Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Worked up some loads and went to the range with the 99 today. If I can get GMX or TSX/TTSX to shoot as well as the SST, I’m going to be tempted to take with me next summer. Anybody else hunted Africa with a .300 Savage and peep sights?

Targets were at 50 yards.

47433F68-AF3F-4E81-A6CB-C2AC1F6C5D1F.jpeg
44875614-4AE6-4332-B7C5-CFA5EEFABAE0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
99 in Africa, why the hell not? That’s a fine shooting rifle Glenn!

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
Glenn......I have been hoping to hunt Africa with a couple of 99's. It still may happen. I have found 4064 to be one of the two best powders for my 300's, and your groups show that it worked well for you. I had planned on trying to use the 22 HP on the Tiny and the 300 on other plains game...the latter with a 165 grain cup and core bullet. Although other hunters have used lever guns in Africa, I am still concerned by Jerome's posting here entitled "South Africa Hunting Information" that says, in part, "No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action, or slide action firearms are allowed". But if you get SAPS clearance, I suppose you'd be OK. The 300 has taken a lot of big, tough bull elk, so I see no reason it wouldn't perform well ...................best of luck ....................FWB

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I had a 99 in 308WIN and it kicked like a mule from what I remember.
Steel butt plate and it was really light, both of which didn't help much.
Like most of my other rifles, it was sold to finance something else.

That said it was a great rifle to carry and quick to reload.
Ballistically, the 300SAVAGE is really close to the 308WIN, so I think you'll be fine.

BTW - Nice shooting with irons.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Glenn......I have been hoping to hunt Africa with a couple of 99's. It still may happen. I have found 4064 to be one of the two best powders for my 300's, and your groups show that it worked well for you. I had planned on trying to use the 22 HP on the Tiny and the 300 on other plains game...the latter with a 165 grain cup and core bullet. Although other hunters have used lever guns in Africa, I am still concerned by Jerome's posting here entitled "South Africa Hunting Information" that says, in part, "No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action, or slide action firearms are allowed". But if you get SAPS clearance, I suppose you'd be OK. The 300 has taken a lot of big, tough bull elk, so I see no reason it wouldn't perform well ...................best of luck ....................FWB
Yeah I didn’t think SA would have a ban on lever actions. Ugh. I have seen some that have hunted with lever guns and just assumed SA would be the most lax

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Awesome groups! I would be fun as a deer hunting rifle.

Glenn Slaven

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Awesome groups! I would be fun as a deer hunting rifle.
Thank you. Going to try it out this season. Little did I know all this was going to happen when I bought it. I figured i would get it and play with it, then put in safe w other guns. Something bit me though, and now I’m all about this little gun.

shark_za

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Limpopo, KZN, Free State, N-Cape, E-Cape
There is no official policy blocking hunting with lever or pump action rifle in South Africa.
The only definition in the law books refers to "manually operated" rifles are allowed and you Savage 99 is certainly that.

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Where I grew up we had a large Finish population. Most of them had Sav 99 in 300 Sav. Most of the hunting was done in Timber with shots being less than 100 yds.

I had the privilege of growing up and hunting with a couple of these gentlemen and a lot of Moose and Elk were killed with the 300 Sav. No wounded or long tracking. Competent hunters familar with their firearms.

Rick Cox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
I used to have one and shot a few moose with it. Worked well. Can't remember why I got rid of it.... At any rate, I think it should do well with plains game but I would use a bonded or monolithic bullet.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
136525A9-933A-424C-BC54-BD2935FB0CF8.jpeg

Here is a picture my Mom just found of her Uncle with his 99.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings
Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.