Ruger RSM 458 Lott - red dot mounting options

MRodrigues1991

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Everyone,

Could use your help here as I am struggling to find info through searches.

I am looking to mount a red dot on my 458 Lott. It is a new realm for me as I have never utilized or shot a red dot before. Looking to mount a Leupold deltapoint on my ruger RSM but am struggling to find any mounting options for these.
I may just not be searching correctly so I would appreciate any guidance on what you guys and gals have done and any expeienfe you may have.

Appreciate the help!

Mike

Here is one for a Burris Fast Fire:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-mount-fastfire.html

This photo shows the underside/mounting surface:
1671740159878.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 12.31.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 12.31.19 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 119
Or, you could have the quarter rib milled for quick release mounts such as used on double rifles.

I use that mount to fit a Burris Fastfire3 on a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. It's held up to several hundred full loads and quite a lot more of mid-range loads. While 458 Lott is more powerful than 454 Casull, the weight difference of the revolver vs rifle means the recoil on the revolver is quiet snappy.

Yes, the Burris and the Leupold have different 'footprints'. Burris has the same footprint as European sights such as Doctor (the Kahles Helia RD has a version which will fit this footprint). Leupold shares footprints with JPoint, Shield etc. Damn shame that when Red Dots were being developed, they didn't standardise mount layouts.

Assuming this only fits Burris red dots ? Also I have read that people aren’t too confident of this holding up to higher recoils like the Lott
Of course the Burris has a different footprint than the Leopold. I only took the time to show this to help you. If a mount for a Burris is available, you can search for a similar Leopold mount.

Also I have read that people aren’t too confident of this holding up to higher recoils like the Lott
I run Trijicon RMRs on my doubles. At less than 3 ounces for RMR and mount, a mount similar to what I posted for you will survive the recoil of a Lott a heck of a lot longer that a pound and 3 ounce scope and rings recoiling against two contact points!

Also, the mount I posted has a recoil lug in the of its underside. It looks to be properly designed!

Further, I have shot my 10 1/4 lb Heym 458 Win over 500 times with a Trijicon SRO RMR. Like an old Timex, it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

Below are photos of a rib milled for a quick release RMR mount. In this configuration, the rear sight serves as the recoil lug for the RMR.

Attachments

• IMG_20221222_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_20221222_Reduced.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20221222_152457723_HDR_2.jpg
    IMG_20221222_152457723_HDR_2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20221222_152508969_HDR_3.jpg
    IMG_20221222_152508969_HDR_3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Personally I would look at an RMR, it is the one all are judged against.
I have an RMR and have been looking for a mount to my RSM for ages but there does not seem to be any available.
getting pretty desperate now to find one that will fit the Ruger quarter rib and mounting point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 7.30.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 7.30.20 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 116
The Burris Fastfire sight have the same base/mount design "footprint" as the European standard Docter reflex sight and so Burris mounts can be used interchangeably with the Docter sights. A nice option of those who don't know.

alrighty guys, time to dig into the vast reserves of brain power on this forum and see what you all think of this.

@Longwalker says the burris fastfire and doctor reflex sight are interchangeable with the mount
Like this one

Now, according to this, there is an adapter plate that allows the trijicon rmr to mount to a doctor mount, like this

does that mean if i purchased these two then i could mount the rmr to the ruger rsm?

What say all of you?

if so, then it solves my issue of getting the rmr fitted to my ruger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.43.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.43.58 AM.png
    965.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.09 AM.png
    734.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.18 AM.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 80
@PeteG as long as the interfaces to the Trijicon RMR and the FastFire mount are correct, that should provide you years of service.

A few decades ago, adapter plates were common for mounting different transmissions to car engines. They seemed to work just fine. With today's CNC machining, making an adapter should be relatively easy.

@PeteG as long as the interfaces to the Trijicon RMR and the FastFire mount are correct, that should provide you years of service.

A few decades ago, adapter plates were common for mounting different transmissions to car engines. They seemed to work just fine. With today's CNC machining, making an adapter should be relatively easy.
Mark, the RMR and Fastfire have a different footprint.
But that adaptor plate should cater to the difference from what i see on the pics.
Wondering if anyone on here has tried this or seen them first hand to advise.
Cheers

Mark, the RMR and Fastfire have a different footprint.
No kidding! If the two items did not have different interfaces an adapter plate would not be necessary.
@PeteG , I was trying to help you.

alrighty guys, time to dig into the vast reserves of brain power on this forum and see what you all think of this.

@Longwalker says the burris fastfire and doctor reflex sight are interchangeable with the mount
Like this one

Now, according to this, there is an adapter plate that allows the trijicon rmr to mount to a doctor mount, like this

does that mean if i purchased these two then i could mount the rmr to the ruger rsm?

What say all of you?

if so, then it solves my issue of getting the rmr fitted to my ruger.
This looks like a very interesting solution. Curious how high the red dot would sit with the mount and adapter.

No kidding! If the two items did not have different interfaces an adapter plate would not be necessary.
@PeteG , I was trying to help you.
no need to get you panties in a twist.
i appreciate the help and am trying to get some clarity on this. Thats all.

as i noted, i am hoping someone can comment who has used it that can confirm this before i purchase them so that i can order the parts and ship them half way across the world to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.44.59 AM.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.45.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.45.02 AM.png
    265 KB · Views: 73
May I suggest you contact Optics Trade in Slovenia. They have been very good at advising me on what products in their extensive inventory will be the best fit for a particular application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross