Shape Up Before You Ship Out!

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone here thrown in the towel and is not planning on hunting Africa ever again??? HELL NO!!!

With so much of our lives beyond our control at the moment get off your reloading bench and forge your body and mind.

I’m asking the membership to share your training exercises that you do to Shape Up Before You Ship Out!

Lets start with my all time favorite from my time with the 82nd. ANB… Rifle PT!!!! Yea Just 30 min in the morning and 30 min late afternoon…

RifleDrill1.jpg

RifleDrill.jpg

RifleDrill2.jpg

RifleDrill3.jpg

As of last month, I no longer go to the gym. I’ve set up a workout space (small, but adequate) in the basement (man cave) room.
9512784B-74F0-4C4A-A2C0-0985646301ED.jpeg

I follow my usual routine only changing the exercises up. Chest, back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, legs and core. 3 sets of each 3 days a week with a rest day in between.
I’ve done this for years and add in 4-5 mile walks. It’s a lot harder these days (now in my 70s) than it was in my 30s, but doable.
Yesterday my granddaughter worked out with me. That was fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
My gym closed due to COVID-19. Ever since I retired, I’ve been going three to four times a week, mainly lifting. I really miss it. I’m 63 yo and I’m stronger now than when I was in my 20’s. I have some dumbbells and do some other exercises, but it’s just not the same.
I did a fair amount of walking on my own but in early March I fell and twisted my knee and foot. So now I do my best impression of Chester, limping along. 300 yds and I’m done. The weather is getting nice, we’re on COVID19 lockdown and I can’t even go for walks. I don’t even know if I’ll be able to hunt turkey. Yes, I’m bitching!

Meigsbucks, if you have stairs, step stool they will help. Or a couple of bricks to step up and down on. There’s always something you can do...half squats? Don’t let it slip away as you get older. I think as we age, we can maintain, but it’s virtually impossible to build up more muscle without risking tears, sprains, etc. JME
YOU CAN DO IT FOR THE NEXT HUNT!

. I have some dumbbells and do some other exercises, but it’s just not the same.

That's because you don't have women in tight exercise outfits in your home. :E Nono:

I have a few friends that are starting to look real hard at their gym memberships and what it cost now that they are working out at home and getting the same results but with only a window to look out of.

JimP, you make a good point. I knew something was missing!

My gym closed due to COVID-19. Ever since I retired, I’ve been going three to four times a week, mainly lifting. I really miss it. I’m 63 yo and I’m stronger now than when I was in my 20’s. I have some dumbbells and do some other exercises, but it’s just not the same.
I did a fair amount of walking on my own but in early March I fell and twisted my knee and foot. So now I do my best impression of Chester, limping along. 300 yds and I’m done. The weather is getting nice, we’re on COVID19 lockdown and I can’t even go for walks. I don’t even know if I’ll be able to hunt turkey. Yes, I’m bitching!
I'm nearly 29 and stronger now than I ever have been from going to the gym for the last year and a half. Unfortunately with this virus shit I can't go anymore. Been getting about a 9-ish mile walk in three days a week, though, so that's keeping me from going stir-crazy. Aside from the plethora of snakes and the occasional people biking, it's actually quite nice out there. Do wish I could take my .44-40 rifle with me, though; I've only seen good snakes out there so far but that doesn't mean I won't see something dangerous.

At the moment I'm doing... well it's hardly working out but it's the best I can do with what I have. 45 pushups against the back of a low couch (despite my efforts I'm not able to do a fully-down pushup yet; I weigh about 204 empty and I could only max 140 on chest press before having to stop going.); 45 situps/crunches; 45 bicep curls using a metal-and-plastic file box full of DVD boxsets. Between that and the walking I can at least try to keep fit enough that maybe I won't hate myself too much when I'm able to get back to the gym. 'Cause in all honesty my self-esteem is taking some big hits from having to stop my lifting, especially when I was still short of my goals.

I’m 63 yo and I’m stronger now than when I was in my 20’s.

Ditto...in my 20's and 30's I was a cardio beast I could run and force ruck march all day...now at 60 I can walk all day but running for more than 100 yards is out.
But Brother I can't remember having this much upper body strength...

Yes I did say I can't remember

Last edited:
At 79 I have to work at it so I brought my workout sheets home from the gym ( closed because of the virus). I work with a bungee: biceps, triceps, lat pulldowns, rotator cuff inside and outside, straight arm cross body, overhead straight arm side to side, front push out. 1 set of 30 reps. Bosu Ball: half squats, situps, back torso lift, side torso lift both sides, side leg lift both sides. 1 set of 30 reps. Crunches 2 sets of 30 reps. 20# barbell bench press 1 set of 35 reps, bicep curl 1 set of 35 reps. Off the wall pushups 1 set of 35 reps. Ab roller 1 set of 30 reps. This is my every other day routine and my dog walks me 3 miles twice a day every day. I like the bungee because I can adjust the tension by moving farther away from the wall and moving slow or faster through the exercises. Not overly strenuous but helps with the overall muscle tone.

Oppps I apologize I left out the most important part of my Training:

WARNING: Clear your rifle first....
(I shouldn't have to remind you...But I live in New York and if you throw a rock over your shoulder it will hit a lawyer before it hits the ground!)

I have found that at 75 is is a very important thing to have dirty, immoral, and impure thoughts constantly flushing through your head gear.

........... also banging the old lady like she's a screen door in a North Carolina hurricane every chance you get keeps everything working right........ rah.......:A Banana:

I have been doing this workout for a couple years now, when i am unable to make it to the gym where all the tight spandex gathers.

7's WORKOUT

PERFORM 7 ROUND OF:

7 PUSH UPS

7 SQUATS

7 SIT UPS

7 BURPEES

7 LUNGES

7 RUSSIAN TWISTS

7 TRICEP DIPS

as fast as you can

i use 7 pennies to keep track of which round i am on. slide one over as you do a round. the hidden workout within the workout is the getting up and down to perform each round. these exercises need to be done in this order to get the full benefit. i use a timer to keep track of how i am doing. this workout takes around 20 minutes plus or minus depending on your current condition. its not horrible and when done you are sweating and have done about 50 reps of each exercise and about 50 times up and down from the floor. good luck.

I have found that at 75 is is a very important thing to have dirty, immoral, and impure thoughts constantly flushing through your head gear.

........... also banging the old lady like she's a screen door in a North Carolina hurricane every chance you get keeps everything working right........ rah.......:A Banana:

This is beautiful, and funny. It also gives hope to us young pups (y)(y) I'm sure by the time I'm in my 70s, if I make it that far. LOL. There will be an App and the blue pill will not be needed anymore. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

At the moment I'm doing... well it's hardly working out but it's the best I can do with what I have. 45 pushups against the back of a low couch (despite my efforts I'm not able to do a fully-down pushup yet; I weigh about 204 empty and I could only max 140 on chest press before having to stop going.)

Hi WebleyGreene. Keep at it! I started from scratch three years ago getting ready for a black bear hunt in the mountains. I could do 5 real pushups when I started, but I kept going and kept increasing, and today I still do 100+ push-ups every morning. I walk 5 miles once or twice a week. Only thing I’m missing out on due to the lockdown is the 8 flights of stairs at the office parking garage.

Hi WebleyGreene. Keep at it! I started from scratch three years ago getting ready for a black bear hunt in the mountains. I could do 5 real pushups when I started, but I kept going and kept increasing, and today I still do 100+ push-ups every morning. I walk 5 miles once or twice a week. Only thing I’m missing out on due to the lockdown is the 8 flights of stairs at the office parking garage.
Well while I can't do pushups, when I was at the gym I did three sets of 15 (45 reps total) on two different chest-press machines plus pec-fly. And pec-fly was 160lb iirc. So my chest was at least getting stronger, even if I wasn't at pushup level yet. Still, want to be able to work my body weight one day, if not over. So that's good 'nough!

Flexibility exercises such as stretching should be part of a shooter’s training program. Here are some exercises that are good for shooters.

Neck roll—Tip the head down and slowly rotate it first to the right and then to the left. Do five times in each direction.

Trunk stretch—Extend hands overhead and bend to side. Stay in stretching position 15 to 20 seconds. Do two stretches to left and two to right.

Trunk twister—Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and arms extended to sides. With right hand, bend and reach to touch left toe. Return to starting position, then bend and reach for right toe. Repeat 10 times.

Thigh stretcher—Raise knee as high as possible and hold it against body for 15 to 20 seconds. Do twice with each leg.

Achilles stretch—Stand about two feet from a wall or pole and support body with hands. Lean forward, keeping body and legs straight to stretch Achilles tendons at back of ankles. Do two stretches of 15 to 20 seconds each.

Lunge—Step forward with left leg, bending knee as far as it will go. Hold for 15 to 20 seconds. Repeat with right leg. Do two stretches with each leg.
Groin stretch—Sit with bottoms of feet touching and knees bent. Grab feet with hands and pull head down to feet. Hold stretch for 10 to 15 seconds. Do four times.

My trainer recently put me into kettle bell swings. It is one exercise that strengthens your entire body! Look up kettle bell swings and try them before your next hunt. Also the farmer carry which is just one kettle bell (Any weight really) in each hand and walking. This one finds where you are weakest and let’s you know quickly. Strengthens legs, ankles, knees, shoulders, pretty much everything. These two exercises along With some additional cardio can get your ready for most anything.

Christmas present to my girlfriend was a Peloton (she asked for it, not a surprise), so I use it as well. We also take hikes, I wear a weight vest, up to 16 lbs now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg