Should I start reloading?

Go with a turret press if you want to have three sets of Dies, (thats 3 size dies and 3 seaters), set up at once. Although the lock rings do make for easy swapping.

I love my Redding T7 - which replaced a T6. The apprx 30 year old T6 is still in service at friend's, btw.

The 7th hole gets a universal decapping die.
 
Last edited:
Go with turret press if you want to have three sets of Dies set up at once. Although the lock rings do make for easy swapping.

I love my Redding T7 - which replaced a T6. The apprx 30 year old T6 is still in service at friend's, btw.
I was just curious. I have 2 large workbenches in the shed. So space isnt a problem. Just didnt know if 3 would be easier or not. I primarily shoot 500ne,300wm and 44mag. But also have plenty of other calibers.
Being new to this, I figure its better to ask all the dumb questions instead of spending money. Lol
 
I was just curious. I have 2 large workbenches in the shed. So space isnt a problem. Just didnt know if 3 would be easier or not. I primarily shoot 500ne,300wm and 44mag. But also have plenty of other calibers.
Being new to this, I figure its better to ask all the dumb questions instead of spending money. Lol

Consider a Forster CO-AX press, swapping dies takes literally a second.
 
So being new to reloading. I guess the consensus is to start with a single press. So would starting with 3 presses be desirable, if I basically only shoot 3 calibers?
@Ike85123
Still only need 1 press for your needs.
I have 2 presses Lee O frame and Lee C frame.
The C frame is mounted on a piece of timber and packed with a G clamp. This goes to the range with me for load development.
I take primed cases powder and scales plus projectiles. That way I can easily tweak loads to get the best without multiple trips.
The O FRAME stays mounted on my bench.
Bob
 
I was just curious. I have 2 large workbenches in the shed. So space isnt a problem. Just didnt know if 3 would be easier or not. I primarily shoot 500ne,300wm and 44mag. But also have plenty of other calibers.
Being new to this, I figure its better to ask all the dumb questions instead of spending money. Lol
You only need 1 press. Takes seconds to change dies/shell holder. You'll need a press with a long stroke for the 500NE (redding ultramag, and probably forster coax, check the specs!) You can get a second smaller/cheaper press to load pistol and shorter cartridges if you want, but it's not required, just saves some extra arm movement.
 
I was just curious. I have 2 large workbenches in the shed. So space isnt a problem. Just didnt know if 3 would be easier or not. I primarily shoot 500ne,300wm and 44mag. But also have plenty of other calibers.
Being new to this, I figure its better to ask all the dumb questions instead of spending money. Lol
I think long term, you might decide to have a go at the multi-stage press thing if you're loading volumes of .44mag. I know I was tempted.

That being the case, my advice would be to start with 1 press - a single stage O format big enough to handle the 500. An Ultramag maybe (although you might get away with an RCBS Rockchucker - mine did .375H&H with room to spare, and 500 isn't much longer).

Pick up dies for all your calibres, learn what you're doing, see if you like it, pay for that one with your 500ne load savings, then decide if you want a second. Personally, I'd be quite happy doing all the rifle stuff on one press long term, and I managed quite happily with 4 calibres (44mag to 375H&H) on a single stage O press of this type for several years. It's literally a 2 minute job to swap out dies and a case holder, and even setting up from scratch shouldn't take more than 10mins.

No point buying loads of stuff right of the bat, get the basics sorted first, then splurge on kit.
 
So being new to reloading. I guess the consensus is to start with a single press. So would starting with 3 presses be desirable, if I basically only shoot 3 calibers?
As others have pointed out, get a single press big enough to handle your longest cartridge, the 500NE in your case. Dies are easy to change.
I load 20+ different cartridges. Been assembling ammo for almost 40 years. I just bought, a month or two ago, my 2nd press. The only reason to get another was my old RCBS Jr2 isn't big enough to handle the longer cartridges I have started playing with.
Keep it simple. Get the basics and learn the process. Plenty of time to add gadgets after you know what you're doing.
 
As others have pointed out, get a single press big enough to handle your longest cartridge, the 500NE in your case. Dies are easy to change.
I load 20+ different cartridges. Been assembling ammo for almost 40 years. I just bought, a month or two ago, my 2nd press. The only reason to get another was my old RCBS Jr2 isn't big enough to handle the longer cartridges I have started playing with.
Keep it simple. Get the basics and learn the process. Plenty of time to add gadgets after you know what you're doing.
Ya, I have a bad habit of going overboard with hobbies. I have secured a few dies, no press yet. Was planning on getting some books and reading about the process and learning things before I even think about loading 1 single cartridge. Thanks for the reply. I will be back for many questions I have a feeling. Lol
 
Ya, I have a bad habit of going overboard with hobbies. I have secured a few dies, no press yet. Was planning on getting some books and reading about the process and learning things before I even think about loading 1 single cartridge. Thanks for the reply. I will be back for many questions I have a feeling. Lol
I have the same ailment. Always told my kid, the only reason I have a job is to support my hobbies, lol. Now I don't have a job, but I still manage to support the hobbies, just at a (little) lower level.
Manual, press, dies, scale, calipers, components (brass, powder, primers, bullets). This really is all one needs to reload a cartridge. And you can do it without the calipers, but they are cheap.
 
I have the same ailment. Always told my kid, the only reason I have a job is to support my hobbies, lol. Now I don't have a job, but I still manage to support the hobbies, just at a (little) lower level.
Manual, press, dies, scale, calipers, components (brass, powder, primers, bullets). This really is all one needs to reload a cartridge. And you can do it without the calipers, but they are cheap.
It figures that the calipers is the one thing i dont need. I have several in my tool box. Jusy my luck. Haha
 
Short and long answer is yes you should. I would recommend getting the RCBS starter kit. Has everything you will need to get started except components.
 
Ike, buy either an RCBS or Redding press; both will serve you well for the rest of your life. Make sure that the press you buy has a big enough opening to allow the biggest cartridge you are planning to load. I've included the RCBS link to their videos, some are very basic, but overall great info. Enjoy!


 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.09.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.09.57 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.09.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.09.58 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.10.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.10.00 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.10.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 11.10.23 AM.png
    185 KB · Views: 201
Ike, buy either an RCBS or Redding press; both will serve you well for the rest of your life. Make sure that the press you buy has a big enough opening to allow the biggest cartridge you are planning to load. I've included the RCBS link to their videos, some are very basic, but overall great info. Enjoy!


I appreciate it, thank you !
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,355
Members
169,530
Latest member
ShelbyKidd
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top