Sight height

robtattoo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia
I have an old, battered Remington 721 that is currently being rebored to 9.3x62. I've already abbreviated the barrel to 20", since short & handy is more important to me than velocity.

It has the factory rear Buckhorn ramp site, dovetailed into the barrel, but the front sight ramp ended up on the shop floor, along with the 4" I chopped. Initially this was going to be a scope only build, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to recreate a traditional DG rifle; install a barrel band sling mount, express rear sight & ramped bead back on the noisy end.

Being that I'll be basically starting from scratch, with no frame of reference; is there a formula for calculating front & rear sight height or is it more a trial & error situation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.17.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.17.17 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.17.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.17.20 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
This might help. (Just remember to accommodate for cheek to center of eye for rapid alignment with the sight)

If I'm understanding correctly, I should install the new rear sight to whatever height works comfortably & instinctively with my cheek weld, then figure out the required front sight height, right?

Thank you for the links, by the way!

If I'm understanding correctly, I should install the new rear sight to whatever height works comfortably & instinctively with my cheek weld, then figure out the required front sight height, right?

Thank you for the links, by the way!

That’s my understanding of the theory, but @rookhawk knows the fitment end better than I. He may be able to point you in the right direction there.

I have an old, battered Remington 721 that is currently being rebored to 9.3x62. I've already abbreviated the barrel to 20", since short & handy is more important to me than velocity.

It has the factory rear Buckhorn ramp site, dovetailed into the barrel, but the front sight ramp ended up on the shop floor, along with the 4" I chopped. Initially this was going to be a scope only build, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to recreate a traditional DG rifle; install a barrel band sling mount, express rear sight & ramped bead back on the noisy end.

Being that I'll be basically starting from scratch, with no frame of reference; is there a formula for calculating front & rear sight height or is it more a trial & error situation?
@robtatto
Skinner sights can do a matched set of open sights, peep sights and they have an online calculator to help work it out or you could just call them with barrel measurements and let them work it out for you.

You can also work the field expedient method of getting the correct front sight height, use the rear sight you want, put the front NECG base on and then take a zip tie and cinch it down with about 1/2 in sticking straight up from the top of the front sight base. Then shoot a couple shots trim the zip tie down till you have your load hitting where you want. Carefully measure the height in the zip tie and then purchase the NECG front sight blade insert to match the height and confirm at the range and you are in business.

You can also work the field expedient method of getting the correct front sight height, use the rear sight you want, put the front NECG base on and then take a zip tie and cinch it down with about 1/2 in sticking straight up from the top of the front sight base. Then shoot a couple shots trim the zip tie down till you have your load hitting where you want. Carefully measure the height in the zip tie and then purchase the NECG front sight blade insert to match the height and confirm at the range and you are in business.

GENIUS! That's such a brilliantly simple solution!

In addition to determining the height of the sights with respect to your eye, you need to have the height of the bead and notch align. this would be done by setting each bead, notch a specific distance from the center of the bore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross