AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
KZN Hunters
Hunted
South Africa
Hi all,

Received my 270 and shot some great animals last week. Now I need some advice on silencers please. How many stages, are they recommended etc. will be using the rifle on African plains game.

I've only shot a handful of times with a silencer (my buddies). It was fantastic - takes away the "crack" of the rifle, reduces recoil quite a bit (made a 300 Win Mag feel like .270 or maybe a .30-06 as far as recoil goes). Liked it enough I've started the process to get my own.

I will leave it to others who have hunted to share their experience.

@bazza - I bought my first suppressor 3 years ago and added another earlier this year. I have positively fallen in love with them.

I see that you are in the RSA therefore I do not know what makes and models you may have access to but my biggest advice would be to shop for the shortest and lightest unit you can find that is rated for the cartridge and barrel length that you intend to use it with. I do not put a lot of emphasis on gaining or losing a few db of noise reduction. Even though I love them, when they are long and heavy they will quickly make a rifle handle like a long lead pipe.

Good luck with your search and feel free to ask any other more specific questions you may have.

BD

Good day Bazza

I have silencers on all of my rifles. Although I am no expert on this, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.
For your .270 - have a look at the Silent Striker. I have one that I use on my .375H&H whenever ladies or recoil shy hunters use this rifle.
It has 10 chambers and it is ported. I would recomend it any day.
If you ever venture up North towards Zululand- give me a shout, maybe we can meet up on a range and you can get some first hand experience.

I was able to use a few on trips to New Zealand, but they are a major hassle to get/use in the US. Too bad the silencer users don't have the lobbyists that are pushing legalization of Marijuana. But there are too many gangster movies out where a silencer is used which prevents the citizens from ever getting a rational perspective on their beneficial uses, let alone all the Brady Bunch antis. Fortunately you don't have that problem in So. Africa.

Good day Bazza

I have silencers on all of my rifles. Although I am no expert on this, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.
For your .270 - have a look at the Silent Striker. I have one that I use on my .375H&H whenever ladies or recoil shy hunters use this rifle.
It has 10 chambers and it is ported. I would recomend it any day.
If you ever venture up North towards Zululand- give me a shout, maybe we can meet up on a range and you can get some first hand experience.

Thanks Boela. I see they're also local.

My comment would be to verify your zero shift with and without the suppressor. How much the zero shifts with the can on and with it off will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and their mounting method. Some are noticeably better than others. What you are looking for is a consistent shift of your POI.

Example, I have a LaRue .25-08 with a LaRue TranQuilo suppressor on it. I know that my POI moves to the exact same spot when I mount the can, meaning it is very consistent and repeatable. That is what you are looking for.

Hi Bazza,
My feeling is once you’ve had one installed you’ll never look back. I agree with all,the comments posted above.
Make sure that you have the thread cut by someone who knows what he is doing - very expensive otherwise.
The local products are as good as and a lot more economical than most of the imports. Recommended makers to look for include Silent Hunter, Hog (on my rifles), Mute, Silent Striker, Oryx, Numenor, Sus-tac etc...

Just to give another perspective, I loathe them.
In the UK you get it added to your licence without actually asking for one and I have one and used it.
Hated it.
Yes it reduces recoil, noise but doesn't silence it.
I got fed up with looking at this can on the end of my beautiful rifle, the unbalanced feel and it clattering into branches.
I refuse to cut my barrels down to accommodate it so have hunted for the last few years without it.
I prefer the clean lines and improved feel and handling of an unmoderated rifle.
I don't believe it makes a difference to other surrounding wildlife as I have shot with a moderator and seen everything else disappear and conversely shot unmoderated and other animals in the vicinity have merely raised their heads and carried on grazing.
If you shoot hundreds of rounds a year it will probably benefit your hearing but as I shoot as a hobby and maybe only forty or fifty rounds a year including zeroing on the range (I wear ear defenders) I can live with the occasional bang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!