Safair issues out of Johannesburg!

Tango

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Czech Republic
Just returned home from a wonderful plains game hunt with Tootabi Hunting Safaris out of Port Elizabeth. Everything was easy and went according to plan regarding Covid; no one checked any paperwork or digital proof of vaccinations, however I do want to warn people about Safair regional airline. I flew into JNB on Delta no issues, cleared SAPS with Mr X's help, which was awesome as always and spent the night at Afton House. Back to the airport next morning for the flight to Port Elizabeth and Safair says they have no record in the system of my rifle - ammo reservation on my ticket. This is after I confirmed the firearms reservation part of my ticket with them at least 4 times prior to leaving on the hunt and showed them the supporting reservation paperwork. The people at Safair, including the desk mgr, were completely useless when trying to sort this out. They essentially said you're out of luck, we need advance notice of travel with a firearm so you can not fly today.......and by the way, there's no refund on your ticket. Fortunately, I was able to walk to the Airlink desk and book a ticket with rifle - ammo on the next flight to Port Elizabeth. Airlink couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Their flights went off on time and my rifle and ammo cases arrived without issue (no ammo inside your luggage for domestic flights so pack your ammo in a good case (Pelican 1200 was perfect). Maybe I was just unlucky, but I wouldn't go near Safair again for regional travel.

Just returned home from a wonderful plains game hunt with Tootabi Hunting Safaris out of Port Elizabeth. Everything was easy and went according to plan regarding Covid; no one checked any paperwork or digital proof of vaccinations, however I do want to warn people about Safair regional airline. I flew into JNB on Delta no issues, cleared SAPS with Mr X's help, which was awesome as always and spent the night at Afton House. Back to the airport next morning for the flight to Port Elizabeth and Safair says they have no record in the system of my rifle - ammo reservation on my ticket. This is after I confirmed the firearms reservation part of my ticket with them at least 4 times prior to leaving on the hunt and showed them the supporting reservation paperwork. The people at Safair, including the desk mgr, were completely useless when trying to sort this out. They essentially said you're out of luck, we need advance notice of travel with a firearm so you can not fly today.......and by the way, there's no refund on your ticket. Fortunately, I was able to walk to the Airlink desk and book a ticket with rifle - ammo on the next flight to Port Elizabeth. Airlink couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Their flights went off on time and my rifle and ammo cases arrived without issue (no ammo inside your luggage for domestic flights so pack your ammo in a good case (Pelican 1200 was perfect). Maybe I was just unlucky, but I wouldn't go near Safair again for regional travel.
Sorry for your troubles.

WOW! Glad it worked out for you!

My PH informed me that the only airline that flew into East London with firearms was Air Link, and that is who I made my reservations.

Glad everything worked out for you.

My experience is that

When on an adventure, the adventure is never on the adventure - it is with the jobworths between home and the adventure

that is never truer than crossing borders in Africa

every official has his hand out for a bung and only offers incompetence in return

‘‘tis the African way”

Personally, I have always found Safair's customer services to be better than Airlink. Sorry for your troubles.

Personally, I have always found Safair's customer services to be better than Airlink. Sorry for your troubles.
I've traveled the world for work for 25 yrs and would say the Safair "customer service" ranks at the absolute bottom. Mine is a sample of one, but that's enough for me. The lack of refund was what really got me.

AirLink is the go to for me. I would call AMEX or what ever card used to book Safair and cancel charge.

AirLink is the go to for me. I would call AMEX or what ever card used to book Safair and cancel charge.
Yes, I'm working on that now. It was booked and paid a long time ago, so that seems to be a bit of a hang-up, but I'm pushing on that. Just sent my receipts from Safair and the AirLink ticket I had to purchase last minute so we'll see what they say.

Yes, I'm working on that now. It was booked and paid a long time ago, so that seems to be a bit of a hang-up, but I'm pushing on that. Just sent my receipts from Safair and the AirLink ticket I had to purchase last minute so we'll see what they say.
I use Amex for all travel. Use them if possible and they will refund no matter how long ago the incident.

Thanks very much for the tip! This is the first time I've had ever had trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawrencenewman

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.