Single vs Double bevel broadheads

chiefdale

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
126
Reaction score
104
Media
27
Hunting reports
Africa
1
does any one have any experience on plains game using single bevel vs double bevel. have read about pros of each but never seen any field reports on comparison besides videos of shooting in animal parts.leaning towards using the drt broadhead for my trip offered both in single and double bevel.
 
Single bevel is supposed to break bones better. With the KE generated by today's compounds and crossbows, bone splitting is not a problem but is supposed to be avoided. I think if you Google "Ashby" you will see his findings on this subject. But then again, it was done many years ago.
 
Yes read Ashby study on single bevel broadheads , heavy arrows , momentum.
If you go with single bevel make sure you shoot right wing fletching for right bevel , left wing for left bevel. Forrest
 
I have taken a bunch of animals (I did a cull hunt along with a couple of other safaris) with a single bevel broadhead (Strickland Helix). I have noting but good things to say about them. I have never even shot a double bevel at an African animal .....
 
I've had very good results with double bevel on plains game up to and including eland. If I were hunting buffalo or hippo I'd go with single bevel.
 
I used double bevel 3-blade on my PG and double bevel 2-blade on my Buffalo. For my next safaris, I am upgrading to all single bevel on the 2 blade. I don't know if anybody makes a single bevel 3 blade but am probably just going to use 2 blade from here out for all larger PG. I can bring some double bevel arrows and do some penetration tests on my next hunts if people are interested.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,244
Messages
1,569,639
Members
168,746
Latest member
HeribertoL
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top