Safari with a double only

Kevin, even though not on one trip, I’ve successfully hunted Buffalo, Zebra, Nyala, Impala, giraffe, blue wildebeest , Eland and koedoe with my .450-400 3&1/4” with open sights.

A one gun Safari is doable in the right area
That is a real achievement Dewald, especially with a 3&1/4". It does indeed seem possible, and I am sure very satisfying to get that bag with the fieldcraft involved.

@Uintaelkhunter sounds good we are out of Dallas to Doha, then it looks like we will be on the same flight to Joberg. I will try and track you down in Doha

Which of you has hunted in Africa exclusively with a double rifle?
this sounds like a real hunt if you can make it work, all the nostalgia as well as the challenge. I recall a hunt report just a short while ago and this was the case, lots of PG animals and a buff I think, but I can't locate it. What make and calibre did you use, and what sighting system? What would you change next time?
I went to Zambia in 2019 and only took my double. I took 2 Puku (70 yards and 116 yards), 1 buff (74 yards), and a bushbuck (66 yards running). I have a Westley Richards in 450#2. Just used the irons that came on the rifle 116 years ago. I wouldn’t change anything. I’m going back next month and taking that rifle back with me.

I believe Tanks is on a doubles safari right now. 9.3 & 500NE if I remember right.

I went to Zambia in 2019 and only took my double. I took 2 Puku (70 yards and 116 yards), 1 buff (74 yards), and a bushbuck (66 yards running). I have a Westley Richards in 450#2. Just used the irons that came on the rifle 116 years ago. I wouldn’t change anything. I’m going back next month and taking that rifle back with me.
Wonderful SkullKeeper, what is on the card for the next hunt? Note the word hunt, what a special way to go. You Sir should wear a pith helmet!

A .375 Holland & Holland Flanged, a 9,3x74R or a 450/400 should be great for a double rifle only hunt..
I just aquired a 1903-4 vintage boxlocked Joseph Lang in 450/400 3 1/4...need to slug the barrel and load for it...the rifle came with some ancient Eley and Kynoch cordite ammo that goes CLICK or FIZZ..BANG...gone primers I guess..

Anyway...a sweet little handy rifle..

Wonderful SkullKeeper, what is on the card for the next hunt? Note the word hunt, what a special way to go. You Sir should wear a pith helmet!
I will have on license 2 buff, a croc, kudu, bushbuck, and a few other things. My PH will flinch but I definitely want to try for my croc with my double. And yes my mother actually has a pith helmet in her collection of vintage items- I believe it to be from the early 1900 hundreds ! Maybe she will let me borrow it !

A .375 Holland & Holland Flanged, a 9,3x74R or a 450/400 should be great for a double rifle only hunt..
I just aquired a 1903-4 vintage boxlocked Joseph Lang in 450/400 3 1/4...need to slug the barrel and load for it...the rifle came with some ancient Eley and Kynoch cordite ammo that goes CLICK or FIZZ..BANG...gone primers I guess..

Anyway...a sweet little handy rifle..
I remember seeing a beautiful Lang in that caliber for sale in a little shop up in Rhode Island back in the 90’s. I really wanted it but at that time my wallet laughed at me !

I remember seeing a beautiful Lang in that caliber for sale in a little shop up in Rhode Island back in the 90’s. I really wanted it but at that time my wallet laughed at me !

My Lang in the middle..

Rifles1.jpg
Rifles2.jpg

Come to think of it..this would be my choice for a double only....for PG, a Gaucher in 9,3x74R...1,5-4 Zeiss and most accurate to 100m..

G3.jpeg

Come to think of it..this would be my choice for a double only....for PG, a Gaucher in 9,3x74R...1,5-4 Zeiss and most accurate to 100m..

View attachment 417071
How do you like your Gaucher? There is one in 9.3x74R for sale here in the US and roughly $3k less than any other SXS I’ve seen in that cartridge

I like it a lot...it seems to be sturdy built...and accurate it is..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber