Single vs Double bevel broadheads

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
does any one have any experience on plains game using single bevel vs double bevel. have read about pros of each but never seen any field reports on comparison besides videos of shooting in animal parts.leaning towards using the drt broadhead for my trip offered both in single and double bevel.

Single bevel is supposed to break bones better. With the KE generated by today's compounds and crossbows, bone splitting is not a problem but is supposed to be avoided. I think if you Google "Ashby" you will see his findings on this subject. But then again, it was done many years ago.

Yes read Ashby study on single bevel broadheads , heavy arrows , momentum.
If you go with single bevel make sure you shoot right wing fletching for right bevel , left wing for left bevel. Forrest

I have taken a bunch of animals (I did a cull hunt along with a couple of other safaris) with a single bevel broadhead (Strickland Helix). I have noting but good things to say about them. I have never even shot a double bevel at an African animal .....

I've had very good results with double bevel on plains game up to and including eland. If I were hunting buffalo or hippo I'd go with single bevel.

I used double bevel 3-blade on my PG and double bevel 2-blade on my Buffalo. For my next safaris, I am upgrading to all single bevel on the 2 blade. I don't know if anybody makes a single bevel 3 blade but am probably just going to use 2 blade from here out for all larger PG. I can bring some double bevel arrows and do some penetration tests on my next hunts if people are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross