Shipping empty primed brass

I always thought primed brass didn’t need a hazmat.
I've received primed brass through the USPS from Cabela's without having to pay hazmat fees.

It made me wonder since they couldn't ship live ammo or packets of primers but could ship primed cases through USPS.
 
Primed brass does not require Hazmat. It is treated the same as loaded ammo, which means you can't send it USPS; have to use UPS. Only requirement is 50 cal or smaller, needs the white diamond with black corners (top and bottom) on the box, and be declared (because it can't go air).
Deprimed brass are just brass tubes and can be mailed via USPS.
 
Put a couple of these 2" symbols on the shipping box and schedule a UPS pick up at your home.
UPS stores may not accept this, if the clerks know what the symbol means....

1769251313936.png


PS: Never send primed brass or ammo via US Postal Service. That is a Federal offense. I buy ammo from others often and 10% to 20% of those purchases arrive via USPS.
 
DOT regulation 49 CFR 173.50. considers primed brass as Class 1.4 - Explosives (with no significant blast hazard).
This is the same class as loaded ammunition. Loaded ammunition requires special packaging placards and ground shipments only.

However - DOT Special Provisions 49 CFR 172.102 sec 50. states "Cases, cartridge, empty with primer which are made of metallic or plastic casings and meeting the classification criteria of Division 1.4 are not regulated for domestic transportation".

Do what you will, but know that that the understanding of the actual DOT regulations is severely lacking on internet forums, and by virtually every employee at every post office, FedEx and UPS store everywhere. Unfortunately, these are the folks who impose the rules you are required to follow if you want to use their services. The rules set by them are their rules - but not necessarily required by actual law or federal DOT regulation. In my estimation, its not worth the fight by trying to explain this to any employee at any UPS, FedEx or USPS shipping counter.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,819
Members
169,419
Latest member
CassieBend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top