Single-Shot Rifles

Tony Parisi

AH member
Reaction score
I was wondering if members had any thoughts on the use of single-shot rifles for plains game. I happen to own a Ruger #1 in .300 H&H that I'm quite fond of and was considering bringing that rifle with me on my first trip to Africa -- has anyone used single shot rifles for African hunting? How would a PH likely feel about a client showing up with a single shot for plains game? Many Thanks!

I think your #1 an excellent choice.

There are several members that post about hunting with single shot rifles. Hopefully some of them will jump on here and speak from experience. I have a 1H in .416 Rigby which is fun to shoot, just hold on! I personally would be hesitant to hunt any DG with a single shot for obvious reasons. But there are those that claim to reload and fire a ss as fast as some can shoot bolt guns! For plains game, I can't think of a reason not to use one if that is what you desire!

I think that you would be fine.
HPIM0338.JPG
Just sayin...

I know the original question is around plains game, but it seems like the general consensus is pretty well implied - single shot PGR's are good to go, SO, if it's not rude to do so, I'd expand that question to DG too. Do people really use single shot mid and big bores for DG? How do PH's feel about that?

I see a lot of mid and big bore Ruger No.1's running around, does anybody really hunt DG with them? Or are they really just an affordable option for some statesiders to own an "elephant gun"?

The only time I might think of a PH being twitchy on it would be on DG.
Otherwise, have at it.

Just don't miss and you PH will be just fine. :)

Thanks to all! That pretty much answers my question. There was a special run of .300 H&H No. 1 rifles a few years back. I originally passed when they were new. Came across one used (though there wasn't a mark on it) along with a Leupold VX-III for a very good price. A cut above the norm in terms of fit and finish. Nice looking without being extravagant. A very nice shooter as well, quite accurate. Seems to me it would be an appropriate caliber for plains game.

I would say that the 300 H&H is a little more then appropriate for PG hunting, it's more like perfect. The number 1 in the picture I posted is a 300 H&H, it has some gold inlays and a bunch of fancy scroll work on it. I didn't have that done, it came that way. I bought a $20 raffle ticket for it just like a couple hundred other guys did, the only thing different for me was that my ticket got drawn. Some guys thought that I was nuts when I told them I was taking it to Africa. They thought that it was too pretty to shoot, but the darn thing shot too well not to take it along.

Hi Jduckhunter -- Congrats on the excellent return you received on that $20 investment! As far as the cartridge, that's exactly what I thought -- the 300 H&H should just about be perfect for PG. My only concern was that the Ruger is a single shot rifle and I wasn't sure how your average PH would feel about that. In my experience, rarely have I needed to make a fast follow-up shot, and I can reload that Ruger fairly quickly. Not as as fast as a bolt, of course, but quick enough. Very versatile as well. Loaded with 165 grain Sierras, it shoots at flat as a .270 for deer. Or I can go to 200 or 220 grainers for bigger animals, like Kudu and Gemsbock. As for being too pretty to hunt with, that gives me a chuckle. I've noticed there are people on this forum who hunt with rifles that cost more than a new SUV and they hunt them all over the world, including wet, marine environments like Alaska. They were meant to be used. Ciao!

Tony in 2013 I took a TC encore in 9.3x74r and used it very happily, on Kudu, Impala, bushbuck, diker, blesbok, and blue wildebeest. My PH was very happy after I shot my diker the first morning at 105 meters and the Kudu was at 310m. Your #1 will perfect for plains game. For dangerous game there are better choices IE Large double rifle:) However you will need to discuss that with your PH ahead of time. Africa was hunting with single shots muzzleloader for a long time before there were doubles or bolt guns.

I don't think you will have any problem at all , check with your PH in advance.

#1's are great rifles .

Hi Tony Parisi,

One of my friends (Jeff Loffert) has used a Ruger single shot on one safari and a drilling (rifle barrel was single shot in this case) on another safari.
Both trips, he was very satisfied with the results.
I was present at the evening fire when his PH commented something like: "I really like that Ruger #1".

Also, I used a .300 H&H on my first safari with 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
It was a repeater (Mauser) but, at the end of the day, it could have just as well been a single shot for the way things turned out.

Likewise, I have used the .300 H&H in Alaska more than once or twice with perfect results.
And I'd happily use that cartridge again pretty much anywhere on earth, for most game animals I have either hunted or have studied-up on.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hi Tony Parisi,

One of my friends (Jeff Loffert) has used a Ruger single shot on one safari and a drilling (rifle barrel was single shot in this case) on another safari.
Both trips, he was very satisfied with the results.
I was present at the evening fire when his PH commented something like: "I really like that Ruger #1".

Also, I used a .300 H&H on my first safari with 180 grain Nosler Partitions.
It was a repeater (Mauser) but, at the end of the day, it could have just as well been a single shot for the way things turned out.

Likewise, I have used the .300 H&H in Alaska more than once or twice with perfect results.
And I'd happily use that cartridge again pretty much anywhere on earth, for most game animals I have either hunted or have studied-up on.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I'm going to have a 300 H&H as well as a 404J one of these days. I missed a custom M70 in 300 H&H last spring at the Tulsa show. Should have bought it ($2300). But want to make a trip to Africa first!

September last year I took my Ruger 1 in 300 WM to SA and shot it 6 times and got five animals down. Impala, Warthog, Nyala, Gemsbuck and Red Hartebeest the only one that took two shot was the Warthog and only because my PH was worried about a bunch of holes in the area that it might go down.

None of the other animals had more than a 50 yard tracking job.

I would say you will be in good shape!!

image.jpg

Tony your Ruger #1 will be great on a plains game hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.