Sako 85 Ejection Issue Solved

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Take a look at the video I made, showing how I solved my Sako 85 375 H&H ejection issue.
If you read my hunt report, entitled, BUFFALO RODEO IN THE KALAHARI, you can read about the very hairy position this rifle put me in while hunting Cape Buffalo. I wish I had fixed this issue before my hunt, but hind sight is 20/20!
Anyway, if you're having a similar issue with your Sako 85, here's the remedy.

Thanks for that @TOBY458 (y)

I gotta admit before I opened the video there was a part of me expecting to see it be smashed into a billion little pieces...:ROFLMAO:

Win 70 416 scope rotation.JPG
Scope adjustment arrows.JPG
Funny, I posted this on this forum quite a while back and got little or no comment. I have all my hunting rifle scopes mounted this way. Folks I show or tell around here just look at me like I have an extra eyeball in my forehead :)

I just use a fine felt tip to add the correction (Up/Down and Left/Right) to the turrets as shown in the pic.

Additionally, if you have a Rem 700/721 and convert to a Sako/M16 style extractor, the same thing can happen where the carts are ejected at too high an angle and can hit the right side scope turret cap.

Last edited:
Funny, I posted this on this forum quite a while back and got little or no comment. I have all my hunting rifle scopes mounted this way. Folks I show or tell around here just look at me like I have an extra eyeball in my forehead :)

Additionally, if you have a Rem 700/721 and convert to a Sako/M16 style extractor, the same thing can happen where the carts are ejected at too high an angle and can hit the right side scope turret cap. View attachment 300286
If the scope has no elevation marks in the crosshairs, I see little issue with mounting it this way. It also gives more room for loading the rifle from the top. I may do this to all my DG rifles. I tried to mount a Leupold VX3 1.5-5×20 on this rifle with the turrets located this way, but unfortunately, the power adjustment ring on those newer scopes, have a big knob on the ring that prevents it from turning while not hitting the scope base. It would require a very high ring to prevent the problem. So, as long as you use a scope with the small adjustment ring, there's no issue.

All this kinda makes me wonder if the folks at Leupold are paying attention....Shouldn't be that big a deal for them to design the turrent on the other side.

Yes, I’ve always wondered that. May date back to the very earliest scopes that copied the orientation of the adjustments on most of the aperture sights. Certainly just as easy to place the turrets on top and left sides of scopes... but then southpaw shooters would complain

Yes, I’ve always wondered that. May date back to the very earliest scopes that copied the orientation of the adjustments on most of the aperture sights. Certainly just as easy to place the turrets on top and left sides of scopes... but then southpaw shooters would complain
They could easily do that. It would make more sense to have the ejection port free from obstructions, which would make top loading much easier.

Much more sense!- but would go against years of habit and protocol. Absolutely should be that way for a DG rifle. And it's hard to predict which rifles will do it. The impact is usually on the shoulder area but not always and is probably not always noticed by the shooter if the carts are shucked out with no jams. I was surprised, after really understanding it, how common it is. That dent on the shoulder, no matter how small, is the normal tell-tale sign of a strike on the turret.

The mechanics of that ejection angle are fairly complex. And you are absolutely right in making sure that the loading port area is as clear as possible especially for scrambling under pressure and while running trying to reload after shooting DG! Been there done that

Much more sense!- but would go against years of habit and protocol. Absolutely should be that way for a DG rifle. And it's hard to predict which rifles will do it. The impact is usually on the shoulder area but not always and is probably not always noticed by the shooter if the carts are shucked out with no jams. I was surprised, after really understanding it, how common it is. That dent on the shoulder, no matter how small, is the normal tell-tale sign of a strike on the turret.

The mechanics of that ejection angle are fairly complex. And you are absolutely right in making sure that the loading port area is as clear as possible especially for scrambling under pressure and while running trying to reload after shooting DG! Been there done that
I also have a Winchester 70 416 Rem mag that does this at times. It's not nearly at predictable at the Sako was though. I plan to turn that scope as well, if it will work.

This thread had me run downstairs to check my scope on my 375.
Yep, I can turn it.
Now I'm sitting here thinking about which way is now "UP" and "RIGHT".

Anyway, appreciate the video.
One more reason the guys at the range will be looking at us AHers funny.

This thread had me run downstairs to check my scope on my 375.
Yep, I can turn it.
Now I'm sitting here thinking about which way is now "UP" and "RIGHT".

Anyway, appreciate the video.
One more reason the guys at the range will be looking at us AHers funny.
Right is Up. And Up is Left. Is that confusing enough for ya? Lol!

Here's both together for reference. Leupold scope and maybe most others--- just have to check to make certain.
When rotated 90' left
Right on scope becomes Up
Up on scope becomes Left
Extra fine felt tip to make note of the changes prevents confusion and waste of ammo :)

Scope adjustment arrows.JPG
Scope adjustment arrows 1.JPG

Toby, I think you need to go try it out on another buffalo! You better get Johan lined up for another one next year. :LOL::ROFLMAO::D

I applaud your endeavour, well done.

But it's really a shame that Sako don't want to know about a fundamental design flaw that has been so widely documented.
I'd expect a bargain basement Savage Axis to feed and eject properly, let alone a Sako. It's a basic expectation I'd have thought. I own an old Sako AV 375, but I'd never buy an 85 for this reason. Pity, 'cos I love the look of them.

A good gunsmith can change the angle of ejection. A much better option than moving the scope. This is one of the things I had done at Hill Country Rifles on my Rugers. After my experiences I believe any potential DG gun needs to be put through a torture test on the range and go to the best gunsmith you can find.
Philip

Have to disagree. Rotating the scope 90' left changes nothing mechanically and has all positive effects and is completely reversible. Monkeying around with the ejector and extractor, which together determine angle of ejection, is just that monkeying with and altering the basic parts of the extraction-ejection system.

Two years ago , l encountered a .500 Jeffery Model Sako 85 which also had ejection issues. Major Turn off .
I am glad that you are alright . A jammed gun during a duel with a brute like a Cape Buffalo is not the most painless way to die :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg