Searcy Nitro 577 Express would like to sell

No worries Fark! But I bet Zanner42 got really excited for a minute! Lol
I love my Searcy, but a Holland and Holland she is not!
Yeah, but the Searcy will kill just as dead. H&H guns are perhaps works of art, but no way no how worth a quarter mil for a new double rifle. Fact is that H&H, Purdey, WR and most of the big names (and big prices) start out with CNC machining before the hand work gets involved. I believe that Boss is probably the only remaining maker that still does it the "old fashioned way," and I don't believe they do rifles.

Yeah, but the Searcy will kill just as dead. H&H guns are perhaps works of art, but no way no how worth a quarter mil for a new double rifle. Fact is that H&H, Purdey, WR and most of the big names (and big prices) start out with CNC machining before the hand work gets involved. I believe that Boss is probably the only remaining maker that still does it the "old fashioned way," and I don't believe they do rifles.

The last time I was through the H&H factory the Sporting O/U was the only weapon that CNC machining was used on. At that, it still had 1,000 hrs of craftsman time in it. The Royal was more than double that number due to all the hand work. They were basically selling guns at little to no margin and making money on clothing and accessories. This may have changed, but if so, it would be quite a shift for them.

I got some more details from Butch about my dad's gun:

Wood upgrade
leather covered recoil pad
Sideplates
Custom engraving by Mark Swanson
one fixed one folding sight
Long trigger guard
trap grip cap
gold medallion
Articulated front trigger
intercepting sears
25" Barrels

So sorry for your loss. You have been given so very solid advice, you might check and see if he left any ammo or reloading equipment that was used with this rifle. Best of luck on your sale.

The last time I was through the H&H factory the Sporting O/U was the only weapon that CNC machining was used on. At that, it still had 1,000 hrs of craftsman time in it. The Royal was more than double that number due to all the hand work. They were basically selling guns at little to no margin and making money on clothing and accessories. This may have changed, but if so, it would be quite a shift for them.
Given the fact that the H&H has been owned since 1996 by Chanel, as in Chanel No. 5 perfume, I am not surprised at the business "model" you described. By Chanel's own statements regarding the purchase, they invested heavily in upgrading the machinery in the London factory. Accepting your man hour numbers, H&H would have to be paying their workers $100 USD to justify current prices (i.e. 2000 x 100 = 200,00), which I somehow doubt. I have no argument with the quality of H&H and other fine English gunmakers. I currently own a Joseph Lang 12 bore and a Westley Richard 470 double, although both are pre WWI guns. I have also owned two Jeffery double rifles again both pre-war. I just find the current prices over the top. People will pay wildly inflated prices for the name - think Louis Vuitton or Prada. I can't imagine Chanel buying H&H for any other reason than the name. Coincidentally, Purdey has been owned by Compagnie Financière Richemont SA, also known as Richemont, a Swiss luxury product company since 1970. By comparison, I owned for many years a live bird gun built to order by AYA in the 1950s for a wealthy Chicago department store magnate. It was the Model 37, a deluxe, full hand detachable sidelock O/U. The inside of the locks reminded one of a fine Swiss watch and were gold washed. The wood to metal fit and engraving were above reproach. At last check, AYA still produced the Model 37 at a cost of around 20K USD. Go figure.

Given the fact that the H&H has been owned since 1996 by Chanel, as in Chanel No. 5 perfume, I am not surprised at the business "model" you described. By Chanel's own statements regarding the purchase, they invested heavily in upgrading the machinery in the London factory. Accepting your man hour numbers, H&H would have to be paying their workers $100 USD to justify current prices (i.e. 2000 x 100 = 200,00), which I somehow doubt. I have no argument with the quality of H&H and other fine English gunmakers. I currently own a Joseph Lang 12 bore and a Westley Richard 470 double, although both are pre WWI guns. I have also owned two Jeffery double rifles again both pre-war. I just find the current prices over the top. People will pay wildly inflated prices for the name - think Louis Vuitton or Prada. I can't imagine Chanel buying H&H for any other reason than the name. Coincidentally, Purdey has been owned by Compagnie Financière Richemont SA, also known as Richemont, a Swiss luxury product company since 1970. By comparison, I owned for many years a live bird gun built to order by AYA in the 1950s for a wealthy Chicago department store magnate. It was the Model 37, a deluxe, full hand detachable sidelock O/U. The inside of the locks reminded one of a fine Swiss watch and were gold washed. The wood to metal fit and engraving were above reproach. At last check, AYA still produced the Model 37 at a cost of around 20K USD. Go figure.

Back then the directors of Chanel etc were quite big into shooting and hunting which was one reason they bought H&H...not sure about these days though

Back then the directors of Chanel etc were quite big into shooting and hunting which was one reason they bought H&H...not sure about these days though
Wow! That's like saying you like Ferraris so you simply bought the company. Nothing like having deep pockets, yes?

I would not buy a Searcy in this caliber. My personal opinion.....

That .577 Nitro Express should fetch roughly $ 18,000 . Butch’s health has fairly deteriorated over the years ( unfortunately ) and the last time we spoke ( 2018 ) , he was taking far fewer orders than he once used to . He used to originally regulate his double rifles , with the old pattern Barnes copper jacketed lead cored bullets . Then , he later shifted to Woodleigh bullets .

I am truly sorry to hear about your father’s passing , madame . My condolences .

Last edited:
I wonder if they shot anything (smelling like that!!!) LOL :p

How old is Butch Searcy? I thought, for some reason, that he was relatively young.

How old is Butch Searcy? I thought, for some reason, that he was relatively young.
Don't know but he's a Vietnam vet- guessing at early to mid 70s. Not exactly young :)

Hey everyone, sorry I disappeared for a few months. With the holidays and work and Covid, it’s been crazy busy. Hope u are all doing well and had a nice and safe holiday season!

I still have the gun, got a few nibbles here and there so if anyone is still interested, let me know. Thanks!

Welcome back. Did Mr. Searcy give you a ball park amount to ask for your dad's double rifle?

That comment regarding how a gun will kill just as dead may be appropriate in many discussions. But to even bring that into a discussion on the high end double rifles you mention is near sacrilege;)

And as for the mention that they would need to pay craftsmen $100 (i assume you mean per hour), is probably right on the money. Highly specialized and talented labor does cost a lot, especially in Europe. And when you look at from the employment cost view of the employer, which means you recognize all the associates taxes and benefits, I'm guessing it goes over that!

Plus the cost of manufacturing is only part of it. There is marketing and distribution costs and the margins required to keep the lights on, raw materials, associated expenses to having the facilities. RE taxes, insurance, capitalization costs, etc.

Most people looking at things from the employee perspective fail to consider what it really takes to own and operate a business.

Welcome back. Did Mr. Searcy give you a ball park amount to ask for your dad's double rifle?
Thank you!! Butch did, he was so nice and very helpful. He said the gun is worth $60k, he said in this economy I should ask for $30k and see what I can get. I'm kinda in a loss of where else to post to possibly sell, so if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosettaMar

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.