Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

Taxation is theft.
Until you need your highways fixed or a fighter jet to keep your home safe. But yeah, I suppose a Rigby made 375 could be very effective knocking down Iranian drone missiles. Pfft. Lock and load ... and make sure your life insurance is paid up. :D

The wasteful spending of Taxes is Criminal, theft ...

b.s non-profit organizations, bologna programs, etc. I know people who stand against almost everything big Govt. but they're the 1st to get on the dole. College Grants, child tax credits, state aid, fraudulent Medicaid/Disability.

Last edited:
@SaintPanzer @PCC600. Thank you. Always intrigued by the water's & Vessel's in part due to a fear of it. What I do have a problem with, is Helly Hansen. Some workwear has served well for sub-zero conditions, but their rainwear .. seems far from water resistent. ?

View attachment 592793
Not an HH fan. They've always seemed to me to be more fashion than function, although their very expensive stuff does get good reviews. I've had success with Musto.

Helly Hansen used to make good gear, the stuff I've seen lately doesn't impress. I've had a set of Grundens for 35 years, but some newer stuff of theirs didn't send me either.

Well, money. Here's $10K in one's vs. $100's. (not mine) intraweb photo.

1710611148953.png

I decided I wanted to get a “one watch” some time ago. I have to admit that I put my name down for the Submariner with a dealer last week but didn’t feel great about it.

I really like the look and feel of the older pre ceramic models but getting one second hand is something of a mine field I feel. Prices are all over the map as is condition. Too many people are treating Rolex base models like an investment and not what it is, a tool watch.

Needless to say I’m very envious of the many of you how got yours years ago. I like the new Submariner and really like on the old Sea Dwellers but will probably end up going Omega. Great if not better piece of kit you can walk out of a shop with, and the cost difference is a plains game hunt.

IMG_8928.jpeg
IMG_8947.jpeg

I'm now down to wearing "whatever's clean" .. anymore.

Not sure why you think Rolex service sucks. When I was living in greater DFW, I took mine in for service. As I was a “walk-in” they gave me a loaner Tudor while mine was being serviced. The last time I was a walk-in but not living in DFW anymore no more loaners. They did have lots of Lindt miniatures. And I had more than my fair share. You can’t go wrong with Lindt or Neuhaus chocolates.

Just to set the record straight (as a Belgian very important) please do not put Lindt and Neuhaus on the same level. That’s like comparing a Volkswagen to a Porsche. Or in the spirit of this thread, a Timex to a IWC watch.

Apologies for the detour, but this is important.

@VertigoBE - Would you agree with this list?
https://www.santabarbarachocolate.com/blog/the-top-13-belgian-chocolate-brands-/
So the list in the link is:
Leonidas, Godiva, Neuhaus, Bruyerre, Cote d'Or, Corne Port Royal, Wittamer, Pierre Marcolini, Belvas, Mary, Zabar.

I only know myself the underlined ones. So I will not speak to the others.

Côte d'Or is big volume chocolate found in most supermarkets, but of surprisingly good quality. Especially for chocolate bars. (they do not really have pralines). They are the main staple in every household. And if it is just a simple piece of chocolate you want, you cannot go wrong. They do not quite fit in the rest of the list, because most of the others are praliniers (make pralines out of chocolate) while Côte d'Or is mainly making chocolate tablets.

Leonidas is probably the entry level on Belgian chocolate pralines. Prevalent in all cities, not very high quality, but not bad. It's what tourists usually buy.
Godiva is marginally better than Leonidas I would say.

The top three in Belgian chocolate praline making are for me: Neuhaus, Wittamer and Pierre Marcolini. The first of these three is my own favourite. The original inventors of the praline, they still have wonderful chocolates, not too fancy but amazing quality. Some, who like a bit more specialty flavours will crown Pierre Marcolini to be the king. Wittamer is more in the style of Neuhaus, and I have a little less experience with, just because I always go for Neuhaus.

Last edited:
And just in order to bring the thread back to watches, I have a question for the resident experts.
As I'm trying to find a daily driver, I would like to find a watch that will be impervious to heat, cold, rain, water, dust, etc. I want to wear it and not have to worry about it. I already had a Hanowa Swiss military go bust in a Zim swimming session, so I do not want to repeat this.

I'm quite enamored by the IWC pilot watches, but looking at their different Mark XII , XVI XVIII etc. most of them only have a 5ATM water proof rating. The newest Mark XX has a 10ATM water proof rating but is also twice as expensive. Is a 5ATM rating enough to never have to think about water as a danger? If I wear it for a swim (not a dive), washing hands, rinsing the blood off under a stream of water, etc.

Or should I look more towards diving watches to get those capabilities? Like the Omega Seamaster that is growing on me.

So the list in the link is:
Leonidas, Godiva, Neuhaus, Bruyerre, Cote d'Or, Corne Port Royal, Wittamer, Pierre Marcolini, Belvas, Mary, Zabar.

I only know myself the underlined ones. So I will not speak to the others.

Côte d'Or is big volume chocolate found in most supermarkets, but of surprisingly good quality. Especially for chocolate bars. (they do not really have pralines). They are the main staple in every household. And if it is just a simple piece of chocolate you want, you cannot go wrong. They do not quite fit in the rest of the list, because most of the others are praliniers (make pralines out of chocolate) while Côte d'Or is mainly making chocolate tablets.

Leonidas is probably the entry level on Belgian chocolate pralines. Prevalent in all cities, not very high quality, but not bad. It's what tourists usually buy.
Godiva is marginally better than Leonidas I would say.

The top three in Belgian chocolate praline making are for me: Neuhaus, Wittamer and Pierre Marcolini. The first of this three is my own favourite. The original inventors of the praline, they still have wonderful chocolates, not too fancy but amazing quality. Some, who like a bit more specialty flavours will crown Pierre Marcolini to be the king. Wittamer is more in the style of Neuhaus, and I have a little less experience with, just because I always go for Neuhaus.
Excellent. Appreciate the information. Should be very useful for not only myself, but others on trips to Belgium.

And just in order to bring the thread back to watches, I have a question for the resident experts.
As I'm trying to find a daily driver, I would like to find a watch that will be impervious to heat, cold, rain, water, dust, etc. I want to wear it and not have to worry about it. I already had a Hanowa Swiss military go bust in a Zim swimming session, so I do not want to repeat this.

I'm quite enamored by the IWC pilot watches, but looking at their different Mark XII , XVI XVIII etc. most of them only have a 5ATM water proof rating. The newest Mark XX has a 10ATM water proof rating but is also twice as expensive. Is a 5ATM rating enough to never have to think about water as a danger? If I wear it for a swim (not a dive), washing hands, rinsing the blood off under a stream of water, etc.

Or should I look more towards diving watches to get those capabilities? Like the Omega Seamaster that is growing on me.
5 ATM is equivalent to 165 feet of water and 10 ATM is 330 feet. I would not expect you to encounter that kind of pressure with the activities you described. As long as your strap is not made of leather, you should be fine. Even then, my wife jumped into a pool with her Speedy & leather strap...wiped it off immediately and no problems since. Leather should also stand up to normal hand washing as well. However, I wouldn't recommend one to get dried blood all over it and expect it to come out perfect.

If you serious about a Seamaster let me know. ;)

5 ATM is equivalent to 165 feet of water and 10 ATM is 330 feet. I would not expect you to encounter that kind of pressure with the activities you described. As long as your strap is not made of leather, you should be fine. Even then, my wife jumped into a pool with her Speedy & leather strap...wiped it off immediately and no problems since. Leather should also stand up to normal hand washing as well. However, I wouldn't recommend one to get dried blood all over it and expect it to come out perfect.

If you serious about a Seamaster let me know. ;)
The reason I ask, is that many websites I read the following:
1710672328269.png

Your article information is correct. Many lower cost dive “inspired” watches are not tested and certified to a pressure standard.
Real dive watches are

To better explain what an ATM or an atmosphere is.

The weight of all the air exerted on your body at sea level is one atmosphere. Or one atmosphere is 14.7 psi

All the air from space to sea level is 14.7 pounds per square inch.

The equivalent weight under water is a column of freshwater of approximately 10.3 m (33.8 ft).

So it takes approximately 33 ft of fresh water to equal the weight of the atmosphere

Last edited:
Your article information is correct. Many lower cost dive “inspired” watches are not tested and certified to a pressure standard.
Real dive watches are

To better explain what an ATM or an atmosphere is.

The weight of all the air exerted on your body at sea level is one atmosphere. Or one atmosphere is 14.7 psi

All the air from space to sea level is 14.7 pounds per square inch.

The equivalent weight under water is a column of freshwater of approximately 10.3 m (33.8 ft).

So it takes approximately 33 ft of fresh water to equal the weight of the atmosphere
I wish the US would go metric then I'd have a better understanding of 5 ATM being 50 meters. It just makes so much sense.

I wish the US would go metric then I'd have a better understanding of 5 ATM being 50 meters. It just makes so much sense.
Technically we've been metric for 200 years... In fact, most industry is metric now or else we wouldn't have much international trade. But much isn't and consumers just aren't and don't understand the impact of being unique has on competitiveness.

So now let's talk watch bands for all those watches. RubberB are the Swiss standard in very very tough bands. I've used them on my GMT and Apple Watch for years without any issues. Expensive but worth it for security. You will want top quality pins to go along with them. Extremely comfortable.

Technically we've been metric for 200 years... In fact, most industry is metric now or else we wouldn't have much international trade. But much isn't and consumers just aren't and don't understand the impact of being unique has on competitiveness.

Interesting that you say that as I spent most of my career in oil and ag chemicals, both of which are still very much English units. In fact, much international trade is still in English units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeredithSt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.