Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Spitskop Safaris, SCI
Hunted
Spain, Portugal, South Africa, Namibia, Canada, Mozambique, Bulgary
I have next weeks the oportunity to buy a double rifle caliber 470 NE manufactured by SEARCY in the USA.

As this manufacturer is not well known in Europe... Anyone has experience about him ??? How good is the quality of his rifles ???

Thank you very much for your help.;)

JM

I have next weeks the oportunity to buy a double rifle caliber 470 NE manufactured by SEARCY in the USA.

As this manufacturer is not well known in Europe... Anyone has experience about him ??? How good is the quality of his rifles ???

JM

The quality of Butch Searcys rifles is that they are strong, and accurate, and he stands behind his product.

The value of his products depends on which of them you are thinking of buying. The early ones were made on Browning BSS shotgun actions. Don’t let that worry you because there are examples of those rifles that have had several thousand rounds fired through them, and then sold to a PH in Africa where it is still at work, with no problem that I am aware of. The later ones are built on Searcys own milled from bar-stock actions, and mono-blocks,utilizing Pac-Nor barrel blanks, one othe better barrels around, and are better yet. Then as the years moved on his rifles improved in both fit and finish till today where he can build anything from a basic double rifle to the $80K range, and take a back seat to no one!

I’d say if the rifle you are looking to buy is less than ten years old, and has been cared for properly it is one of the best working double rifles you could buy. Searcy will stand by it even when you are not the first buyer. Of course you must be able to send the rifle to him in the USA, a sometimes-difficult thing to do from Africa.

I have known Butch Searcy for many years and is a stand-up guy, and builds a good working rifle, as well as the up-scale rising-bite actions that are high dollar rifles by anyone’s standard!

………………………………Good luck sir! :thumb:

Searcy has a very good reputation for making quality double rifles.

JM

I assume you are outside the US. I would give Butch Seracy a call and ask if he has someone in you country that has parts (or access to parts) and can make any repairs that might be needed in the future. Butch does a good job on service work in the US but export to and from the US is a pain (paperwork) and costly.

I noticed he does not advertise the really big stuff any more. Has he stopped making the 577, 600, 700?

Not unless it's on his site. I saw it in Cal Pappas's book, British Bore Rifles.

Searcy does not list his big bore guns any longer on his webs site. Hence my question. If he is still building them it must be on the QT. They were very expensive, $35000.00 to $85000.00...... Have you seen the photo's of the T-REX double that guy makes? That thing is cool! I guess he names each of his gaint bore guns after some sort of extint mega fona animal.

You know, I've handled some of his guns, never shot one, but overall I like them alot. They are unique to him, and his style. I do use the same PAC-NOR barrels, and just love them.

I have a Searcy 450 NE and it's a very good shooting rifle! Mine has Luxus wood on it and it's worthy of an H&H Best. There is some pictures of in in my photo's in the topright of this post. Page 2.
Butch will build anything that you want. No questions about it! I'd love to have his rising bite.

I had one of Butch's guns in a 577 it was a great shooting gun--but just did not balance that good. Granted it was an early gun and a few of the guns I have felt of late were a vast improvement. I would like to look at his long bar screw grip he is building now, his guns have evolved better and better.

Ed

You cant go wrong with one of Butch's rifles. He is down to earth and is a very honest man. Good Luck and buy it. If you have questions, call his shop and talk to the man!

I own a Searcy PH double rifle in 500 Nitro express and its a fantastic rifle.Quality is amazing and the wood Butch uses is very nice.Its a very accurate rifle.You will not go wrong with a Searcy Rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.