Scirocco

As an aside, I really like this RL-19 powder too.

As an aside, I really like this RL-19 powder too.
Me too! :)

Extremely windy today. But, still a satisfactory trip to the range. At 200 yards one particular group of shots is about 2" . So that is great. The velocity for that group was between 2834 and 2877. What was really interesting was how they grouped relatively consistently all through the ladder. I think I quite like this bullet.View attachment 373976
Very promising indeed (y)

Me too! :)

Very promising indeed (y)
I looked at the Woodleigh manual and the 180gr PP with RL 19 max is 3000 fps. The Nosler has their max just under that. So I am thinking of trying three shot groups starting with the last test shot from my ladder on the assumption is was actually the Middle of the node. The last two shots were literally side by side.

I'm amazed you guys got them to fly well. Easily the most frustrating bullet I've worked with. Any load data you'd like to share?
I had grouping problems until I spoke with the Swift guys at the SCI convention. They said seat them deeper. I did and then got tiny groups

I've used Scirocco II in two different caliber: 270WSM and 7mm-08. Both grouped really well compared to other bullet types and both proved to have dramatic results on impact, releasing huge initial energy yet penetrating very well.

I have not shot the Scirocco, but have wondered if the Hornady SST is a similar bullet. I have shot the SST and had very good accuracy and a lot of one shot kills. The Scirocco is pretty expensive as I recall.

I've used Scirocco II in two different caliber: 270WSM and 7mm-08. Both grouped really well compared to other bullet types and both proved to have dramatic results on impact, releasing huge initial energy yet penetrating very well.
Have you used them on a moose? Or should I stick to the A-Frames?

I have not shot the Scirocco, but have wondered if the Hornady SST is a similar bullet. I have shot the SST and had very good accuracy and a lot of one shot kills. The Scirocco is pretty expensive as I recall.
SST is definitely not similar to the Scirocco. The SST is much more lightly constructed. If you look at a section view of each the difference is quite evident.
May not be a great comparative example, but not terrible either, SST would be more comparable to a Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Scirocco is more like an Accubond.

Have you used them on a moose? Or should I stick to the A-Frames?
I would use the A-Frames on moose/elk. The sirocco's work well on deer and pigs for me.

For .20 + years I have used Both A frames and Sciroccos 180 in my 300 wby
Africa Mexico Canada US west
From Mountain Goat to. Kudu. Works grate for me

20201108_150734.jpg

200 yards. 79.5grs RL-19. I am going to estimate around 2900 fps, maybe a bit more. Very happy with that three shot group

I'm amazed you guys got them to fly well. Easily the most frustrating bullet I've worked with. Any load data you'd like to share?
Funny thing is, I reload for every caliber I own. Several years ago I was in a pinch for 300 Win Mag and didn't have time to work up a load for a new HS Precision rifle that just came in. I went to the local gun shop and they had some Remington Premiers with the 180 gn Scirocco. Make a long story short those damn factory rounds shot one hole out of that gun. I ran back and bought the 3 boxes of the same lot.

I got them to be very accurate from my 7mm-08 in 150gr but not a speed where I was happy with them. Then some years later I was guiding a guy for elk. He was shooting a super power .300-can’t remember which caliber. He made about a 300 yard shot on a big bull. We found the bullet under the skin on the far side after it had wrecked the vitals. I was very impressed with the mushroom but it was his to keep and I never got to weigh it. It was excellent performance on every level though-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross