Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
2.5-15 or a 3-18. Typically set around 5 or lower in the mountains. In the woods, lowest setting always.
The high magnification variability is best for checking something out a long ways away, or for spotting bullet holes on paper at the range. Shooting a rifle at 18 power is a guarantee to not be able to follow up on your shot, it is like trying to find a grain of rice in the living room by looking through a juice box straw.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
None
2.5-15 or a 3-18. Typically set around 5 or lower in the mountains. In the woods, lowest setting always.
The high magnification variability is best for checking something out a long ways away, or for spotting bullet holes on paper at the range. Shooting a rifle at 18 power is a guarantee to not be able to follow up on your shot, it is like trying to find a grain of rice in the living room by looking through a juice box straw.
Great analogy !

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I do believe that I could get by very satisfactorily with my 1.5-6x42’s, on any thing that they will fit on without extension rings.

I am planning on putting one on my next do-all rifle. It was a mental exercise deciding between the 1.5-6x42mm and a 1-6x24mm.
I have a few 1.1-4x24’s in use and am going to put one on a shorter barrel 30-06.
@Idmay375
I would Have gone the 1.5-6×42 just for aesthetics , straight tubes just look unfinished to me.
Bob

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@Idmay375
I would Have gone the 1.5-6×42 just for aesthetics , straight tubes just look unfinished to me.
Bob
Bob,
This one will probably get a 1.5-6x42. I do think the 42mm’s offer a bit more low light advantage over the straight tubes. And this is intended to be a multi-purpose rifle.
It isn’t anything fancy, a Winchester M70 Classic stainless, New Haven manufacture with the older style M70 adjustable trigger. It is a 325 WSM, which I usually refer to as 8mm Winchester.
I bought the rifle used, and in excellent condition. It had the featherweight walnut stock. I have put it in a Bell & Carlson stock and replaced the bottom metal with PT&G one piece stainless. It was one of the latter production and came with current one piece, but they must make these newer ones out of powdered metal.

This is the beginning of it. I will have the stock bedded. I may have the barrel cut to 22”. I am undecided on that, and may use it at 24” before I make that decision.

EA3EC42B-7F64-452E-95F5-4FFFD5AD2EC3.png
D7EB6718-FB5D-495C-90E4-EA1D9776A4C2.png

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@Idmay375
Bob
Bob,
I am on the opposite end of that view. I think the straight tubes look “just right”. If I could get the same optical performance as larger objectives out of straight 30mm tubes, that would be all that I would own. Within reasonable cost of course.
Those objective bells, they look like after-thought add-ons to me.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
When I hunted Africa a few years back I used a 2.5x10x50. I don't, remember ever changing the magnification from 2.5

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
I like low powered variables like those explained in many of the posts above. 1.5 or 2x at the low end is good, and necessary for thick cover and fast moving game. I seldom shoot animals with anything over 6x magnification and most of my scopes are set at 4x when I am hunting. I like the compact dimensions and low mounting of straight tube and small objective bell scopes, but I do have a couple of big objective scopes for some specialized hunts like our elk, which are most often shot in very dim light in the first 5 minutes of legal shooting time a half hour before dawn. For that purpose, 50mm objectives and illuminated reticles are very nice. I can't see a good reason for first focal plane reticle hunting scopes. I understand the theory, but I don't like them. And i dislike any sort of exposed high turrets. If it's that far away, I stalk closer. I have exposed "twisty turrets" on one target rifle and one varmint rifle and one big game rifle. But it went on the hunting rifle only when I couldn't buy a scope with the other features I wanted without the turret thing.

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have a few 1st focal reticle scopes that I really like. Unfortunately, the companies that made straight tubed 1st focal reticles that I found usable, no longer import or make them.
I have quite a few 42mm objective 1st focal reticles that I like.
Range finders and illuminated reticles have definitely lessened the demand of 1st focal plane reticles. Though, some of the 2nd focal reticles are too fine for my liking for very low light. And if the illumination does not go low enough, they are limited for my use.
Tall and exposed turret are not my cup of tea. But, I am definitely not shooting small targets / critters at long distances.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
After a few combinations and several trips, I can't exactly remember each variable setting. I know that I do not fiddle with power settings on the variables once I start a hunt- it will be left at that setting for the duration.

I do know that since one of my DG rifles, a 450 Watts, has a 2.5x fixed power that is what was used- with NO issues for both DG and PG with that rifle from impala to buffalo. On another DG rifle, 416 Rem Mag, I have a 1.5-5x and I left that at about 2-3x for the duration for both DG and PG. On the PG hunts with a 338-06, IIRC, I left the scope set at about 3x and had NO issues with the longest shots on an oryx and a springbuck, both at about 260 yds. On another PG hunt with my 30-06, I know it was 4x because it had a 4x fixed :) On a combination PG-DG hunt, using the PH's rifles, IIRC I left the scope on the 7mm Mag at about 4x-5x for the PG and on the 375 HH at about 3X for the larger PG and DG.

Last edited:

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Since the thread is within the USA and Canada section, I should to add what I've used for scopes here. Easy, with a couple of exceptions, 4x fixed for everything. From brown bear to Coues whitetails to muledeer to pronghorn to elk to mountain sheep to caribou to moose. The only exceptions are a few different scopes for pdogs and coyotes. No objective larger than 40 with the 4x being a 32 I think.

Last edited:

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
1.7-10x42 on the 30-06. Stays in 1.7. If I need more magnification I have time to turn it up.
1-6 x24 on the 404
1-8x24 on the 375. Both stay on 1 power until and unless I want more for a shot at a specific animal at distance. Shot a fair bit of plains game with the 404 and something around 4x was helpful.

Last edited:

davsel

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
B&C, SCI, NRA Life
Hunted
USA (Texas, Colorado, Kansas)
For Hunting:
1-4 x 24 on a .416 Wby with illuminated circle dot
2.5-10 x 42 on a .300 Wby with BDC duplex and illuminated 1moa center crosshair
3-9 x 40 classic glossy Leupold duplex on a fancy German .300 Wby
3-9 x 40 on a Rem 788 7mm-08 and a Rem 700 30-06
3-12 x 44 on a Rem 700 7mm STW
Shot a lot of game through an ACOG 3.5x on a .308 SCAR17S from 20 yards (elk) to 434 yards (pronghorn)

Low power for walking, mid to high power for sitting in a stand - 7x is probably plenty.

Spent a lot of time behind tactical scopes with mil dots and/or BDC and got comfortable with them at various ranges without messing with turrets. Though, I can't get on board with the busy windage reticles and huge objective scopes that seem popular today - at least with current US scopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusGilla

Latest profile posts

RicardoT wrote on Jan007's profile.
Hallo , ek stel belang as die 375 steeds beskikbaar is 083 511 9921
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.