Should I bring the new .375 H&H for elk?

The .375 HH Magnum makes a fantastic elk rifle :) I would know . I have been using a Model 70 Winchester in this caliber for 13 years. Never failed to put an elk down with the double lung shot from a broadside position ( my favorite shot ) . Recently , however , l have acquired a beautiful .405 Winchester Model 1895 which l think will suit me well for Elk with Hornady Interlock vintage bullets :) . I also have a beautiful Custom ZKK- 602 in .350 Rigby Magnum which the gun's previous owner used to lay low 26 Elk using only kynoch 225 grain bullets :)

Take the .375!! Just got a .375 H&H barrel for my Blaser R8 and practiced a lot off of sticks at the range. Long range shots and 50 yard rapid (as reasonably possible) shots to build muscle memory and familiarity with recoil prior to this year's South Africa hunt. Took Choice Ammo loaded with 250 grain Barnes TTSX at 2760 fps . A good 25-300 yard round. Took a Zebra, Nyala, Impala and a Blue Wildebeest without problems. Will make an excellent elk stopper.

Hi,

Take your .375 H&H! A dandy Elk rifle. Even if you would not go to Africa.
Some pictures, with my Wincheste 70 Pre 64 I usually carried in the mountains after big Red Deer. Shooting mostly Hornady Spire Point 270 grs. The last R Deer with a Nosler Accubond 260 grs (2850 f/s). I think this Accubond is, for me, the best bullet for this kind of game, short and long shots, with the .375 H&H.
I used a variety of scopes. The older pictures with a Schmidt & Bender 1,25-4x20. The others with a Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42 and the last with a Zeiss Diatal ZA 4x32.

Good luck!

CF

Ciervo 1.jpg
Ciervo 2.jpg
Ciervo 3.jpg
P1030584.JPG
P1030597.JPG
P3240211.JPG
P3240216.JPG
P3240217.JPG
P3240218.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought the .375. My dad, hunting buddy and I got to shoot it at the range for the sight in near Bozeman. We arrived in Idaho yesterday and this morning was our first day out. I brought my 7RM this morning since it was easy and I am fighting some type of stomach flu (shakes, slept in my hunting thermal under layers last night.) We planned to have an easy day...

This is a cow elk meat hunt. We checked the lower fields at first light, no elk. So we decided to walk uphill a ways and see if we could read the sign of where they were moving recently. Fresh scat bolstered our spirits so we decided to walk uphill for a while for some glassing. Having planned 8+ days to hunt, we had time to figure out the best plan.

After creating a few rises, curiosity set in and the knife points in my stomach got a bit better. So we continued. Near 10:30 it was decided to check one more area, then head back for lunch.

To my surprise, the elk herd was spotted below us on the next hill. The we’re feeding away. We had the wind, but no better place to get closer, so we belly crawled a mere 30 yards and set up on the bipods. I ranged the shot at 372 yards. I did the countdown for both of us to shoot simultaneously.

My first mistake was to shoot at the same time. I have not practiced that enough and the few times I have done it The concussion of the rifle next to me causes a flinch. At the shot, Robert said, “she’s down!” I watched the elk I was aiming at: no reaction. Not wanting to shoot another, I waited and watched. Nothing. No sign of injury as the herd moved off uphill, still unaware of where the shots came from. I had completely missed.

After they went out of sight, I grabbed my ammo pouch and rifle and began running. This part I do like. Elk hunting has always been similar to marathoning, another sport I enjoy.

When i crested the next hill I saw a few nice bull elk, but no cows. The bulls were 600+ yards away and didn’t indicate they saw me. I advanced another 100 yards and got a better look down into the draw i thought the cows had gone. A lone spike bill was at the bottom. I ranged him at 280 yards. I suspected the cows would follow so I got down on my gun again. Within seconds the rest of the herd arrived. I watched all of the animals as they moved uphill, stopped, moved, and stopped. Clearly no sign of an injured cow.

The waiting and watching was costing me distance. 280 yards turned into 300, then 350, then 400. With mostly low sage brush and no trees, I could see the hillside and below me. Certain that I had not previously connected, I waited for a good presentation and sent a 180 grain bullet 472 yards. The time waiting and watching helped me to be calm and shoot straight. I heard the bullet impact and watched the cow buck, then try move uphill only to turn downhill at a run. She piled up after a few strides.

I would not have taken that shot with my .375. But I have not practiced with it at long ranges like I have with my 7RM. The .375 will hang out in Bozeman until November when we go to BC to hunt moose. I will get to carry it for less open country elk hunting in Montana November as well.

10 hours later we made it back to the house! It was a massive effort to drag two elk out of steep country to a road.

With meat in the freezer, the pressure is off! It was an uncommon blessing to get two elk the first morning out.

(The second mistake was my buddy tipping over the ATV on a side hill)

@Tra3 That is one hell of a way to sweat out a cold.
Well done.

Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg