Scope or Red dot for double rifle

This is a pretty inclusive list of the various footprints of red dots on the market. Makes it easy to find the potential options for mounts from a different maker than the RMR itself.

Wow, thank you @Woodcarver, that is exactly what I wanted.

I’m confused. If a person can afford a double they can afford to get the lenses in their eyes replaced and get 20/20 vision back. Why would they not do that?

I’m confused. If a person can afford a double they can afford to get the lenses in their eyes replaced and get 20/20 vision back. Why would they not do that?
Maybe in a sophisticated country this is a fail safe option @Sourdough , but here it is not. I have a friend who now has ruined sight through a botched op. That is why I opted for a set of hunting prescription glasses and a red dot - dead safe.

Priorities. Gun? Lenses? Gun w/ red dot, put the lenses off for a bit and go hunting; seems reasonable :A Shades:

Reactions: DWB
Why not use a Dokter plate and a Dokter sight if you do not wish to use Trijicon?
The problem is Docter sights are like hen's teeth. Then if you find one you can't get the dovetail claw base, I waited three months and cancelled the order.
The next complication was I bought a Kahles RD sight thinking it would be easy to find a base. But it comes with a conversion plate to Docter footing! So I have settled for the drill and screw Henneberger base with a Docter footing and it is on the way from Germany.
For the Verney I fitted a Trijicon RMR sight on a similar Henneberger base with Trijicon footing.

Maybe in a sophisticated country this is a fail safe option @Sourdough , but here it is not. I have a friend who now has ruined sight through a botched op. That is why I opted for a set of hunting prescription glasses and a red dot - dead safe.
That's unfortunate but I completely understand. My eye doctor had already done over ten thousand operations and I was sick of buying new glasses every other year so I went for it. Absolutely the best decision I ever made. Quality of life is super important to me and wow did that improve. My business partner, who is the opposite of me- extremely risk adverse- waited almost two years to be sure I didn't go blind I guess before he had his done. And he now feels the same as I do. I've been where all you guys are and it just hurts me to hear your struggles.

Ghost ring....

Puuting a scope on a double can sometimes change point of impact for one, or both barrels. One of my previous doubles did not regulate with a scope attached. I never could work up a load that shot close to regulation when the scope was on. Shot fine without it. I had three other other doubles that could be scoped, and had no problem with a scope and shot just like their regulation target.
I don't remember the micro dots being available back then, so I don't know whether they would change things or not.
Bfly

Hi! I'm new to the forum so I'm excited to jump in on this convo. From what I've heard, the Bergara BXR is a pretty solid choice for a double rifle in .470NE caliber. It's a good balance between affordability and performance. From what I know, both scopes and red dot sights can offer great accuracy. It just comes down to what ya prefer. If ya want something more precise, then go for a scope. If ya want something faster to target, then try a red dot. IMO, it's a toss-up. Whichever you choose, make sure you have enough time to practice with it and get used to it.

This has got to be a ChatGPT / OpenAI generated response, haha.

Kahles red dot, unless you want a carrying handle on your double.

Lon

I use a red dot on my double rifle for driven game, boar, deer etc and out to 125yrds it has proved adequate.
I have also had it mounted on my 375JDJ Encore and shot a Silver Medal wild boar at 120yrds no problem.
Sooooo.... if your hunting is sneaking in and shooting deer under 100yrds, the red dot will do it.
Over 100yrds I would prefer a scope x 2 or 3 upwards AND would go for a variable just in case a target walks out 150yrds away.

Does the red dot offer any advantages over a true 1x scope with illumination?

Weight (lack of) and balance possibly. Definitely more eye relief. For me, they do feel more like irons for target acquisition, but I'm still experimenting. I do prefer the smaller dot of my illuminated scopes over the 3.25 MOA dot of the Leupold Delta Pro I've got, especially as distance increases beyond 75 yards or so.

What Woodcarver said plus having a one in 1 MOA myself I can shoot well and precise with it.
Quick target acquisition
Shooting both eyes open
Dependable if you buy proper brand like Trijicon etc.
Shooting when almost dark or at night

What Woodcarver said plus having a one in 1 MOA myself I can shoot well and precise with it.
Quick target acquisition
Shooting both eyes open
Dependable if you buy proper brand like Trijicon etc.
Shooting when almost dark or at night
I competed in my first big bore skoot with my double with 3.25 moa Trijicon. I like the system, but for sure one needs a 1moa.

My V/C 500NE came with mill cuts in the rib for a red dot base. I got the Trijicon RMR/SRO base to clamp into those cuts. Now I need to get the red dot selected. I keep going back and forth between 1 MOA and 2 MOA dots. I also want to get the right battery access. I've used the Fast Fire red dots extensively on turkey guns but hate the battery access cover, which can be easily cross-threaded.

So is there any consensus on 1 vs 2 MOA dots...and which have the best battery access? I will probably be using the Trijicon base plate unless there is a better recommendation.

My V/C 500NE came with mill cuts in the rib for a red dot base. I got the Trijicon RMR/SRO base to clamp into those cuts. Now I need to get the red dot selected. I keep going back and forth between 1 MOA and 2 MOA dots. I also want to get the right battery access. I've used the Fast Fire red dots extensively on turkey guns but hate the battery access cover, which can be easily cross-threaded.

So is there any consensus on 1 vs 2 MOA dots...and which have the best battery access? I will probably be using the Trijicon base plate unless there is a better recommendation.
The Kahles has a side battery drawer, but it will not fit the Trijicon base you have bought. It comes with an adapter plate so it will fit a Docter base.
The Trijicon RMR is one of, if not the lowest profile red dots, but the battery is underneath and you have to remove the sight from the base to change the battery. So what! These bases are so accurately machined I doubt the poi would change at all.

I don't mind switching bases if it will fit the 11-12mm rib I have that is cut for that already. I don't want additional holes or screws in the gun. I'm open to that IF it's needed.

I don't mind switching bases if it will fit the 11-12mm rib I have that is cut for that already. I don't want additional holes or screws in the gun. I'm open to that IF it's needed.
The problem with base adapters is they add even more height. The trick is to somehow find a base that is right for the red dot you choose, and by right I don't just mean base pattern being correct, but that the base itself isn't unnecessarily high. As an example of what not to do, I bought this base off the internet to fit a Kahles to my Heym. It ended up so high that the red dot was below the horizon, had to discard it all and went the hole drilling route, I am very happy with the result.
EBE32122-BD6D-4674-AE85-6258E6328DF9.jpeg

Compare that with the final mounting of a Trijicon RMR
871609E1-22C9-432D-A059-BF63E7D7ADBA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg