Scope ring height for CZ 550

Insomniaddict

Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
Dear experienced CZ 550 users,

I have a new CZ 550 that I will shoot this fall for the 2021 hunting season. I have two scopes at home that I can mount to it. I have a Leupold 1.5 X 5 and a Trijicon 1 X 6 Accupoint that I can rob off my pair of Ruger M77s. I have been using Warne QDs on the Rugers and both (1" and 30mm) are "High" mounts and that was needed to clear the bolt handles.

I can't really figure out which height of either 1" rings or 30 mm rings I need for the CZ 550. I have no easy way to experiment.

My current choices are Talley or Warne QD CZ rings.

Any insight to ring height?

I had a CZ550 375H&H with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 in Warne Low QR (p/n 1BLM) rings and it worked great.
1628359288996.png

Warne or Sportsmatch might have something slightly lower than standard CZ rings but you would probably be looking at a maximum difference of 1.5mm, just under 1/16".
Given that you need to obtain adequate clearance from the ocular housing, both for the bolt handle AND for your hand, I suggest that you settle on a particular scope, measure critical dimensions with a calliper, do your math (using ring specification charts) and then compare your findings with a bolt-action rifle (of any type) that you have already set up with low ring-mounts.
Chart surfing and arithmetic are fine but I have outsmarted myself a few times over the years by trying to same a mm or two in mounting height and discovering that it made a rifle harder to shoot (and maintain).

I have a Brno 602 with a VXR 2-7 (30mm tube) scope mounted in Warne Maxima QD High Height rings (Warne part #15BLM) so that my hand clears the scope when operating the bolt. Something lower may work with a 1" tube.
ps. The QD feature works really well and does return to zero reliably.

I highly recommend Alaska Arms rings. I have used the 30mm mediums on four CZ 550 rifles and have been well pleased. Two have Zeiss Diavari 2-8 scopes mounted and two have Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 scopes mounted.

These are rock solid and allow removal and reattachment while maintaining zero. They allow bolt handle clearance with solid cheek weld also. I have them on calibers .30-06, 9.3x62, 404 Jeffrey, and 416 Rigby and have had no issues what so ever.

On my first CZ I tried multiple mount by multiple makers before I found these. I wish I had experimented in alphabetical order. I had a hard time finding mounts that would clear the bolt handle without being too high for cheek weld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you