Scope for CZ 550 in 375?

3x9 leupold worked quite well on this cz-550 in .375 H&H mag for most of the animals I shot in Africa.

DSCN8492.JPG
DSCN9030 (2).JPG
DSCN9684 (2).JPG

The one way to save money and still end up with a quality scope is to get a fixed power scope. Features cost money, so don't pay for ones you don't need. Then the money you spend goes toward better glass and robustness.

The past 12 years my cz 550 375 has worn a weaver k series 2.5x20mm scope, and I have never felt under scoped. That scope is plain. Fixed 2.5x, duplex reticle, but it is clear and has never shifted zero. It cost around 400 US when I bought it, but seems to be discontinued.

Then there is the issue of rings. A good rifle with a good scope mounted in junk rings will give headaches.

My 2 cents.

.375 isn't the worst by far, but it still kicks. Even if the rifle is well made and balanced and absorbs recoil, the scope will feel it. Lots of cheaper scopes are intended for North American type rifles, which doesn't usually extend to .375.

Brand is up to you, but rather buy second hand and buy quality than buy something that won't last or won't give you the performance you need in a dangerous game rifle. Leupold is very good, as are the European names, but they are much more expensive. Having said that, even a new Swarovski Z3 in 3-10x42 is $800, and some will go lower (just bought one in Canada for quite a bit less).

Apart from that, in my view you need:

1. Not too much power. The .375 to reasonable even at longer ranges, but most people don't buy it for that, so you don't need to get a huge scope with 18x or whatever. I think the 3-10x is about all anyone should need. You could even go lower than 3x, but to keep the upper end means more expense.

2. Get detachable mounts. It's always easier to follow up on wounded dangerous game without a scope. If you want to be helpful, you should be able to take the scope off. That means practice with iron sights.

3. They are more expensive, but if you can find a good one used, an illuminated reticle is a wonderful option to have as light fades (not everyone here agrees with me on this . . .).

Good luck with the purchase, and enjoy it. This is half the fun of hunting!

I have a CZ 550 in 375H&H with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 and I really like it.
For that reason I am selling my Trijicon Accupoint 4-16x50 (Red Post Retricle) that currently sits in Warne QD rings for a CZ.
Was planning on putting it in the classifieds...

PM me if you are interested.

I'm thinking of putting one of my 3-9x36 Scopes on my 9.3x62 with a deer / plains game focus.

Scrummy

i have a 2.5x8 leupold mounted on two of my deer rifles and I like them a lot. all the power I,ve ever needed for deer hunting. the longest two shots with one of them was 28o yrds and 310 yrds on prong horn out west, one shot each .

DSCN0334 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I've done some looking around and I think I've settled on the leupold 3.5-10 the offer two models one with a drop compensation hash mark and one without. The scope with the drop compensation is 100 dollars more. I'm wondering what the general opinion on drop compensation scopes is?

For the most part, I'm a Leupold guy too. I have a few that look like they were used to drive nails but are still like new in how they work. The 2.5-8x would be a great scope. As Dwight Beagle suggested, the 1.75-6x is a great scope. I have one with the heavy duplex reticle on my .375 H&H Sako. It makes a great combo. You may luck out and find one left on the shelf of some small gun shop.
HOWEVER... If you can swing the $$$, a 1-6x or 1-8x Swarovski, Zeiss or other high end scope, you won't regret it. Five years from now, every time you look thru that scope, you'll forget about the money you spent and admire the quality.

I too am looking for a scope for a newly acquired .375.
I have seen a few that catch my eye and tick the boxes, has anyone used or got experience of a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Fire-Dot?
I don't want a massive scope and the magnification is just about what I am looking for as well as an illuminated reticle.

I use a Leupold VX1 3-9 on all my rifles.
It’s a cheap option, definitely doesn’t cost more than any of my guns, but I have them on a .375, .308 and a .223 and they have never been less than perfect.
Mount them in a set of Warne rings, Zero your rifle and you are good to go for hunt after hunt.

I too am looking for a scope for a newly acquired .375.
I have seen a few that catch my eye and tick the boxes, has anyone used or got experience of a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with Fire-Dot?
I don't want a massive scope and the magnification is just about what I am looking for as well as an illuminated reticle.

I have a 2-7x33 VX-R with the Firedot 4 reticle, it’s one of my favorite scopes.

Witold suggested Meopta. I have a couple of MeoPro 3.5-10x44’s and they are my favorites of the scopes I own. Both have the German #4. For the size game I’d hunt with a .375 I’d rather have a scope with a low end magnification of 1x-2x buts that’s just me and I’m not suggesting it’s the only way to roll.

Keep in mind the distance between the rings when using the CZ-550 magnum action. A quality straight tube scope will allow much more fore and aft movement for you to get the proper eye relief . I don't know what length of pull is best for you but if the stock is a bit long the objective may not allow enough movement to the rear. Many of the 1.5 to whatever magnification scopes have a field of view on the low end from say 65 to 75 feet. There is a difference when using a scope of 1 power or close to it, on the bottom end with a field of view 100 plus feet with both eyes open at close range. Decide what is the most important, the bottom end or the top end of the magnification scale? I have tried quite a few scope types and brands over the years. I have lamented the purchase of a particular rifle here and there but the best glass you can afford is money well spent IMHO.

Swarovski z3-3-9x36 4a Reticle in QD mounts, perfect :)

I know this is old but just wanted to point out...

The recently discontinued Leeupold VX1 is the same scope as the previous VXII. I wouldnt be afraid of one of those if that's what's in the budget.

Leupold claims that all their models (even the lowly Rifleman) go through the same recoil test equivalent to hundreds (thousands?) of rounds of .458 Lott + 40%. I assume they use some sort of recoil generator as opposed to an actual rifle.

I have Leupold VX1 2x7x33 , VX1 1-4x20 and M8 2.5 on a .375 Wby, and two .375 H&H's and have had zero issues. You can buy better glass but Leupold has a pretty good record when it comes to moderately priced reliable scopes.

My 2 cents.

.375 isn't the worst by far, but it still kicks. Even if the rifle is well made and balanced and absorbs recoil, the scope will feel it. Lots of cheaper scopes are intended for North American type rifles, which doesn't usually extend to .375.

Brand is up to you, but rather buy second hand and buy quality than buy something that won't last or won't give you the performance you need in a dangerous game rifle. Leupold is very good, as are the European names, but they are much more expensive. Having said that, even a new Swarovski Z3 in 3-10x42 is $800, and some will go lower (just bought one in Canada for quite a bit less).

Apart from that, in my view you need:

1. Not too much power. The .375 to reasonable even at longer ranges, but most people don't buy it for that, so you don't need to get a huge scope with 18x or whatever. I think the 3-10x is about all anyone should need. You could even go lower than 3x, but to keep the upper end means more expense.

2. Get detachable mounts. It's always easier to follow up on wounded dangerous game without a scope. If you want to be helpful, you should be able to take the scope off. That means practice with iron sights.

3. They are more expensive, but if you can find a good one used, an illuminated reticle is a wonderful option to have as light fades (not everyone here agrees with me on this . . .).

Good luck with the purchase, and enjoy it. This is half the fun of hunting!
Thanks! I did end up going with a Leupold 3x10

I might be looking in the wrong places but 34mm rings are harder to find than I thought it would be.

I might be looking in the wrong places but 34mm rings are harder to find than I thought it would be.
Most rings made of that diameter will be made to fit a Picatinny type base or rail but there are a few other types made in 34mm. I have not personally seen any 34mm rings made to fit a CZ-550.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.