Show Us Your Hunting Knife

I said to paint a hideous scope one time and now I'm being dragged into a knife debate. Good God! That thing is hideous. It looks like somebody mated a cheese spreader to a paint brush handle and then let a first grader make it Magic School Bus themed. Sorry @BeeMaa I'm glad you decided to undo that.

As far as a practical knife in the field, it's a Gerber folder with a gut hook on it. Coolest knife I ever had cost me a squirrel. It was a Schrade old timer see slayer. Dog brought it to me on a belt and dropped it at my feet. It had been in the woods for some time. Shot a squirrel and gave it to the dog in trade.

I don't understand the look at me knives. I prefer a knife to have positive grip especially when hands are covered in blood. Other than that I like it to be easy to clean and hold an edge. It's a tool for gory work. I'm happy to keep it simple.
I missed this comment first time that’s some trade

My latest Custom addition from Alan Stewart here in Zimbabwe.
Handle are ebony, picked up in the Save on one of our previous hunts together...
IMG-20230628-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20230813-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20230813-WA0011.jpg

This knife is one of my most prized, or I guess a better way to say it would be, important to me possessions. My father bought it at a shop in Killeen Texas, near Ft Hood when he was a young man. It traveled the world with him including a tour in Vietnam. He gave it to me when I was in my early 20's. It was with me through a 24 year military career, deployments in Europe, central America and Asia and many hunting trips. I just figured out about 10 years ago its actually valuable. Made by GW Stone.
20231224_004916.jpg
20231224_004858.jpg

This knife is one of my most prized, or I guess a better way to say it would be, important to me possessions. My father bought it at a shop in Killeen Texas, near Ft Hood when he was a young man. It traveled the world with him including a tour in Vietnam. He gave it to me when I was in my early 20's. It was with me through a 24 year military career, deployments in Europe, central America and Asia and many hunting trips. I just figured out about 10 years ago its actually valuable. Made by GW Stone. View attachment 576293View attachment 576294
Deep, what a classic shape blade and traditional materials - brass, wood handle, nice sheath with “honest wear”. I think 99% of its value is it’s “history” and that’s priceless !

I have a couple knifes I carry depending on what I am up to. When bird hunting or hunting small game I carry a set from Knives of Alaska called the Cub Bear and Muskrat combo with stag handles. My wife gifted me this set about 5 years ago and is one of my favorites. It is great for handling small game and skinning fur. My second knife is also a Knives of Alaska Pronghorn Hunter with orange handle my doughier gave me. This one I use for handing deer and bear

deer_knife_2.jpg
smallgame_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This knife is one of my most prized, or I guess a better way to say it would be, important to me possessions. My father bought it at a shop in Killeen Texas, near Ft Hood when he was a young man. It traveled the world with him including a tour in Vietnam. He gave it to me when I was in my early 20's. It was with me through a 24 year military career, deployments in Europe, central America and Asia and many hunting trips. I just figured out about 10 years ago its actually valuable. Made by GW Stone. View attachment 576293View attachment 576294
George Stone built some great knives. I have several. His shop was blocks from my home, lol,,,gruff guy, he was!

I have a couple knifes I carry depending on what I am up to. When bird hunting or hunting small game I carry a set from Knives of Alaska called the Cub Bear and Muskrat combo with stag handles. My wife gifted me this set about 5 years ago and is one of my favorites. It is great for handling small game and skinning fur. My second knife is also a Knives of Alaska Pronghorn Hunter with orange handle my doughier gave me. This one I use for handing deer and bear

View attachment 576447View attachment 576448

Now tell us about the gun!!

It is a Belgium made Abercrombie and Fitch 20 gauge O/U with an English straight stock, 26" barrels, and chocked IC/Mod. I traded a switch barrel rifle I had to a good friend for this shotgun. I spend more time chasing birds nowadays then big game hunting. Gun is light. and is a joy to carry and shoot.

This is my favourite out of the knives I made in 2023. Its my version of a Ray Mears "woodlore" knife. These are a bushcraft knife, so it would normally have a scandi grind, but I did this one as a flat grind since it went to a guy who spends more time taking deer apart than making fire sticks or snares or caving out cups.

The blade is 3.5mm NitroV steel, with a tapered tang. The handle is Gidgee, with brass Loveless bolts and thin red liners. My first time using Loveless bolts, and I used Ubeaut Aussie Oil as the finish on the handle for the first time.

The feedback from the guy this knife went to has been really positive, which is really good to hear. He lives in prime sambar country and takes a lot of deer, so the fact he is happy with this is some of the best feedback I have had on one of my knives.

IMG-3342.jpg
IMG-3346.jpg
IMG-3349.jpg
IMG-3355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys have some beautiful knives.
I used to carry an old buck from my dad and occasionally my old ka-bar from my flight gear but I got more practical after about 30 white tail.

It gets some comments but my kill kit is a Dexter and an outdoor edge zip blade.
My thought is the long, flexible blade stays sharper longer with more edge length to use. And .. it's soft metal and easy to get razor sharp. That makes it really fast.

The zip blade is the best tool ever. I'm super impressed with it. Unzips from ankle to ankle like undoing a ziplock bag on a deer.

Unfortunately the Dexter's don't have sheaths so my dad made this one for me. Lipstick on a pig but it's something from dad and it works great.
1000002003.jpg

Left is a nice chopper/cleaver my late wife had made for me. Right is a Boker. They make a great team.

Cheers

View attachment 480691
Perfect little chopper. For a long time I just couldn't figure out how frozen bones could knock chunks out of the edge of my cleavers until I saw one just starting. The edge itself had bent sideways just a bit and since the bone was round, it made a semi-circular bend. Bending it more over with another stroke would have broken it off, hence the missing chunks like Hagar the Horrible's axe. Did it with both expensive cleavers and cheap Chinese.

View attachment 576447View attachment 576448
TrapperEric, any knife called “The Muskrat” has to be great !

You guys have some beautiful knives.
I used to carry an old buck from my dad and occasionally my old ka-bar from my flight gear but I got more practical after about 30 white tail.

It gets some comments but my kill kit is a Dexter and an outdoor edge zip blade.
My thought is the long, flexible blade stays sharper longer with more edge length to use. And .. it's soft metal and easy to get razor sharp. That makes it really fast.

The zip blade is the best tool ever. I'm super impressed with it. Unzips from ankle to ankle like undoing a ziplock bag on a deer.

Unfortunately the Dexter's don't have sheaths so my dad made this one for me. Lipstick on a pig but it's something from dad and it works great.
View attachment 576558
I have a semi-flex 6” curved boning knife I use once the meat has been removed from the carcass to breakdown the muscle groups. It’s a great knife for that but a bit big for field use IMO.

I’m rummaging around looking for my zip knife that’s identical to the one you have. Planning on gifting it to a friend who harvests more deer than most I know…figured he’d get some good use out of it.

I have a semi-flex 6” curved boning knife I use once the meat has been removed from the carcass to breakdown the muscle groups. It’s a great knife for that but a bit big for field use IMO.

I’m rummaging around looking for my zip knife that’s identical to the one you have. Planning on gifting it to a friend who harvests more deer than most I know…figured he’d get some good use out of it.

I thought it was a little big initially but I got used to it. Easy to separate hip ball joints on the gambrel.
My buddy uses a 3" paring knife and is amazing with it.

@rifletuner - your work is exceptional :love:
Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback. (y)

I am still very much on my L plates, but I keep trying to improve. I feel like I am getting better lately.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the feedback. (y)

I am still very much on my L plates, but I keep trying to improve. I feel like I am getting better lately.
I havn't even got my Ls yet. :E Shrug:

I need to have a go at one in 2024.

I havn't even got my Ls yet. :E Shrug:

I need to have a go at one in 2024.
Let me know if you need any help when you get started. Its a pretty steep learning curve to begin with. But I have really enjoyed learning everything and seeing the improvement as I have progressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZGTS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob