Shipping taxidermy who to use?

Mnovak

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello,
I’m looking for recommendations for shipping companies members have used and recommend to ship my mounts from South Africa to the US. I’m currently soliciting quotes as my mounts are supposed to be completed and ready to ship in an April. Please share shippers you recommend. I plan to get both air and sea quotes coming into Dallas or Houston Texas. Thanks in advance for your input.

Who does your taxidermist recommend? The best service I’ve had has been SBS logistics by far(2022), I did have a crate delayed by Covid so I think it would be unfair to comment on one of the companies I’ve used (2021) but they did get me my trophies. My first safari (2014) was handled by a company out of Mozambique.

Hello,
I’m looking for recommendations for shipping companies members have used and recommend to ship my mounts from South Africa to the US. I’m currently soliciting quotes as my mounts are supposed to be completed and ready to ship in an April. Please share shippers you recommend. I plan to get both air and sea quotes coming into Dallas or Houston Texas. Thanks in advance for your input.
Ask your Import agent to help,with that

I had my taxidermy done outside port Elizabeth and used the shippers from this site. I was told not to use sea as they charge you for storage. The rate is actually more at the end of the day. My crate was shipped to lax and put on a delivery truck. An hour later I was celebrating Christmas.

took eight months to get them crated up and a month to get everything squared away. one week of travel to get to lax

You didn't say if you were clearing them yourself or having a importer handle it.

If you are using an importer, let them handle it.

I have no idea if you are handling it yourself.

I’ve never used an import agent when importing from any other country. Usually easy as long as the customs forms are in order. My taxidermist does have a shipping company they primarily use and I have received a quote from them. I was just looking for recommendations from hunters who may of had good or bad experiences with one company or another. I have received quotes from a couple shippers so far, both seem to be reputable.

for those of you using an import agent who did you use and did you find it value added?

I used SSI on my hunt 8 years ago and am using them again for last years hunt.

The big thing that they give you is peace of mind. They make sure that every I is dotted and every T is crossed on any and all paperwork. They combine shipments to get you the best price from point A to point B. They also take care of the cost of shipping and billing me once the crate is here on US soil. They have USDA certified warehouses so that you don't need to worry about that hassle if applicable.

They cost a bit more than other importers, but in my book they're worth it.

I’ve used SSI on touchy topics like leapard and lion. Top notch but a freckle pricey
Coppersmiths has done at least a dozen and I think they are well worth the money as they handle all the little BS and fees— they have their own warehouses so no additional storage fees

Here is my experience on this, pretty limited as it was first and so far only time having taxidermy shipped back the the USA. In August taxidermy was finished and crated and the taxidermist worked with Badger Cargo on shipping to the US. The communication from Badger Cargo was prompt and went well, would use them again. I used Trophy Shippers as my import agent and this is a different story. The crate arrived in San Francisco a little earlier than expected so I contacted Trophy Shippers and they assured me they were on it. NOT THE CASE appartently. The crate sat in SFO for nearly three weeks before getting cleared and then the storage charges were in excess of $4000. I called Trophy Shippers numerous times during this three weeks and was always told a different story as to why they had not got cleared yet. The only time they initiated communication with me was sending the invoice. I was told that those storage fees were exceptionally high and they would work on getting some of it refunded. Since then I have been told more times than I care to talk about that they were looking into it and would get back to me by numerous people at Trophy Shippers including Alan Zarach himself and have NEVER received a return call or email. My advice is to use ANYBODY besides Trophy Shippers. Even if somebody else's fees seem high if you don't have the storage you will be dollars ahead and if you don't have the headaches even further ahead.

Here is my experience on this, pretty limited as it was first and so far only time having taxidermy shipped back the the USA. In August taxidermy was finished and crated and the taxidermist worked with Badger Cargo on shipping to the US. The communication from Badger Cargo was prompt and went well, would use them again. I used Trophy Shippers as my import agent and this is a different story. The crate arrived in San Francisco a little earlier than expected so I contacted Trophy Shippers and they assured me they were on it. NOT THE CASE appartently. The crate sat in SFO for nearly three weeks before getting cleared and then the storage charges were in excess of $4000. I called Trophy Shippers numerous times during this three weeks and was always told a different story as to why they had not got cleared yet. The only time they initiated communication with me was sending the invoice. I was told that those storage fees were exceptionally high and they would work on getting some of it refunded. Since then I have been told more times than I care to talk about that they were looking into it and would get back to me by numerous people at Trophy Shippers including Alan Zarach himself and have NEVER received a return call or email. My advice is to use ANYBODY besides Trophy Shippers. Even if somebody else's fees seem high if you don't have the storage you will be dollars ahead and if you don't have the headaches even further ahead.
Seen your posting before shipping my crate and it scared the crap outta me! I was told that California airports are the worst to ship into, due to long waits getting the government agencies to clear. Not sure if that’s a planned thing on or not. Anyway I was told by clearing agents to expect up to 10 days in storage! I chose to have my cargo flown into SeaTac, and cleared by Coppersmith. It was out of the airport and in thier warehouse within a day, and on a boat to my place in Hawai’i later that week.

I’m working with Coppersmith global logistics to help with the import of my trophies. My taxidermist has recommended EMIAC as the shipper. They appear to be a professional shipping company from my research. I’m glad I started asking questions about the shipping.

It depends on where in South Africa. If it is Limpopo then trophy solutions is excellent for dip and pack and then coppersmith . Used this combo 2 times and will use again in 24.

I used Coppersmith for my Russian far east hunt and glad I did! The hide was salted and not tanned, the Feds took exception to this and called it imported meat. Coppersmith did a shell game for 3 months until the bear hide was tanned. The Feds made 3 trips to my Taxidermist, on the 3rd trip he had just got the hide in from the Tannery.....they just turned around and left. Bear in now in the mancave. A good importer/expediter is worth their weight in gold or at least dollors.

I used Badger Cargo and Coppersmith. All went well and received my crate about 5 weeks ago. On the wall now. Splitting Image did the taxidermy.

I use Safari Specialty Importers. No worries, just write a check. I think the price is reasonable for the peace of mind. Excellent communication, Wyatt will get back to you promptly if you have questions or concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KerstinPaq

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.