Scrub Bull

@Dr Ray did you do a hunting report on that hunt it would be an interesting read.

Father was a butcher so I've hunted a lot of feral cattle there every bit as wild and dangerous as claimed.

How did the population come to be there, strays who formed wild herds? In my area there were several farmers let theirs go feral following the bse/mad cow scare.

@Dr Ray did you do a hunting report on that hunt it would be an interesting read.

Father was a butcher so I've hunted a lot of feral cattle there every bit as wild and dangerous as claimed.

How did the population come to be there, strays who formed wild herds? In my area there were several farmers let theirs go feral following the bse/mad cow scare.

I’ll post an article soon

Obviously these scrub cattle escaped a cattle farm or were actually born in the wild.
One of the most ferocious wild cattle I ever cane across was a jersey cow. She was rounded up and put into a yard. She would charge at anything!
Threw a hat in the yRd and she attacked it.
Wild!!!

Obviously these scrub cattle escaped a cattle farm or were actually born in the wild.
One of the most ferocious wild cattle I ever cane across was a jersey cow. She was rounded up and put into a yard. She would charge at anything!
Threw a hat in the yRd and she attacked it.
Wild!!!

I've seen dairy breeds go crazy , father and I had a small herd of cattle until his health went. We had an ashire cow that was completely insane when she calved.

If memory serves she made sausages that fall.

Ridge walker when (note when) you finally arrive here we’ll go hunting scrub bulls and buffalo.remember Fierce Jess is watching you!View attachment 333154
@Dr Ray
Is she a bailer or a lugger. I bet the sign on the gate says beware of dog incase you stand on it.
All going well heading upto the Cape next year to hunt a few scrubbers. I think the Whelen with 275gn Woodleigh should do the job. My mate Greg is going to use his 444 Marlin single shot, my son want to use his 308 with either Outer edges or Atomic 29s.

Hopefully @CBH Chris can make it as well with his 375H&H. I just hope he leaves his Broken Heel gear like his pink tutu and ballet slippers at home. Thankfully the cape is no place for a 243. It's a place where men are men and guns start at 30 cal and just go up. A place where 243 owners quiver in fear of being discovered.
We have to go thru Cairns to get to the hunting property so we may be able to catch up with you for a beer or 2 either on the way up , way back or both.
Bob

@Dr Ray
Is she a bailer or a lugger. I bet the sign on the gate says beware of dog incase you stand on it.
All going well heading upto the Cape next year to hunt a few scrubbers. I think the Whelen with 275gn Woodleigh should do the job. My mate Greg is going to use his 444 Marlin single shot, my son want to use his 308 with either Outer edges or Atomic 29s.

Hopefully @CBH Chris can make it as well with his 375H&H. I just hope he leaves his Broken Heel gear like his pink tutu and ballet slippers at home. Thankfully the cape is no place for a 243. It's a place where men are men and guns start at 30 cal and just go up. A place where 243 owners quiver in fear of being discovered.
We have to go thru Cairns to get to the hunting property so we may be able to catch up with you for a beer or 2 either on the way up , way back or both.
Bob
"I think the Whelen with 275gr Woodleigh SHOULD do the job"? Not a great show of confidence Bob. I hope your shoulder has healed well enough to allow you to climb trees? Ha! Ha! Ha!

I’ve zero experience with feral cattle.
However, I’ve been known to plunk old mule deer in both Montana and Idaho.
For these, I have had perfect success fiercely pounding the meat until very thin.
The end result is worth the hard work.
Then salt / pepper and dusting in flour.
Fry it until just barely done and serve with mushroom gravy (“schnitzel”).
Likewise, either stewing a long time or pressure cooking tough cuts into wonderful stew has worked well for me.
Others have mentioned grinding into sausage.
I believe that is another perfect way to deal with tough cuts of game meat.
Cheers.

I’ve zero experience with feral cattle.
However, I’ve been known to plunk old mule deer in both Montana and Idaho.
For these, I have had perfect success fiercely pounding the meat until very thin.
The end result is worth the hard work.
Then salt / pepper and dusting in flour.
Fry it until just barely done and serve with mushroom gravy (“schnitzel”).
Likewise, either stewing a long time or pressure cooking tough cuts into wonderful stew has worked well for me.
Others have mentioned grinding into sausage.
I believe that is another perfect way to deal with tough cuts of game meat.
Cheers.
Marinade the "tough cuts" in beer and/or milk overnight. Helps tenderize them.

"I think the Whelen with 275gr Woodleigh SHOULD do the job"? Not a great show of confidence Bob. I hope your shoulder has healed well enough to allow you to climb trees? Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
I'm 100% positive the 270s will be more than adequate. Might load up some 310s for up close and personal times to go with them.

Marinade the "tough cuts" in beer and/or milk overnight. Helps tenderize them.
Hello CoElkHunter,

Thanks for those ideas.
Always worth a try.
While watching the cooking channel, I learned that some cooks marinate tough meats in apple cider vinegar, to tenderize them.
I tried that idea but without success, still tough and dry.
The flavor was good though.
So far, I have not found any marinade ingredient that tenderizes meat to any noticeable degree.

I have even tried the milk marinade thing on wild duck, leaving it submerged about 24 hours.
It didn’t change a thing, still tough and dry.
Perhaps it will work better on feral beef ?
At this stage, I have to conclude that pounding the living daylights out of tough meats or, stewing them a very long time or, grinding works best.
However, my grinder is the hand crank type, ancient technology.
And so, the tendons repeatedly clog it and I have to stop often in order to pull out the “kevlar-like” strands, by means of needle nose pliers. LoL
Also, alternately stewing then freezing then stewing it some more does some good.

Likewise, it’s worth mentioning that if stewed for many long hours, the gristle and tendons within even very tough meat eventually become quite soft and succulent.
I absolutely love game meat and am still willing to learn new tricks.
Therefore one of these times I shall have to try the beer marinade idea.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
@CoElkHunter
I'm 100% positive the 270s will be more than adequate. Might load up some 310s for up close and personal times to go with them.
Mate, we are talking Woodleigh's here. She'll be right.
If I were using a sub calibre I would use Woodleigh s for assurance.

@CoElkHunter
Bob, make sure you bring your Ballet flats, you won't handle the H&H in heels.
@CBH Australia
Chris I will wear my steel capped aerated riding sandals.

Hello CoElkHunter,

Thanks for those ideas.
Always worth a try.
While watching the cooking channel, I learned that some cooks marinate tough meats in apple cider vinegar, to tenderize them.
I tried that idea but without success, still tough and dry.
The flavor was good though.
So far, I have not found any marinade ingredient that tenderizes meat to any noticeable degree.

I have even tried the milk marinade thing on wild duck, leaving it submerged about 24 hours.
It didn’t change a thing, still tough and dry.
Perhaps it will work better on feral beef ?
At this stage, I have to conclude that pounding the living daylights out of tough meats or, stewing them a very long time or, grinding works best.
However, my grinder is the hand crank type, ancient technology.
And so, the tendons repeatedly clog it and I have to stop often in order to pull out the “kevlar-like” strands, by means of needle nose pliers. LoL
Also, alternately stewing then freezing then stewing it some more does some good.

Likewise, it’s worth mentioning that if stewed for many long hours, the gristle and tendons within even very tough meat eventually become quite soft and succulent.
I absolutely love game meat and am still willing to learn new tricks.
Therefore one of these times I shall have to try the beer marinade idea.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
For tough cuts of meat forget pounding, tenderising and other crap.
I have learnt after many, many years you are better off marinating the cook and the people eating the meat in their alcohol of choice. If they are marinaded for just the right amount of time they won't give a shit if the meat is tender or not.
They will be to drunk to care less and the next day tell you it was a great meal because they don't remember it
Bob

Mate, we are talking Woodleigh's here. She'll be right.
If I were using a sub calibre I would use Woodleigh s for assurance.
@CBH Australia
Lucky I don't use sub calibers for the game hunted.
At least you will never see me holding a muddy girl pink camo 243 as long as my arse points to the ground

Wifey pounds the meat, then cooks it all day in a slow cooker with some veges and some of my red wine (she always picks my expensive reds!) After that we don’t even need a knife! It’s outstanding!

@Velo Dog
For tough cuts of meat forget pounding, tenderising and other crap.
I have learnt after many, many years you are better off marinating the cook and the people eating the meat in their alcohol of choice. If they are marinaded for just the right amount of time they won't give a shit if the meat is tender or not.
They will be to drunk to care less and the next day tell you it was a great meal because they don't remember it
Bob
I will have to try this the next time I serve venison…or any wild game (save for elk, I don’t share that). :D Drunk:

@CBH Australia
Lucky I don't use sub calibers for the game hunted.
At least you will never see me holding a muddy girl pink camo 243 as long as my arse points to the ground
Looks like I will have to get you suitably marinated in your alcohol of choice to get that pic.
Best part if I do it right you won't even remember and I will hide the pictures deep in a thread here tagging in every member I can name.
I can see the Headline title now. Big Bob keeping his Tomatoes in line.

Looks like I will have to get you suitably marinated in your alcohol of choice to get that pic.
Best part if I do it right you won't even remember and I will hide the pictures deep in a thread here tagging in every member I can name.
I can see the Headline title now. Big Bob keeping his Tomatoes in line.
@CBH
Chris you will need a big bank account to get me that pissed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg