Show Us Your Hunting Knife

I know that the judges have quite often commented when one of the contestants has too small of a tang when the plans call for a hidden tang. I also wonder at times if there might also be a nick or grinding err on the tang just before the blade.

But I agree the show is one reality show that I really enjoy. It is amazing at some of the quality that is put out by the contestants undet the time constraints that they are under.

True, if the particular pattern calls for a hidden or blind tang, no choice. But I do see some of the contestants purposefully do it even though they have the choice of a much more robust handle attachment. Also true that there are some really well made and attractive blades produced under the extremes of the skills required and time constraints of the program.
It is so often the actual tang design and sometimes the time constaint that makes the difference.
a hidden tang can and should start out almost full width with no stress risers and make a double angled shape toward the end of the tang.
In the quick sketch the circled area is where the stress often occurs so needs to be lightly radiused (as is the full length of the tang) so there is no spot for the stress to start and with the wide tang at this point going through usually a metal bolster or spacer there is plenty of strength in the bolster material to withstand the stress against the wide tang slot and as the tang narrows into the handle it is a simple matter to do the tang slot but this is not a quick process and time constraints mean the contestants often rush the tang forging and end up without the stress relief or alternatively forge the tang too narrow to speed up fitting to the handle .
20210919_162119.jpg

Last edited:
No photos... But... I have a Buck 105 I received as a gift in HS. It has been a part of every big game animal I have ever skinned. After nearly 40 years I am trying to transition to a new knife, a Buck Mesa. I also, in recent years, have made use of a Gerber Vital. I hope to own a Von Gruff someday, but I put that on hold a wee bit (along with other things) with Africa and its trophies having happened this year. Need to not push the financial manager TOO far... ;)

No photos... But... I have a Buck 105 I received as a gift in HS. It has been a part of every big game animal I have ever skinned. After nearly 40 years I am trying to transition to a new knife, a Buck Mesa. I also, in recent years, have made use of a Gerber Vital. I hope to own a Von Gruff someday, but I put that on hold a wee bit (along with other things) with Africa and its trophies having happened this year. Need to not push the financial manager TOO far... ;)
I hear ya! Most of us must be budget minded on many things or not participate! -just that simple :)
That Buck 105 is a good design and if not mistaken simply a scaled up version, with a 5" blade, of the 102 with the 4" blade. I took some of the belly off my 102 years ago and re-ground with a subtle hollow grind.

I still like the US MK2s and MK1s as all around, hard use knives. And I think at least one company is still making decent knock offs. Actually the MK1 I believe was the design basis for a bunch of the "hunting" knives by different companies that hit the market post WW2. No experience with the new ones though? And old original, as issued models, in decent shape, are collectible and somewhat valuable- so I avoid using them.

For both budget and quality, I would consider one of the Nordic/Scandinavian knives. Not necessarily the bushcraft versions with the wood handles but the modernized ones with the non-slip, textured, hard rubber type handles. Their blade steel is high quality carbon. 2-3 years ago I bought a couple of them for about $15 ea delivered to my door. Was at a Sportsman's last week and they have similar selections in about that same price range. I would not hesitate to use or carry one as my primary hunting knife. The beauty is they are priced at nearly a disposable level- so loss or abuse is not much of a worry. "Use them as a tool and not look back" kind of a thing.

Here are two. Top is a Marttiini of Finland and bottom is a Mora of Sweden. Martiini left some of the heat treating scale and color on the flats- probably for marketing appeal :)
Martiini and Mora knives.jpg

Last edited:
@Tundra Tiger the thread is show us your hunting knife , it doesn't have to be a custom.
If you have a hunting knife that's well used and has 40 years of memories attached to it please show it.
It qualifies for the thread and it means a lot to you.

Due to scurrilous peer pressure from an Australian contingent, I now present a photo of my primary hunting knife. :A Photo:

I have had this nearly 40 years. It has had a part in skinning every big game animal I've ever killed on this continent, and assisted in at least as many that friends have shot. I wanted to take it to Africa but it was the only possession I had that gave me pause over the thought of if I it was somehow lost during transportation - so I left it. I both regret that decision and am at total peace with it. It's durable enough that on anything from a paddlehorn bull moose on down I use it to pop open the rib cage, like unzipping a coat. It did not work in that capacity on my largest bull, and I find no fault in the knife for that. It has been a trusted companion throughout my adult life and yet for some reason this is the first time I've purposefully taken a picture of it.

P1010066.jpg

Due to scurrilous peer pressure from an Australian contingent, I now present a photo of my primary hunting knife. :A Photo:

I have had this nearly 40 years. It has had a part in skinning every big game animal I've ever killed on this continent, and assisted in at least as many that friends have shot. I wanted to take it to Africa but it was the only possession I had that gave me pause over the thought of if I it was somehow lost during transportation - so I left it. I both regret that decision and am at total peace with it. It's durable enough that on anything from a paddlehorn bull moose on down I use it to pop open the rib cage, like unzipping a coat. It did not work in that capacity on my largest bull, and I find no fault in the knife for that. It has been a trusted companion throughout my adult life and yet for some reason this is the first time I've purposefully taken a picture of it.

View attachment 425436
Very nice. Knives that I've had a long time become like a trusted friend that you don't do any hunting without. Always there, always ready and (hopefully) always sharp. But it doesn't stop me from wanting another one. ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Like many of his generation my dad didn’t do much hunting until he got out of the service at the end of WW2. In about ‘46 or ‘47 he purchased a used Win M 54 carbine in 30-06 as his deer rifle and I believe this knife purchased new. It is a 5” Camillus, the civilian version of the US MK1. I was always impressed by how well it worked and the quality of the blade’s steel. 1967 deer season was the last time it was carried the field.

Camillus 5%22.png

Camillus ricasso.jpg

When I was 12 years old we were in Norway on a family holiday. I had some money saved up and spotted a knife that I had to have, dad took a bit of persuading but in the end I bought the knife. At 12 years old I didn't have much use for a sheath knife and didn't realise how good it actually was but boy I loved that knife. It was looked after up until it came with me on my first roe stalking trip and since then it has been with me on every stalking trip i have been on, it was also with me in Namibia a couple of years ago.
It's a Brusletto knife from a collection they made to celebrate 100 years of the company, 1896 - 1996.

20210921_184418.jpg
20210921_184431.jpg
20210921_184442.jpg
20210917_064957.jpg

@Arthur Morta
Thanks for posting! I took the liberty of re-posting here. I like this knife. It has some nice lines and I'd guess pretty good ergonomics for heavy use. Obviously a serious tool. Would have same function as some of the older, heavy use designs from the mid to late 1800s as supplied by the trading companies and seen in the organized buffalo (bison) hunting camps. Marketed in North America and labeled by some as the Hudson's Bay Camp Knife or buffalo knife. Many were imported from Sheffield cutlers.
Bottom pic is a Hudson's Bay Camp Knife by Jukes Coulson- Sheffield. It has a heavy 9" blade.

View attachment 425139

View attachment 425143

View attachment 425145
Thanks for sharing @forfive8 ;)
I do like the balance of this new blade.

At the moment I have three knives I have made and use with this blade with slightly different handles. This one with redwood, box elder, and dyed maple burl has been my go-to the past two seasons for caribou.

After that it's a Buck 110 with plastic handles scales. I recall it called a buck lite in the 80s, don't know what the newer model is called. Tried and true tool for me amongst way too many pocket knives I own.

20210924_203910.jpg

@Ryan - That is a great looking knife.

The members of AH continue to surprise and inspire me with their skills. With a site called "Africa Hunting" I'd expect the skills of marksmanship, gunsmithing and reloading to be very prominent. But seeing how many of you are so skilled making knives for yourselves and others is amazing. Thank you all for sharing.

So true, a bunch of very nice knives shown by a lot of talented smiths. Here are a couple of custom knives I don't use because, as gifts and works of art and craftsmanship, I won't risk damage or loss. Both have full tang and pinned slab handles. Top is a general purpose knife with a 4 1/2" blade and burled hardwood handle. Bottom is a bird/fish knife with a 3 3/4" blade and buffalo horn handle.

crop custom knives.png

Hello,

I have, and use, many unting knives. Here are some of my favorites.

The first is a 4 1/2" Loveless model made by Perpiñá & Porcel, argentine knifemakers in 440C
P8170179.jpg
P8170180.jpg
PB260004.jpg

This is an original old puukko unknown maker, very good carbon one!
P8170182.jpg
P8170181.jpg

This is a Fallkniven F1 with 3g steel. Great knife and long lasting edge with that 62 Rc steel
P4030531.jpg
P4030532.jpg
P4030533.jpg

This one is a PUMA model OUTDOOR stainles. 11 cm lenght blade. I bought a blade alone, modified some the handle and do the handle in Red Deer antler. I like this one and is one of my all around favorite candidate.
P1150394.jpg
P1150395.jpg
P1150398.jpg
P1150399.jpg

This last one, still unused, could be my all around all time favorite. Will see... A Bark River Bravo light 1,25 full convex in CPM Cruwear semi stainless steel.
20210312-124411.jpg
20210312-124439.jpg
20210312-124530.jpg
20210312-124545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious to hear about anyone’s field use experience, including any bladesmiths, with true Damascus or Wootz steel hunting/utility knife blades. Quite a few of the pattern welded varieties show up but few or no Wootz/crucible steels…

…what? no +ULFBERH+T blade experience out there :):)

Toying with idea of melding the 1000 year old technology of that steel with a modern handle material like Micarta to put together a usable hunting/utility knife. Looking to expend a little DIY shop time next couple months on a budget project. I’ve noticed more Wootz blanks and billets available lately.

Last edited:
Ok here are a few of mine
E4890684-21D7-4044-B53F-814EDB3CF4A0.jpeg
87ED4E54-A9BA-4125-B1A4-0ABBB6E697FA.jpeg
AED4824D-DFEF-4BC1-AEA0-6EF6964C6C0E.jpeg
96669030-85AC-4413-BB8B-B7F58305667C.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B707213-460A-4636-9971-DB980197246B.jpeg
    7B707213-460A-4636-9971-DB980197246B.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 97
  • C118BB22-9A90-4898-A797-73D5D87C627B.jpeg
    C118BB22-9A90-4898-A797-73D5D87C627B.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 80
  • 78188822-9734-4BB6-A466-B72EAAC78B44.jpeg
    78188822-9734-4BB6-A466-B72EAAC78B44.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 81
  • 5A5429EA-FA2D-4375-8F68-F97ACF4102AB.jpeg
    5A5429EA-FA2D-4375-8F68-F97ACF4102AB.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 86
On Friday I used a 30 year old Swiss Army knife to process an elk. I had two other knives (including my favorite a William Henry and the buck knife in the photo) but opted to use this one because I never had. I wanted to know if it would work. The answer is yes!
the drawbacks: it isn’t very comfortable to use and the blade doesn’t lock. After thousands of mile of travel with that little Swiss Army knife, it was time to test it out. I’m glad I did.

note: the Victorinox pocket dual knife sharpener is really useful to carry. For $20 it is a great item to sneak into your pack. It also sharpens the crappy cooking knives at places that I stay.

0421EF35-3AFC-4D1E-B575-4D10248A9BC7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg