Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Worked up some loads and went to the range with the 99 today. If I can get GMX or TSX/TTSX to shoot as well as the SST, I’m going to be tempted to take with me next summer. Anybody else hunted Africa with a .300 Savage and peep sights?

Targets were at 50 yards.

47433F68-AF3F-4E81-A6CB-C2AC1F6C5D1F.jpeg
44875614-4AE6-4332-B7C5-CFA5EEFABAE0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
99 in Africa, why the hell not? That’s a fine shooting rifle Glenn!

Glenn......I have been hoping to hunt Africa with a couple of 99's. It still may happen. I have found 4064 to be one of the two best powders for my 300's, and your groups show that it worked well for you. I had planned on trying to use the 22 HP on the Tiny and the 300 on other plains game...the latter with a 165 grain cup and core bullet. Although other hunters have used lever guns in Africa, I am still concerned by Jerome's posting here entitled "South Africa Hunting Information" that says, in part, "No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action, or slide action firearms are allowed". But if you get SAPS clearance, I suppose you'd be OK. The 300 has taken a lot of big, tough bull elk, so I see no reason it wouldn't perform well ...................best of luck ....................FWB

I had a 99 in 308WIN and it kicked like a mule from what I remember.
Steel butt plate and it was really light, both of which didn't help much.
Like most of my other rifles, it was sold to finance something else.

That said it was a great rifle to carry and quick to reload.
Ballistically, the 300SAVAGE is really close to the 308WIN, so I think you'll be fine.

BTW - Nice shooting with irons.

Glenn......I have been hoping to hunt Africa with a couple of 99's. It still may happen. I have found 4064 to be one of the two best powders for my 300's, and your groups show that it worked well for you. I had planned on trying to use the 22 HP on the Tiny and the 300 on other plains game...the latter with a 165 grain cup and core bullet. Although other hunters have used lever guns in Africa, I am still concerned by Jerome's posting here entitled "South Africa Hunting Information" that says, in part, "No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action, or slide action firearms are allowed". But if you get SAPS clearance, I suppose you'd be OK. The 300 has taken a lot of big, tough bull elk, so I see no reason it wouldn't perform well ...................best of luck ....................FWB
Yeah I didn’t think SA would have a ban on lever actions. Ugh. I have seen some that have hunted with lever guns and just assumed SA would be the most lax

Awesome groups! I would be fun as a deer hunting rifle.

Awesome groups! I would be fun as a deer hunting rifle.
Thank you. Going to try it out this season. Little did I know all this was going to happen when I bought it. I figured i would get it and play with it, then put in safe w other guns. Something bit me though, and now I’m all about this little gun.

Where I grew up we had a large Finish population. Most of them had Sav 99 in 300 Sav. Most of the hunting was done in Timber with shots being less than 100 yds.

I had the privilege of growing up and hunting with a couple of these gentlemen and a lot of Moose and Elk were killed with the 300 Sav. No wounded or long tracking. Competent hunters familar with their firearms.

I used to have one and shot a few moose with it. Worked well. Can't remember why I got rid of it.... At any rate, I think it should do well with plains game but I would use a bonded or monolithic bullet.

136525A9-933A-424C-BC54-BD2935FB0CF8.jpeg

Here is a picture my Mom just found of her Uncle with his 99.

Bullthrower, that looks to be a "99G" which is a take down model.

@Dwight Beagle
Why not go the trio mate. A 22 hipower, the 250/3000 and a 300.
The 300 will do everything the 308 will and has been boring so for a long time.
Bob
Because I have no desire to own a 99 in a cartridge other than 250-3000.

Because I have no desire to own a 99 in a cartridge other than 250-3000.
@Dwight Beagle
Fair enough and I do like the 25 cals.
In Australia in the 50s thru to the 70s and to some extent still we had the 25/303 which has the same balisticly as the savage and it has killed a truck load of game over the years
Bob

It would make a lovely plains game rifle , provided that the ranges be kept reasonable . The .300 Savage should be a suitable contender for most plains game , barring those big eland bulls . May I ask what kind of groups you were getting at 100 yards ?

@Dwight Beagle
Fair enough and I do like the 25 cals.
In Australia in the 50s thru to the 70s and to some extent still we had the 25/303 which has the same balisticly as the savage and it has killed a truck load of game over the years
Bob
After reading my response it looks a little rude to me and it wasn’t meant to be. I’d like a Savage 99 in 250-3000, in .308 and .243 I’d just as soon have a bolt action. And I’ll take a .308 over a .300 Savage strictly because of off the shelf ammo availability.

There are a few cartridges that have cachet or the “it” quality to me, but in a particular action. In addition to a 250-3000 Savage 99 I jones for a .300 H&H Magnum, .404 Jeffery and .275 Rigby in a CRF bolt action rifle. 6.5x55 isn’t mentioned b/c I already have one. I’d also like a Grulla or AyA SxS 16 gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg