Short action magnums

I was a LMG and then PKM machine gun as primary weapon and my high frequency hearing is fu....
I find it very difficult to have cinversation when there is music or a few people speaking around me.
I also speak way too load as I cannot hear myself if I speak normal.....
Phone needs to be on speaker most the time....

Protect your hearing while you can.....and yes I hate muzzle brakes....
+1 for me on all the difficulties you've described related to hearing loss. Mine was from shooting trap/skeet/dove hunting as a young man without hearing protection. Almost nobody wore ear muffs back then. Probably thousands of rounds! For many years NOW, I always wear some type of hearing protection even when mowing the lawn. We can't get our hearing loss back, but we can mitigate further hearing loss.

@MISoprtsman
The 9.3x62 or the 35 Whelen with a 22 inch barrel will put a lot of hurt on game.
A properly loaded Whelen will equal the 9.3 and 338WM.
There's no flies on a 250gr 35 cal bullet at 2,700fps or a 310gn at 2,455fps. I'd you really need to reach way out yonder to wallop game then the 225gn at 2,900fps will do the job.
A very versatile round that is capable of delivering over 4,000fpe of muzzle energy and not beat you up.
A Savage 110 with a Shaw replacement barrel and you have an economical big hitter.
Bob

I was a LMG and then PKM machine gun as primary weapon and my high frequency hearing is fu....
I find it very difficult to have cinversation when there is music or a few people speaking around me.
I also speak way too load as I cannot hear myself if I speak normal.....
Phone needs to be on speaker most the time....

Protect your hearing while you can.....and yes I hate muzzle brakes....
@IvW
I have exactly the same issues.
At times it's great because I have difficulty hearing my wife while driving in Australia. When we were in Canada they drive on the wrong side of the road. The wife then sits on the other side and I can hear almost every word. I was good to get back to the quite drive in Australia.
Bob

@MISoprtsman
The 9.3x62 or the 35 Whelen with a 22 inch barrel will put a lot of hurt on game.
A properly loaded Whelen will equal the 9.3 and 338WM.
There's no flies on a 250gr 35 cal bullet at 2,700fps or a 310gn at 2,455fps. I'd you really need to reach way out yonder to wallop game then the 225gn at 2,900fps will do the job.
A very versatile round that is capable of delivering over 4,000fpe of muzzle energy and not beat you up.
A Savage 110 with a Shaw replacement barrel and you have an economical big hitter.
Bob
Actually I spoke to savage's custom shop and for around $1400 they can build me a model 110 bear hunter in 9.3x62 delivered to my local ffl

Actually I spoke to savage's custom shop and for around $1400 they can build me a model 110 bear hunter in 9.3x62 delivered to my local ffl
Wow! That's a real bargain! I didn't know Savage had a custom shop?

@MISportsman
No no get a 35 Whelen in 110 bear hunter. Better round than the 9.3x62.
The only disadvantage is the Whelen isn't legal on dg in Africa.
The Whelen just oozes class and case can be made from 06 or 270 brass if needed.
Bob

I'd have Savage put some iron sights on the rifle too?

They do, I read about it a wile back in I believe it was American hunter. I can give your their # if you're interested
Well, I'm still playing with my new 110 in .25-06, so I'm not looking for another rifle at the moment. I need to find a reasonably priced chronograph (never owned one) to try out some different loads. I've always gone by various reloading manual(s) data, but I want to try a chronograph.

@IvW
I have exactly the same issues.
At times it's great because I have difficulty hearing my wife while driving in Australia. When we were in Canada they drive on the wrong side of the road. The wife then sits on the other side and I can hear almost every word. I was good to get back to the quite drive in Australia.
Bob
We call it selective hearing.....aply when needed...

Well, I'm still playing with my new 110 in .25-06, so I'm not looking for another rifle at the moment. I need to find a reasonably priced chronograph (never owned one) to try out some different loads. I've always gone by various reloading manual(s) data, but I want to try a chronograph.
@CoElkHunter
Chrony do a chronograph for about 100 bucks.
When you start using one it will open your eyes to reality especially if you chrono a 243 because it can't match the hype.
When you set it up put a 22lr over the screens to verify the accuracy.
Mine reads a consistent 1,070fps with the 22, same as on the box so I know it right.
Bob

With there sounding to be a dismal future for most of these short action magnums I mentioned in an earlier post maybe either going with the .358 Winchester or giving the action I was going to use for the build to my son and buying a factory rifle
@MISportsman
Go the 358 you won't be sorry.
If you want to reach out with it load 225gn Sierra game kings. If you want closer range thump load a good ol 250gr round nose like Hornady or Woodleigh.
Bob

In my limited use (3 caribou and one black bear) the 358 Winchester is definitely a good killer. A 225 gr Swift A frame at 2410 fps through the lungs dropped a black bear a few steps from my bait station. A similar sized bear ran a good ways with a nearly identical hit from a 308 200 gr Partition at 2470 fps. Multiple other bears have died from 308 hits but none as quickly as the 358 bear.

Now the flip side. My 358 will lose velocity quickly. If memory serves me those Swift A Frames drop below 1800 fps at about 250 yards. Beyond that they might not expand. A few other bullets do better but 300 yards is probably the limit for most situations. My 308 will keep a 200 grain Partition above 1800 fps to about 400 yards. And I could load it with a more efficient bullet and stretch to 500 yards if I wanted to (never tried).

If 300 yards was a goal and the game didn't bite back I'd grab a 308 every time over a 358. Now Bob's 35 Whelen will do much better. But it's not a short action.

In my limited use (3 caribou and one black bear) the 358 Winchester is definitely a good killer. A 225 gr Swift A frame at 2410 fps through the lungs dropped a black bear a few steps from my bait station. A similar sized bear ran a good ways with a nearly identical hit from a 308 200 gr Partition at 2470 fps. Multiple other bears have died from 308 hits but none as quickly as the 358 bear.

Now the flip side. My 358 will lose velocity quickly. If memory serves me those Swift A Frames drop below 1800 fps at about 250 yards. Beyond that they might not expand. A few other bullets do better but 300 yards is probably the limit for most situations. My 308 will keep a 200 grain Partition above 1800 fps to about 400 yards. And I could load it with a more efficient bullet and stretch to 500 yards if I wanted to (never tried).

If 300 yards was a goal and the game didn't bite back I'd grab a 308 every time over a 358. Now Bob's 35 Whelen will do much better. But it's not a short action.

That's the way I'm leaning. The
358 win keeps looking better and better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrenGril

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.