Should I start reloading?

Saving money should not be the motivation to start reloading. It´s the accuracy, the individual designed ammunition which suits your weapon and the desired bullet which might not be available in factory loads. Also you can supply yourself with ammunition for "exotic" calibers...
Bullets.jpg

Saving money should not be the motivation to start reloading. It´s the accuracy, the individual designed ammunition which suits your weapon and the desired bullet which might not be available in factory loads. Also you can supply yourself with ammunition for "exotic" calibers...
View attachment 397467
I was mainly thinking of reloading for target practice. I only practice to 300yrds, so about anything os accurate enough for me. All the factory ammo hasnt made a difference in my 300yrd practice.
If I start reloading, I will still buy factory ammo for any hunting. Atleast until Im very confident in my ability.
I would hate to be the victim of my own shoddy craftsmanship. Haha

I started to get into shotgun reloading with my MEC grabber, and then I bought a RCBS rebel. However, with shortages, I haven’t bothered to take it out of the box.

If you want to do some longer range shooting in the future, there are some good ranges in AZ to give it a go (unlike here in KY).

I started to get into shotgun reloading with my MEC grabber, and then I bought a RCBS rebel. However, with shortages, I haven’t bothered to take it out of the box.

If you want to do some longer range shooting in the future, there are some good ranges in AZ to give it a go (unlike here in KY).
Ya, our range is 1000yrds. When i was younger i would do some of the local contests here out to 900yrds. My favorite was called the full bag marksman event. Open sights at 100yrds, followed by scope at 300yrds,600yrds and 900yrds. My 100yrds score always helped my failing 900yrd score. Lol
I still go watch some of the shoots. Those guys are getting crazy expensive with their equipment now days. Years ago i would see 1 or 2, 20k rifle set ups out there. Seems they all have a Barrett or Mcmillan now with a high dollar scope.

Last edited:
I was mainly thinking of reloading for target practice. I only practice to 300yrds, so about anything os accurate enough for me. All the factory ammo hasnt made a difference in my 300yrd practice.
If I start reloading, I will still buy factory ammo for any hunting. Atleast until Im very confident in my ability.
I would hate to be the victim of my own shoddy craftsmanship. Haha
True, you must excercise due caution but don't discount your ability.
You do need to be careful but I'm sure you can assemble a safe, reliable hunting round if you just do it right. There is a world of information out there.
Take the time to read at least one reputable source be it a handloader s guide or published internet source from a known reputable source/company/expert.
Then you start to understand the basics and ask questions and try other people s methods or ideas. Or ask advice on troubleshooting.

Been reloading almost 50 years. Learned how to do it with a Hornady reloading book. It's not that hard. If you do have a problem most people here will have an answer.

Ya, our range is 1000yrds. When i was younger i would do some of the local contests here out to 900yrds. My favorite was called the full bag marksman event. Open sights at 100yrds, followed by scope at 300yrds,600yrds and 900yrds. My 100yrds score always helped my failing 900yrd score. Lol
I still go watch some of the shoots. Those guys are getting crazy expensive with their equipment now days. Years ago i would see 1 or 2, 20k rifle set ups out there. Seems they all have a Barrett or Mcmillan now with a high dollar scope.
@Ike85123
Mate I remember watching the old fellas with their SMLE 303s with aperture target sights shoot impressive scores at 300, 600 and 1,000 yards then they switched to Australian made Omarks in 7.62x51
Bob

@Ike85123
Mate I remember watching the old fellas with their SMLE 303s with aperture target sights shoot impressive scores at 300, 600 and 1,000 yards then they switched to Australian made Omarks in 7.62x51
Bob
My dads favorite was his m1903a4. He used one in the service, and shot one for almost 50yrs. He would decimate those highend rifles at the range with it. I was always had luck with my 700 in 300wm.
But I believe its a different game out there today. I dont think my old 700 would hold a candle.

Ike85123, I started reloading back in 1981. I'm still using the same Dillon Progressive press. It started out as a Dillon 450 and was converted to a Dillion 550 about 2 years later. Virtually all of the necessary reloading paraphernalia except for the dies are multi-use, i.e. not caliber specific. The reason I bought a progressive press is that I'm a competitive handgun shooter and went through 6-8K rounds per year. You on the other hand would most likely benefit the most by getting a large single stage press. That will enable you to reload your 500 NE. I agree, that now may not be the best time to start reloading, but I don't know when it is going to get any better. I'm in full agreement with a suggestion made in a previous post to this thread. That being, make arrangements with a nearby reloader to use his equipment to the extent possible and you buy the respective dies if necessary, powder, bullets and primers. For sure you will learn more quickly working with an experienced reloader than on your own; and probably avoid crucial and possibly costly reloading errors. I tend to use a versatile powder that works in a number of different calibers.

There is no better time than the present to get started, just like planting a tree-the best time to plant it was 20 years ago, today is the next best time.
Not sure why so many don't think the economics are a good reason to handload. It is one of the best reasons to start. I started loading in the early 80s. One of my favorite cartridges is the 44-40. IF I could find any, it ran $1.50-$2.50 a round. Stupidly expensive. Casting my own bullets, I could load the 44-40 for $0.07! And I shot a lot of it in SASS back in the day. And that is just one of a bunch of calibers that cost a fraction to shoot as a result of reloading. As you will learn, the possibility of improved accuracy is sorta the holy grail of reloading-but you will save a bunch of $$ in the search!
You do not need 3-? presses, you need 1 (you will want to find a larger press to handle the 500NE, but that same press will go all the way down to a 218 Bee). You do not need an electronic measure, a balance scale works great (better, imo). I bought a tumbler 2 weeks ago, just because I had a bunch of range brass needing to be cleaned; you don't need one reloading your once fired brass. An inexpensive dial caliper is adequate. A set of Lee dippers will work ($9 ? I think) until you can find a powder measure. All in, a starter set can be put together for less than $400. And the press is going to be the priciest piece (Redding Big Boss 2 was a little over $200 a couple weeks ago, I know 'cause I bought one. This was my 2nd press, in 38 years). A Lee trimmer is only a couple bucks or just make your own.
Primers will be the toughest thing to get your hands on. Powder, just keep your eyes open for what's on the "need" list. I use IMR4350 in my 300Win and a lot of the other calibers. You have the brass. Might find you can swap some of that 300Win brass for some primers.
One of the best things I saw mentioned was, find a mentor. Someone who will help walk you through putting some rounds together. And read. Every manual has a section on "how to". Read several.
Have fun! Great way to spend an evening, save a buck, and improve your understanding of how your peashooters work.

There is no better time than the present to get started, just like planting a tree-the best time to plant it was 20 years ago, today is the next best time.
Not sure why so many don't think the economics are a good reason to handload. It is one of the best reasons to start. I started loading in the early 80s. One of my favorite cartridges is the 44-40. IF I could find any, it ran $1.50-$2.50 a round. Stupidly expensive. Casting my own bullets, I could load the 44-40 for $0.07! And I shot a lot of it in SASS back in the day. And that is just one of a bunch of calibers that cost a fraction to shoot as a result of reloading. As you will learn, the possibility of improved accuracy is sorta the holy grail of reloading-but you will save a bunch of $$ in the search!
You do not need 3-? presses, you need 1 (you will want to find a larger press to handle the 500NE, but that same press will go all the way down to a 218 Bee). You do not need an electronic measure, a balance scale works great (better, imo). I bought a tumbler 2 weeks ago, just because I had a bunch of range brass needing to be cleaned; you don't need one reloading your once fired brass. An inexpensive dial caliper is adequate. A set of Lee dippers will work ($9 ? I think) until you can find a powder measure. All in, a starter set can be put together for less than $400. And the press is going to be the priciest piece (Redding Big Boss 2 was a little over $200 a couple weeks ago, I know 'cause I bought one. This was my 2nd press, in 38 years). A Lee trimmer is only a couple bucks or just make your own.
Primers will be the toughest thing to get your hands on. Powder, just keep your eyes open for what's on the "need" list. I use IMR4350 in my 300Win and a lot of the other calibers. You have the brass. Might find you can swap some of that 300Win brass for some primers.
One of the best things I saw mentioned was, find a mentor. Someone who will help walk you through putting some rounds together. And read. Every manual has a section on "how to". Read several.
Have fun! Great way to spend an evening, save a buck, and improve your understanding of how your peashooters work.
@Woodcarver
Nowdays a good electronic scale is cheaper than a good beam balance.
Bob

@Woodcarver
Nowdays a good electronic scale is cheaper than a good beam balance.
Bob
Guess I haven't looked at them in a while. Not surprised the electronic version has come down, but I am surprised the mechanicals have gone up so much. The RCBS 500 is twice what it was 20 years or so ago when I gave one to a friend.

Guess I haven't looked at them in a while. Not surprised the electronic version has come down, but I am surprised the mechanicals have gone up so much. The RCBS 500 is twice what it was 20 years or so ago when I gave one to a friend.
@Woodcarver
I got my electronic scales for 29 bucks on sale. The cheapest beam scale was 49 and that was a Lee and they are not a bad beam
Bob

@Woodcarver
I got my electronic scales for 29 bucks on sale. The cheapest beam scale was 49 and that was a Lee and they are not a bad beam
Bob
One of the guys I worked with bought an electronic a couple years ago, think it's an RCBS. He spent several hundred bucks on it. This was my most recent pricing experience.
He isn't real happy with his. Says it is slow and has too much variation in the charge it throws compared by weighing on his balance beam. Are the electronic scales better suited to ball, flake or the really short extruded powders, rather than the long kernels like 4350?

One of the guys I worked with bought an electronic a couple years ago, think it's an RCBS. He spent several hundred bucks on it. This was my most recent pricing experience.
He isn't real happy with his. Says it is slow and has too much variation in the charge it throws compared by weighing on his balance beam. Are the electronic scales better suited to ball, flake or the really short extruded powders, rather than the long kernels like 4350?
If it's a Chargemaster, there are programming tweaks to get the three speeds it uses to better suit specific powders. There are youtube videos on how to do it.

From what I've read, we have some pro's on here with regards to reloading.
When does reloading make sense?
Cost of equipment and time vs money for factory ammo. I visit the local range 2 or 3 times a month.
Monthly rounds used.
60 to 80 300wm
10 500ne
50 44mag
20 12ga slugs
If i cant find the ammo, then I shoot something similar (308,30-06,357mag,375h&h)
Ive never thought I shot enough now days to reload.
Please give me your opinion. Thanks
If you need another hobby. My hobby is hunting and shooting and I let someone else make the ammo
In the current environment it may be that some have to reload to get what they want.
To each his own.
Philip

How is the second hand market there by you guys. Is this a viable option to enter the reloading game for someone who wants to start up? Especially with the prices these days. (Somethings I guess has to be bought new though like scales I would say)

There is sense of pride and satisfaction when you shoot an animal with your own reloads. At least it is for me. I've been reloading since I can remember, and I've never had issues having ammo during any of the shortages we've faced in the last 10-15 years. In fact, I believe I shoot more because I can reload much cheaper than what you can buy a box of 22 LR in today's market. :ROFLMAO: The time I spent in the reloading room is my time, and reloading ammo relaxes me. No interruptions, no distractions, just me and the dog. :)

Get with someone who reloads, learn and see if you like it. If you do end up liking it, jump in and do it. (y)

How is the second hand market there by you guys. Is this a viable option to enter the reloading game for someone who wants to start up? Especially with the prices these days. (Somethings I guess has to be bought new though like scales I would say)
The market here sucks ! We have 2 sporting goods stores that never have anything. And we have 1 small gunstore that doesnt off much either. If I reload, I will just order everything new,if I can find it. My town is t listed on Craigslist either, so gotta look an hour out for used items. Looks like amazon has presess and books. I will probably order a few books and manuals and read up on it before I buy any equipment.

BTW, Midway has these cartridge specific reloading books that are basically copies of other reloading manuals put into one. I have several, and they came in handy specially if you don't want to spend the money on every manufacturer reloading manual out there. I like them, and have them for mostly pistols cartridge, and some rifles.

Keep an eye on the "Pay it Forward-Free" in the classified section. I've seen a lot of reloading stuff for free in there. Also, since you don't have any reloading equipment, post something here and see what we can come up with. I'm sure we all have extra stuff laying around we don't need. I'll look around my bench, and I'll let you know next week what I find. (y)

Before I forget, if you happen to go to a store that has reloading equipment, the powder manufacturer usually have their own reloading manuals. Also, go into the RCBS website, there are a lot of useful videos.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.40 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.29.44 PM.png
    341.3 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.