Silencer

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by bazza, Aug 27, 2017.

1. bazza

bazza AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Hi all,

Received my 270 and shot some great animals last week. Now I need some advice on silencers please. How many stages, are they recommended etc. will be using the rifle on African plains game.

CAustin likes this.

2. bazza

bazza AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Hi guys. Any feedback?

3. cagkt3

cagkt3 PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    I've only shot a handful of times with a silencer (my buddies). It was fantastic - takes away the "crack" of the rifle, reduces recoil quite a bit (made a 300 Win Mag feel like .270 or maybe a .30-06 as far as recoil goes). Liked it enough I've started the process to get my own.

I will leave it to others who have hunted to share their experience.

4. GA Hunter

GA Hunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    @bazza - I bought my first suppressor 3 years ago and added another earlier this year. I have positively fallen in love with them.

I see that you are in the RSA therefore I do not know what makes and models you may have access to but my biggest advice would be to shop for the shortest and lightest unit you can find that is rated for the cartridge and barrel length that you intend to use it with. I do not put a lot of emphasis on gaining or losing a few db of noise reduction. Even though I love them, when they are long and heavy they will quickly make a rifle handle like a long lead pipe.

Good luck with your search and feel free to ask any other more specific questions you may have.

BD

bazza likes this.

5. Boela

Boela AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland
    Good day Bazza

I have silencers on all of my rifles. Although I am no expert on this, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.
    For your .270 - have a look at the Silent Striker. I have one that I use on my .375H&H whenever ladies or recoil shy hunters use this rifle.
    It has 10 chambers and it is ported. I would recomend it any day.
    If you ever venture up North towards Zululand- give me a shout, maybe we can meet up on a range and you can get some first hand experience.

bazza and Quinton like this.

6. Ray B

Ray B AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I was able to use a few on trips to New Zealand, but they are a major hassle to get/use in the US. Too bad the silencer users don't have the lobbyists that are pushing legalization of Marijuana. But there are too many gangster movies out where a silencer is used which prevents the citizens from ever getting a rational perspective on their beneficial uses, let alone all the Brady Bunch antis. Fortunately you don't have that problem in So. Africa.

bazza likes this.

7. bazza

bazza AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Thanks Boela. I see they're also local.

8. Gunwritr

Gunwritr New Member

Member of:
    NRA, JPFO
    Hunted:
    North America, Europe
    My comment would be to verify your zero shift with and without the suppressor. How much the zero shifts with the can on and with it off will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and their mounting method. Some are noticeably better than others. What you are looking for is a consistent shift of your POI.

Example, I have a LaRue .25-08 with a LaRue TranQuilo suppressor on it. I know that my POI moves to the exact same spot when I mount the can, meaning it is very consistent and repeatable. That is what you are looking for.

bazza likes this.

9. Hearties

Hearties AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SAHGCA, SA WIngshooters, CPS, FBSSC
    Hunted:
    RSA, Botswana
    Hi Bazza,
    My feeling is once you’ve had one installed you’ll never look back. I agree with all,the comments posted above.
    Make sure that you have the thread cut by someone who knows what he is doing - very expensive otherwise.
    The local products are as good as and a lot more economical than most of the imports. Recommended makers to look for include Silent Hunter, Hog (on my rifles), Mute, Silent Striker, Oryx, Numenor, Sus-tac etc...

bazza likes this.

10. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England year round and Namibia x4
    Just to give another perspective, I loathe them.
    In the UK you get it added to your licence without actually asking for one and I have one and used it.
    Hated it.
    Yes it reduces recoil, noise but doesn't silence it.
    I got fed up with looking at this can on the end of my beautiful rifle, the unbalanced feel and it clattering into branches.
    I refuse to cut my barrels down to accommodate it so have hunted for the last few years without it.
    I prefer the clean lines and improved feel and handling of an unmoderated rifle.
    I don't believe it makes a difference to other surrounding wildlife as I have shot with a moderator and seen everything else disappear and conversely shot unmoderated and other animals in the vicinity have merely raised their heads and carried on grazing.
    If you shoot hundreds of rounds a year it will probably benefit your hearing but as I shoot as a hobby and maybe only forty or fifty rounds a year including zeroing on the range (I wear ear defenders) I can live with the occasional bang.

bazza likes this.