Show off your 100-year-old guns

That one is on my wish list in either 30 rem or 35 rem.
My brother recently picked up one at a Montana gun show in 300 Savage. Much more useful cartridge in my opinion. He got it for almost nothing. It didn't work but Mike figured out the problem when at home. Someone didn't put it back together properly. He already inherited Mom's 98 Mauser in 300 Savage with Dad's reloading dies and brass so he's ready to roll.

At north of 250 years, this is the oldest shootable, functioning gun I have. It certainly hunted at one time but not by me. Afghan jezail of approx 55 caliber. Has very old, laminated, twist steel rifled barrel that possibly pre-dates the EIC Brown Bess, currently fitted lock. I've shot it but will not likely hunt with it. It shoots a patched roundball reasonably well.

I imagine it has hunted both two legged and four legged game like ibex. These were usually shot while rested on a forked bipod arrangement of some sort. Many mistakenly call these "camel guns" that were shot while riding a camel and holding the buttstock under the arm pit... fiction that makes for a good story but not so! ;) They were designed to be shot rested while in a semi-prone or prone position- kind of an early "sniper" rifle.
jezail .jpeg

jezail lock.jpeg

jezail muzzle.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a first, as a muzzleloading fanatic I have never seen or heard of a duel ignition system on a muzzleloader.

Cool. Thanks for posting this firearm.
I have read about them, but never seen one.

View attachment 603707126 yo Krag 30-40, shot a few deer w it but pics are not on my phone
I have a Krag also. My dad is in his mid 80's now and he has slowly started parsing out his rifles to my brother and I. Out of the 15-20 guns he has sent home with me over the last couple of years, the Krag is the one I desired the most... I remember shooting it as a kid and thinking it was possibly the coolest gun ever - open the gate and pour in a handful of shells in and start shooting! The smoothest action!
Unfortunately, since the covid panic, I haven't been able to find ammo, or at least affordable ammo. Guess someday I will finally start loading my own

Krag is also one of mine and my sons favorites, took me a while but i have accumulated about 120 brass and dies and plan on hunting with it more in the future, if you keep an eye on some of the forums classifieds ammo will pop up and sometimes pretty cheap

I suppose when you think about it, my P14 and M17 Enfields would be up there...

Roger
Truth be told till your comment I kind of forgot that my 1917's qualified here. They've all been reworked over the years. This one was a Winchester pedigree IIRC. It was redone to 375 H&H and was the first safari-class rifle I owned. And the first thing that drove me into reloading incidentally.

1714978865947.png

Just a clarification, model number is not an indicator of age. Serial numbers usually can lead to year of manufacture which will lead to age.

Just a clarification, model number is not an indicator of age. Serial numbers usually can lead to year of manufacture which will lead to age.
Yep, I’ve got a Mannlicher M1910, made 1930 IIRC.

Currently own 3 long guns that predate 1900. So well over 100yrs old.
1896 JP Sauer double rifle
Mid 1870's T&L Pryse 500bpe double rifle.
And a 12ga French double shotgun that I believe dates to the 1890's
All shoot well, I used the Sauer to take at least 4 black bear. I had to get help digging this dark chocolate bear out from under the a bunch of fallen trees.
All three are hammer guns.
IMG_20220829_201107332.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Here it is my DWM Original Sporter Mauser 1893. From my great grandfather. Made in 1897, so, 117 years old... The only one exactly like this I ever saw was in a site named Collectiblefirearms. Numbered around 200 more than mine. That one had factory double set triggers. Mine is semi retired right now. But still in his factory rust blueing and factory stock.

Km-16-5-001.jpg
Km-16-5-003.jpg
Km-16-5-004.jpg
Km-16-5-005.jpg
Km-16-5-006-t.jpg
P8091962.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't let this thread go by without posting a photo of my oldest Swedish Mauser. And yes, she is going to Africa this year with me. This one came out of the first batch of Swedish Mausers, that were in fact built by Mauser at their factory in Obendorf, Germany. She is 128 years old and has had a few "nips and tucks" as well as a face-lift along the way. BTW this is the only Obendorf Swede I've ever seen.
IMG_2166 (004).jpg
IMG_2168 (004).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WayneBoone

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?