Shooting sticks vs Tripod

Thanks for sharing. I still failed at finding them here, but that’s ok because this website is costing me too much money :Greedy:
Have you been introduced to the benefits of a double rifle?

All the heads work with all the legs, mono, bi, tri
I was so fixated on searching for quad sticks, it didn’t even hit me that you were just talking about the brand, so I kept looking on that site for quads. Lol :A Bang Head:

At the recommendation of my PH, I bought the Primos Trigger Stick. It is lightweight, easy to deploy, and has a tripod head attachment that is useless.

Cxurrently looking for a truly portable tripod for my Swaro 15 X 56 binos.

Manfrotto

Manfrotto
+1
I've used this brand for my spotter (plus a good head w/ QD attachment) for about 15 years. Researched it on a certain long range gun board. Mine is on the heavy side for field use, but they make different weights.

+1
I've used this brand for my spotter (plus a good head w/ QD attachment) for about 15 years. Researched it on a certain long range gun board. Mine is on the heavy side for field use, but they make different weights.
Manfrotto, then. They are well known for quality tripods and I own a Manfrotto 'Safari' model for photography. I am looking for something that I can strap to knapsack and that deploys quickly. This is mainly for hunting Coues whitetails.

I have some Trigger sticks and like them, though they aren’t perfect. I feel like traditional tripods would be improving on the features of the trigger sticks that already work well. Sure, a good tripod will be far more stable, but if you’re trying to make a really long range shot, you’ll probably be prone anyways or wish you were. I feel like the bulk and weight of even a high dollar carbon fiber tripod and proper head make it overpriced and/or impractical for use in hunting scenarios, at least for me. The quad sticks have captured my curiosity, as it seems plausible that there could be a beneficial enhancement to shot stability, a negligible increase in weight, and bulk comparable to sticks. At least that’s my internet research opinion. Hopefully my wallet will win the argument and stay closed…

I have some Trigger sticks and like them, though they aren’t perfect. I feel like traditional tripods would be improving on the features of the trigger sticks that already work well. Sure, a good tripod will be far more stable, but if you’re trying to make a really long range shot, you’ll probably be prone anyways or wish you were. I feel like the bulk and weight of even a high dollar carbon fiber tripod and proper head make it overpriced and/or impractical for use in hunting scenarios, at least for me. The quad sticks have captured my curiosity, as it seems plausible that there could be a beneficial enhancement to shot stability, a negligible increase in weight, and bulk comparable to sticks. At least that’s my internet research opinion. Hopefully my wallet will win the argument and stay closed…
In enough places and terrain in my first hunt in Eastern Cape, prone shooting wasn't possible to view animals, or would be difficult or painful from cactus. Sticks of some configuration were the best way to keep you off the ground.

So, I am in the beginning stages of planning a hunt to Africa. When I was in high school my dad and I were planning a trip to Africa, but then some political unrest happened and we never got to go. 30 years later...
Anyways, I have been reading that everybody shoots off shooting sticks for African plains game. I have a lot of time shooting off a tripod (PRS, etc) and I was wondering why more people don't just bring a tripod? My carbon fiber tripod with RRS head weighs about 4 lbs and is rock steady. The steadiness with a tripod with an Arca rail really is much more stable than a shooting stick and the deployment (if you practice with it) is very fast.
So, is it ok to bring my tripod or should I buy some shooting sticks to practice.

Thanks!

We brought my RRS tripod and never used it. Same mind set as you, it's a rock solid setup. Problem was it was not fast enough in most situations. Could it have worked, yes. It would have to carried extend so you could deploy it in a timely manner. Our PH Jacques with JKO had a set of viper flex quad shooting sticks. They were very fast, very stable, and very portable. Took my zebra at 280 yards with them and a Blesbok at 240. Just my experience.

One thing I can't get over with the quad style sticks is that they don't stand up on their own. So when shooting a heavy recoiling rifle, the sticks loose contact with the rifle and could fall to the ground. I'd like to see someone using the quad sticks with a big bore with full power loads AND getting a follow up shot off the sticks as well.
I'm not sure what you definition of big bore and full power loads means... I can give you my personal experience with the viper flex. 416REM 400gr AFrames at 2400fps. My buf was 92yards and I had to shoot at a good downward angle (was about 70 feet above him). I put 9 rounds into him, after about my 5th round I got a little sloppy. The front of the rifle slipped on the front, it did not come off the sticks. Part of the reason was shooting at the angle I was, no excuse I was still sloppy. Never lost contact with the sticks and rifle. Made follow up shots quickly, was able to leave the rifle on the sticks for quick reloads.

I'm not sure what you definition of big bore and full power loads means... I can give you my personal experience with the viper flex. 416REM 400gr AFrames at 2400fps. My buf was 92yards and I had to shoot at a good downward angle (was about 70 feet above him). I put 9 rounds into him, after about my 5th round I got a little sloppy. The front of the rifle slipped on the front, it did not come off the sticks. Part of the reason was shooting at the angle I was, no excuse I was still sloppy. Never lost contact with the sticks and rifle. Made follow up shots quickly, was able to leave the rifle on the sticks for quick reloads.
Thanks @Inline6. That's the kind of input I was looking for.

I currently have a email into Rudolph Optics to get the specs on their PH quad sticks. We will see how it goes.

For tripods, RRS and Spartan/Javelin both make excellent field oriented tripods. Manfrotto is also excellent but heavier with a photographer emphasis. My javelins are great because all legs/heads are interchangeable regardless of length, and can switch between tri/bi/mono pod in the field. I own them all but this is what gets into the field these days

When the use of quad sticks starting becoming popular some (5?) years ago I went to a gun shop that stocked a couple of different brands. The price difference between the Viperflex and the other brand was significant.
I asked the shop owner his opinion. Simply he said buy brand ##### and I’ll see you again. They’ll break. Buy the Viperflex and I won’t see you again.
True enough, I haven’t been back, at least to replace my sticks. Buy once, cry once.

I have owned or used most of the portable shooting sicks, bipods, tripods, etc. My favorite is the bog pod hd3 with the wide body head. I have the camera attachment that I use for camera and chronograph screens. For me, the primos trigger tripod is too lightweight and unstable and the latest fad quad sticks are borderline useless unless someone sets them up for you. I find them no more stable than shooting off a good tripod.

Whatever you like, practice with it a lot. Talk to your PH and let him know what you are using. If he is using something different, bring your own or at least practice with his sticks before you go hunting.

Safe shooting

With a bipod you’re going to have to shoot from the prone position or at least the sitting position. If you are hunting stalk and shoot the bipod will be much slower.

I have owned or used most of the portable shooting sicks, bipods, tripods, etc. My favorite is the bog pod hd3 with the wide body head. I have the camera attachment that I use for camera and chronograph screens. For me, the primos trigger tripod is too lightweight and unstable and the latest fad quad sticks are borderline useless unless someone sets them up for you. I find them no more stable than shooting off a good tripod.

Whatever you like, practice with it a lot. Talk to your PH and let him know what you are using. If he is using something different, bring your own or at least practice with his sticks before you go hunting.

Safe shooting
Bog pod has new sticks with a head that actually squeeze clamps onto the rifles fore-end. If you already have a big pod you can just buy the new head.

Bog pod has new sticks with a head that actually squeeze clamps onto the rifles fore-end. If you already have a big pod you can just buy the new head.
I have it as well. The wife likes it. it is very hand to hold the rifle while working a varmint call or rattling.

How quick are they to deploy? They look like they might be slower since there’s the front and rear stock rest portions. I know that isn’t the whole picture, but when comparing the various options, I’d just like to know pros and cons. Thanks!
They take some practice just like shooting off 3 leg or bipod rests, but can be used uphill, downhill, etc. just like the others. Carry them extended, like a walking stick for faster deployment.

I like quad sticks the best for uniform, flat terrain. They’re not the best for tall guys on steep terrain. The only other issue I have with them is that they can’t be used sitting down. I actually did a short video last week on how I like to use shooting sticks. I have a Vanguard attachment for my sticks that make them very stable.

Using Shooting Sticks
High & Heavy (in the US) make sitting sticks. Also Gun Stix have adjustable height (sitting to standing) I haven't used my Gun Stix yet, but definitely agree with the difficulty using full height 4 Stable quad sticks sitting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross