belt knife.
This time from Grohmann.
BeeMaa
Is your belt knife stainless or carbon.
I know the cold steel is some sort of stainless but mine holds an edge well enough to skin a pig,half a dozen rabbits then a big billy goat. Put it on a diamond oval stick and it brings it back to a reasonable edge.
Bob

Bob Nelson, if you like your current Cold Steel Knife, find and buy a vintage Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter. Guaranteed you won't be sorry you did.
Shootist43
Are the San mainly 111 steel blades as good they are supposed to be a laminated steel blade.
How much are the carbon V mate
Bob.

Bob, I could very well be wrong in my assessment of the more "modern" steels but I prefer the old Carbon V. Why, because I'm totally happy with how it performs. Cold Steel recently brought back a line of Carbon V knives but use a thinner blade. The "vintage" version comes up for sale on a relatively regular basis, generally because somebody botched a "re-sharpening" job. Your Work Sharp will render that "point" (pun intended" moot. I usually pay between $65 & $95 for them. Sometimes an unused or even a new one shows up at exorbitant prices, I figure some collector might be willing to pay the asking price but not me.

BeeMaa
Is your belt knife stainless or carbon.
I know the cold steel is some sort of stainless but mine holds an edge well enough to skin a pig,half a dozen rabbits then a big billy goat. Put it on a diamond oval stick and it brings it back to a reasonable edge.
Bob
My Grohmann knife is high carbon stainless steel and holds an edge very well.
I believe the Cold Steel knife is some type of stainless, but doesn't hold an edge as well as mine.

I had a lucky find at a garage sale a few years ago and came across a D.H. Russel (Grohmann) Large Skinner. The elderly woman who sold it to me said it used to belong to her late husband, and wanted $10.00 for it. The sheath was moldy, and the carbon blade was pretty blotchy. I mailed the knife back to Grohmann, and for $25, they made it look brand new again and razor sharp. I bought a new leather sheath from them, the one with the side pouch that carries a sharpening rod. Makes a nice set, although the blade is a little big for some jobs. I also bought one of their Trout and Bird knives, and find it perfect for boning out everything from Rabbits to Ducks and works wonders on the more delicate jobs on a Deer.

The much copied DH Russell Canadian belt knife was originally conceived by Russell and made by Grohmann as a joint venture. I have one in stainless/rosewood and it has served me well. I actually prefer the Large skinner model for skinning only, but the original is much more versatile. The factory in Pictou, Nova Scotia is worth visiting.

The much copied DH Russell Canadian belt knife was originally conceived by Russell and made by Grohmann as a joint venture. I have one in stainless/rosewood and it has served me well. I actually prefer the Large skinner model for skinning only, but the original is much more versatile. The factory in Pictou, Nova Scotia is worth visiting.
@Longwalker
I to like the Canadian belt knife it was designed by D H Russell in 1958 and won many design awards. Mine is a flat grind carbon steel blade. I a l so have the cold steel copy that is good but can't hold a candle to the carbon blade

20200614_105504.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at an old post.
An Aussie knife maker has been offering a knife of similar shape to the Canadian belt knife.

It's the Zoe Zipper by R&N Blades. Looks like a nice little skinning knife with similar attributes to those above.

My most recent knife is a Smith & Sons Brave shown above my 25 year old Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife. Mrs BeeMaa uses the CBK as part of her daily kit in a custom sheath made by @CM McKenzie.
1665830885820.png

1665830913714.png

Not as pretty as a Grohmann Trout & Bird Knife...

On a recent goose hunt in Upstate NY this Havalon Piranta with interchangeable blades was a very useful tool. It made short work of the geese taken with no worries of having to sharpen. It was as sharp as surgical scalpel, and the short thin blade made precision work easy. My friend (called IGS for internet anonymity) was amazed at how quickly I was able to work because of this.

The only caveat is I used leatherman to make blade changes easier. But I normally take one anyway so it's not a huge deal. I averaged about 3-6 geese before needing a blade change...trade off for not having to carry a sharpener in the field.
1665833526225.png

chris.
if something happened where you and 10 women were the only people left on the planet, and it was your duty to repopulate the world, the kephart might be a good knife to help you and your entire family to survive.
bruce.

I’m sorry, I’d be too busy repopulating too be of any use.

@Quinton welcome to an old thread.

Bruce would have loved your answer sadly he passed away unexpectedly.
But I was lucky enough to meet with him and compare our Von Gruff knives over a coffee in Hahndorf.

The good news is our esteemed friend and resident knfe maker Garry is still going strong.

If you like custom knives he has many options on some of his own designs.

Ask for @Von Gruff or pm him or look for his threads if these interest you

@Quinton welcome to an old thread.

Bruce would have loved your answer sadly he passed away unexpectedly.
But I was lucky enough to meet with him and compare our Von Gruff knives over a coffee in Hahndorf.

The good news is our esteemed friend and resident knfe maker Garry is still going strong.

If you like custom knives he has many options on some of his own designs.

Ask for @Von Gruff or pm him or look for his threads if these interest you

That is such sad news. Thanks for letting me know. I’ve been following the Von Gruff knives and love them.

I appreciate the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg