Safari frequency?

Special antelope is $629 plus application fees. Not $900 but expensive. Preference point is $31 per year. Deer $41 and elk $51.
I know, I have hunted Wyoming and it irks me to see someone come on and start to complain on the North American Wildlife model of conversation. It also appears from the comment "hunting

The last that I saw there were over 100,000 non resident elk tags sold in Colorado, that is more than all the hunters who hunt South Africa. The poster also appears from his comment of "fellow US residents to hunt on our federal land" that he feel as if he should be able to hunt any and all states for the resident fees even with the animals being managed by the states.

I wonder how South Africa and the rest of Africa wold look like animal wise if all those who hunt out west headed over there to shoot animals, how long would their resource last?

I know, I have hunted Wyoming and it irks me to see someone come on and start to complain on the North American Wildlife model of conversation. It also appears from the comment "hunting

The last that I saw there were over 100,000 non resident elk tags sold in Colorado, that is more than all the hunters who hunt South Africa. The poster also appears from his comment of "fellow US residents to hunt on our federal land" that he feel as if he should be able to hunt any and all states for the resident fees even with the animals being managed by the states.

I wonder how South Africa and the rest of Africa wold look like animal wise if all those who hunt out west headed over there to shoot animals, how long would their resource last?
JimP brings up some interesting points, I feel private property owners should charge whatever they can get for access to their property. While animals on federal land are managed by state agencies the land is managed ( I would actually say mis-managed ) by the federal government and our tax dollars. The state agencies may actually get more revenue if they sell more licenses at resident prices to non resident hunters but I truly don’t think most game populations could handle that much pressure especially with fluctuations in population numbers with things like fire and in this years case of winter die offs.

Can you hunt pronghorn, elk, moose, mule deer, rocky mountain goats, bighorn sheep, or a number of other animals that live here in the US in Africa?

I you have several hundred dollars tied up in 8 preference points there is something wrong.

I'd also like to see where you got your information on a Wyoming pronghorn costing $900 in 2024.
$629 special license pronghorn wyoming 2023. Not 900, but not 2024. Also winter has been brutal. Probably less tags available which brings more point creep.

$629 special license pronghorn wyoming 2023. Not 900, but not 2024. Also winter has been brutal. Probably less tags available which brings more point creep.
This extreme winter didn't hit the whole state of Wyoming. If a person wants to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming they just need to do some homework on where. There is also no reason to put in for the "special" tag, unless you want to jump the line.

Can you hunt pronghorn, elk, moose, mule deer, rocky mountain goats, bighorn sheep, or a number of other animals that live here in the US in Africa?

I you have several hundred dollars tied up in 8 preference points there is something wrong.

I'd also like to see where you got your information on a Wyoming pronghorn costing $900 in 2024.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a non-resident whiner. I wanted to point out that big game opportunities for non-resident hunters in the US are becoming more limited and more expensive.

A non-resident has little to no opportunity for moose, goats, sheep in the lower 48.

I have been buying antelope preference points for 8 years for myself, my wife and son. 24 points at $30 or so. It adds up to several hundred dollars. The unit I chose to hunt requires a minimum of 8 points to draw with the special license. I chose this unit because it is mostly public (Federal) land. Some units require as many as 14 points. Units with lower point requirements typically have less public land.

I think residents should get first opportunity at licenses in their state, at a much lower price. I don't think non-residents such as myself have equal opportunity to licenses just because they hunt on Federal land. States need to regulate hunting in their own state. We don't want the Federal gov. doing it. A Federal judge shut down wolf hunting in MN and grizzly hunting in WY. That's wrong, states should have complete control over the wildlife in their state.

There are several changes coming to Wyoming in 2024, look up HB0200. Non-resident elk licenses will be $1,958 after buying the license and special permit fee. This is on top of any preference points purchased along the way. Antelope will be $874 for the special fee, plus whatever the license fee is. So it will be well over $1,200. Deer license costs are similar.

I predict Colorado is going to see a lot more pressure from non-resident hunters in 2024. In my home state of MN a non-resident can buy an antlered deer tag over the counter every year for $185.

I'm done talking about the increased costs and limited opportunities for non-residents in the US. That's not what this thread is about. I wanted to point out a trend that is making African big game hunting more and more attractive to US hunters who have typically hunted as non-residents in other states.

I have dreamed of African hunting since my 20s, finally went in 2022, and planing to go back in 2025, at 55 years young. For me it's a question of free time and money. We are hoping to set up a trip every 3 years right now, would prefer every other. Currently, hunt year X, have trophys D&P plus shipped year X+1, get my local taxidermy done n home year X+2. Go hunting the next year, so should be in RSA in 2025.

As others have mentioned, it depends on the availability of time, health, and funds.

Frankly, I never expected to take an African safari at all; too far, too expensive, lots of other places that I haven't yet hunted, etc. But I had decided some years ago to take some sort of "special" hunting trip (for species not found locally) every two years, starting in 2016. I would hunt locally during the odd-numbered years.

Covid threw me off-schedule, and we went to RSA in 2021. Thought it might be a "one and done" but now am planning a second safari. Whether or not that will be followed by additional safaris in the out-years remains to be seen, but I do intend to get back on the schedule of taking an extended hunt somewhere every two years until my time, body, or bank account runs dry.

I’ve been to Africa 4 times. Namibia in 2009. Zambia in 2014. Namibia again in 2018. Zimbabwe in 2021. Tickets bought and a deposit made on a SA trip in June.

If I had the time and money, I’d go twice a year for six months at a time!

So, guys
experienced and seasoned safari hunters.

In theory I could go once per year on a plains game safari, but I have a bit problematic schedule at work.
So, in 5 years, I have been (only) 3 times on safari.

What is your estimated safari frequency?

More then once per year?
Once per year?
Once every second year?
Once every 5 years?
Once in a lifetime?

How often can you manage taking the trip, plains game or dangerous game, irrelevant?

I find that it is limited by mindset (personality type) more than cost. Thus, it depends.

I have a job where i can take very little vacation, but I work too hard for my money to piss it away paying retail. So I go often, sometimes twice a year. But I do it thrifty, in that I am the first hunter in the country around March-April where they are very hungry for business, and I get a break. I'm also the hunter that goes on safari in October, hoping I beat the rains. The last guy in is the last drop of income the operators will get for six months and they may have excess quota, so I will jump on last minute opportunities with the operators I trust.

On the other hand, is the planner. I find these people very common (aka normal/typical) but I chuckle at the plans, "I'm going to do a safari three years from next Thursday to X concession for Y quota". Sure you are, buddy. You have no idea what the quota will be like. You have no idea if the country you plan to visit exists that far out. You have no idea if import will be banned by then. But they love planning so they plan away. What they don't know is that there is a super-premium to planning at great lengths, specifically because things change so much in Africa, the operator has to charge enough of a CYA premium that they can acquire quota at another place if push comes to shove, losing profits, and still making money nonetheless.

If I had to plan 3 years ahead I'd never get anything done and I'd pay through the nose for my safaris. I try to explain this to people and they seem that they'd rather pay the 2x to 2.5x premium to plan. I find this especially odd considering many (but not all) really don't have that high-pressure of a job with that little vacation at their disposal, but that's how they want to roll.

The more flexible and savvy you are, the more often you can hunt. The more inflexible and prescriptive you are, the fewer hunts you will actually do.

Capstick told me at a DSC convention, "If you really want to go, you'll find a way." I did. Should never stop trying to find a way, because you never know if: A. Africa will become too screwed up to go, B. If your bell rings before you go again/go the first time. The last thing I want to do is try to wait till I'm retired to "do it all" because if I had $200 for every time I've seen people die right after retirement and not get to do the things they dreamed, then I would have enough money for a plains game hunt!

The poster also appears from his comment of "fellow US residents to hunt on our federal land" that he feel as if he should be able to hunt any and all states for the resident fees even with the animals being managed by the states.

I couldn't find the post you're referencing so I can't read the mind of the poster. I think the point may have been that the Western States are robbing me/us. A WY or MT native has no moral right to hunt MY land with easier license draws nor lessor fees. If its FEDERAL land, it's my land, I pay the bill for it, probably a much larger portion of the bill than the local resident. I can't speak to State managed lands because that's the business of the resident, not mine. But the model for Federal lands is immoral and unjust, where 330million people pay the tax bill to manage that game but a tiny minority are given preferential access to those Federal resources by the sheer coincidence they are a resident of a State that surrounds that land.

Everyone knows this is immoral, its just that the Western residents like the theft that works for their benefit, thus they fight tooth and nail to prevent a change.

Priorities in life dictate safaris. Family, kids, work and mostly finances. Seamed easier when I worked. Then divorce, kids grew up and retirement in 2017. First 4 were all wild, huge areas, Zim and Namibia, then bug bit in 2018, then another bug hit in 2019 that delayed SA until 2021.

My hunts seam further apart than most posts on here. Normal was every 5-8 years, spent time and money on NA game and fishing many places. Now even 2 years since last safari I am aching to return, I long for Zim and wild again. Time to rethink leaving the kids any inheritance, living and returning to Africa.

Envy those who have the ability for multiple trips yearly. Seams @Philip Glass has it about perfect. Well done.

MB
Just my two cents…I spent a fortune sending my kids to private schools then through college and I am proud all 5 have successful careers…leave them inheritance? Not a chance!!! My money is now on Africa and wherever MRS Rarebreed wants to go each year

2015 Australia (Water Buffalo)
2018 SA (Cape Buffalo/PG)
2019 SA Kalahari (Lioness, Cape Buffalo, PG)
2022 Zimbabwe (Tuskless Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Bushbuck, Baboon, Heyena)
2023 (HOPEFULLY Bull Elephant, Tuskless Elephant, Cape Buffalo)

As finances allow, I will go as often as possible from here on out. Yearly would be great, but every other year would be OK if that's the best I can do. I always plan to hunt DG on every trip, so it's definitely more costly doing it that way.

Just my two cents…I spent a fortune sending my kids to private schools then through college and I am proud all 5 have successful careers…leave them inheritance? Not a chance!!! My money is now on Africa and wherever MRS Rarebreed wants to go each year
I am swinging the same way. Mine have done all the schooling they wanted and now have their own successful lives. I think their golden egg will turn to more mounts in a room. I am only 57, maybe when I am 77?? I will ask for them to take me on safari??

Zim is calling.

MB

2015 Australia (Water Buffalo)
2018 SA (Cape Buffalo/PG)
2019 SA Kalahari (Lioness, Cape Buffalo, PG)
2022 Zimbabwe (Tuskless Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Bushbuck, Baboon, Heyena)
2023 (HOPEFULLY Bull Elephant, Tuskless Elephant, Cape Buffalo)

As finances allow, I will go as often as possible from here on out. Yearly would be great, but every other year would be OK if that's the best I can do. I always plan to hunt DG on every trip, so it's definitely more costly doing it that way.
Your lucky, some great hunts listed. I am same, never had a safari without a DG, at least one of the seven.

MB

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a non-resident whiner. I wanted to point out that big game opportunities for non-resident hunters in the US are becoming more limited and more expensive.

A non-resident has little to no opportunity for moose, goats, sheep in the lower 48.

I have been buying antelope preference points for 8 years for myself, my wife and son. 24 points at $30 or so. It adds up to several hundred dollars. The unit I chose to hunt requires a minimum of 8 points to draw with the special license. I chose this unit because it is mostly public (Federal) land. Some units require as many as 14 points. Units with lower point requirements typically have less public land.

I think residents should get first opportunity at licenses in their state, at a much lower price. I don't think non-residents such as myself have equal opportunity to licenses just because they hunt on Federal land. States need to regulate hunting in their own state. We don't want the Federal gov. doing it. A Federal judge shut down wolf hunting in MN and grizzly hunting in WY. That's wrong, states should have complete control over the wildlife in their state.

There are several changes coming to Wyoming in 2024, look up HB0200. Non-resident elk licenses will be $1,958 after buying the license and special permit fee. This is on top of any preference points purchased along the way. Antelope will be $874 for the special fee, plus whatever the license fee is. So it will be well over $1,200. Deer license costs are similar.

I predict Colorado is going to see a lot more pressure from non-resident hunters in 2024. In my home state of MN a non-resident can buy an antlered deer tag over the counter every year for $185.

I'm done talking about the increased costs and limited opportunities for non-residents in the US. That's not what this thread is about. I wanted to point out a trend that is making African big game hunting more and more attractive to US hunters who have typically hunted as non-residents in other states.
Court cases (Terk vs NM) have determined that nonresident hunting licenses can be as much as ten times the cost of a resident license.

It is a fallacy that Colorado only has over-the-counter elk licenses. A lot of elk units are draw for all seasons and weapons. In addition, all units everywhere are draw for muzzleloader, 1st rifle and 4th rifle elk licenses. As for deer and pronghorn, all units are draw and have been for years. Some units do allow for OTC archery pronghorn but not the better units.

The CPW is dependent on nonresident license revenue and nonresident elk licenses alone account for 70% of the CPW budget. The wacky new Wildlife Commissioners being appointed by Governor Polis are going to slowly screw up our hunting. Governor Polis is already pushing for new funding streams for the CPW so that hunters have less clout. We now have the lawyer from Wild Earth Guardians and the Center for Biological Diversity on the Wildlife Commission. The commissioners that are on the commission as agricultural producers are liberal hobby ranchers. It’s a disgrace.

I don’t like what WY is doing to nonresidents and this bias continues to spread against the nonresident hunter. In Colorado, we went from no limits AT ALL on nonresidents for elk, deer, pronghorn and bear to a 60/40 split, then 65/35 and now 80/20 for some areas. There is talk of 90/10. Sheep, goat and moose have been 90/10 for many, many years. While I believe residents should get a higher percentage than nonresidents, it is getting carried away. Keep in mind that we are all nonresidents somewhere! I have tried to convince lots of CO and WY residents to be careful what the wish for and to consider starting to hunt out-of-state themselves. Many of them are short-sighted about traveling to hunt and spoiled by having eight big game animals to hunt in CO. The problem is that for hunters from FL or IA or IL that do not have elk, we need to keep reasonable opportunities available for them and other nonresidents to hunt out West.

2021, 2022 and this summer 2023 for plains game, plus culls. I have nothing planned for 2024, except for Nilgai in Texas right now. Some job uncertainty, unfortunately. Looking forward to this year's hunt in SA this summer!

Exactly! I will probably leave my kids my real estate assets, but the cash? No way!

I prefer to spend my money and free time on adventures. I live in a modest home.
My first trip was at age 42 in 2018 with my son and father. Moose hunt in Canada in 2019. Covid bumped Africa #2 to the summer of 2021. I had a great hunt in England during Christmas in 2022. Now Africa #3 this June.
I scramble to take as many days off as I can for a hunt. 18 days and 28 days were my two Africa trips. This summer will be 20 days with my daughter, sister and the 18 yr old son of my close friend. It is a graduation present for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.