Shooting sticks vs Tripod

High_n_Dry

Reaction score
So, I am in the beginning stages of planning a hunt to Africa. When I was in high school my dad and I were planning a trip to Africa, but then some political unrest happened and we never got to go. 30 years later...
Anyways, I have been reading that everybody shoots off shooting sticks for African plains game. I have a lot of time shooting off a tripod (PRS, etc) and I was wondering why more people don't just bring a tripod? My carbon fiber tripod with RRS head weighs about 4 lbs and is rock steady. The steadiness with a tripod with an Arca rail really is much more stable than a shooting stick and the deployment (if you practice with it) is very fast.
So, is it ok to bring my tripod or should I buy some shooting sticks to practice.

Thanks!

Typical PH carried "shooting sticks" are tripods.

I understand that, but they are nowhere near as stable as the tripods made for PRS shooting. I love them for hunting out West.

I understand that, but they are nowhere near as stable as the tripods made for PRS shooting. I love them for hunting out West.
Then bring yours. No big deal.

Then bring yours. No big deal.
Use what you're familiar and comfortable with. Good first shot kills are the name of the game.

That's a good question for your PH, but I would spend enough time with a good set of sticks to be comfortable, anyway.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.27 AM.png
    615.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.28 AM.png
    371.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.33 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.42 AM.png
    641.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.43 AM.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.49.46 AM.png
    325.2 KB · Views: 112
So the best advice is to become proficient shooting off your tripod, sketchy shooting sticks( I have three wooden dowels connected by a bungee which has worked great for years), rocks, trees, your buddy’s shoulder, or whatever else the good lord may give you when your African trophy presents itself.

Shooting off the tripod/shooting stick is but a small part of the total shooting sticks experience. Before you shoot someone must assemble them, carry them quietly through the bush, and deploy them in such a manner that you can rapidly make the gun go bang and hit what you are aiming at. It has been my experience that all of the things leading up to the shot are more complicated than the actual shot itself. Use whatever your outfitter has. It’s easier for you to adapt than it is for your stalking team to adapt. What works great for you on the range may be terrible in the bush.

Just get used to shooting out to 300 yds from all kind of awkward positions, and you’ll be good to go.

If you hunt with Motshwere Safaris it won’t matter because they shoot everything from the back of the truck and seem to be proficient at chasing the animals down from the truck. (Just ignore this last paragraph. It’s a spill over from another thread).

I'd let your outfitter know you're bringing them and pack them. First day you're there let them see how they work for you while sighting in your rifle. And then they can see how they work for them to carry them and aet them up. After that, what @sureshot375 said about practicing on some different rests. It will happen.

Great advice guys.

Is there a brand of shooting sticks that you guys recommend?

As others have alluded to, how long does it take to set up for a shot. An easy broadside at 100 yards can quickly turn in to a quartering away at 150 to 200 yards. The ability to get set up in seconds isn't always important but stuff happens. I used Rudolph PHs for the first time on my last trip and after a short learning curve, I could move them and get them on target fairly quick. One thing's for sure, you'll find out what your tracker and PH think of your tripod in the first morning.
e-big-grin.gif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.50.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.50.28 AM.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.50.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.50.31 AM.png
    534.7 KB · Views: 93
Great advice guys.

Is there a brand of shooting sticks that you guys recommend?
I have the wooden tripod from @African Sporting Creations and also the Rudolph sticks that @Hogpatrol mentioned. Overall I prefer the Rudolph sticks, but do think either have plusses over the other depending on shooting terrain.
I was with two friends shooting a variety of rifles, they preferred the wooden tripod, we were shooting 100 yards. Further distance shooting might have changed their opinions?

I took 8 animals on my trip to Limpopo, and never got on the sticks once. A couple prone shots, a couple trees, kneeling and the PH’s shoulder. Be as comfortable as possible with any and all types of rests as well as free standing. Good luck and enjoy all Africa has to offer.

Compact, light, easy to carry extended with one hand and enough spring to load them up a little if desired. I took mine with me.

BTW, the practice goal I subscribe to (from a PRS blogger I follow) is all shots inside a 5" radius of POA at whatever distances you think you need.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.51.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 8.51.19 AM.png
    533.1 KB · Views: 91
I like the three leg wooden ones that Africa outfitters have used in the past. They all seem to be going to the (Jim Shockey type) trigger sticks or the other ones that looks like you are setting up a pop up blind so as to rest the rifle butt on.. I hate the little tiny Y to lay a gun in. Especially if trying to shoot very far. I will always take a rest on anything I can other than a trigger stick. There IS a simple fix for them to be more steady but no one seems to have done it yet. Give me 3 pieces of wooden sticks tied together any day !

You can take them. I recommend the new Blaser quad sticks. I’ve not seen a more stable shooting platform for a hunt like we do.

We practiced with BOG-POD RLD-3 tripod here and it's what we took with us to Africa. Glad we did because the sticks our PH had were not good. Plus we had the advantage of having practiced off them for a year and a half. We took 10 animals and 9 of them were from sticks.

Since coming back we have upgraded to the BOG-POD Adrenaline tripod. They pack down smaller, can go lower and higher than the RLD-3's with only a minor hit in the weight department. These will be going back with us on our next trip.

If you have the money, the ASC sticks are really nice and come with a lifetime guarantee. We chose another route because of the length when disassembled (for packing) and the weight is much more than the ones we have.

Lots of good stuff out there, including what you have. If you are comfortable with them and don't mind the weight, take 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.