Rimmed (only) Cartridges

.30-30, .30-40 Krag, (Browning 95) , .405 Win, .303 British, (wonderful LSA factory sporter), 9.3x74R, .348 Win., .45-70 Govt.,

8x57R--great balanced cartridge and fits my 3 combo guns!

Well, double rifle in 405W if people want it:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0005/lot-1be91fb3-39db-49cf-aee7-ab4900c2c178

I'm surprised that Henry and Bergara haven't gone for a bigger range of rimmed cartridges in their single shot rifles.

Prvi, S&B, Norma and I'm sure others make ammo for all these chamberings:

7.62x54r - want something that sits nicely between .308W and .30-'0? Here's your answer

7x65r - want something that shoots like a 270W? There you go!

7x57r - one of the all time classic chamberings

8x57r - want something that doesn't kick to much but really shoots ~200gr bullets well? (I have a canadian buddy that used to hunt a lot of black bear and he reckoned this is perhaps his favourite all time bear cartridge)

9.3x74r - Serious chambering this. Bears and other DG dealt with even if light for the really big stuff.

.22 Hornet - here's your varmint critter-gitter

Scrummy

PS - Who could forget .303 Brit!

Attachments

• Screenshot (384).png
    Screenshot (384).png
    216.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot (385).png
    Screenshot (385).png
    145.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I like the .375 Flanged Magnum since it, like its rimless brother seems to be quite an allround caliber.

The 8x57IRS since it is such a pleasure to shoot, almost no recoil and easy to stay on target for shot number two.

The 7x65R since it is such a great caliber for kipplauf rifles, loving it in my Merkel K5 Jagd.

And finally .22 Hornet since it does not damage the birds to much when hunting Black Capercaillie and Black Grouse with my Finnish Spitz using my Heym BBF26 Superluxus in this caliber and 20/76.

.30-30 in a Marlin 336 Texan (straight stock, 18.5" barrel) carbine.
.45-70 in a Marlin 1895 Standard Model.
.357 Magnum and .45 Colt each in Marlin 1894's.
Lastly, a T/C Encore carbine with a MGM barrel in .22 Hornet, so far shoots any factory ammo into small groups.

.303 British....has done it all and still do..
8x57JRS a very capable round for boar, moose etc.
9,3x74R the german classic for driven hunts, perfect for moose too..
450/400NE both 3" and 3 1/4 (and the .360 no2) did it before 1012 when .375H&H arrived..
.470NE has become the standard for DG... guess Ruark is much to blame here..
.475NE both the Straight and the no2´s are excellent but overshadowed by .470NE
.600NE because it will kill elephant at short ranges better than most (.500 Jeffery may be the exeption..)

Well, I’d like to expand on my answer.

1. Since my post above I have grown very fond of 9.3x74R. I shoot heavy bullets out of mine - 285grs and in my heavy DR the recoil is mild and the cartridge itself is vey effective on European game. Because the bullets are fairly stout, being essentially designed for big game, and move at a somewhat leisurely rate, they work well on smaller game too in that they kill quickly and at the same time are not too destructive. I eat all I hunt, except the foxes, and do not like needles meat loss. Shoot a 20-25kg Roe with 9.3 - an overkill to be sure, and the animal is dispatched instantly and excess meat not wasted. Shoot a large Boar or Red - same result. Great round indeed.

2. A year ago I had purchased a single shot 8x57JRS, a lovely rifle (K95). Since then I have done almost all of my hunting with it and so far it worked very well each time. I’ve shot light, monolithic 160grs projectiles out of it and experienced quick kills with just one exception, a Roe doe shot downhill, through the heart, still ran almost 100m despite the heart being smashed and literally thrown outside the chest cavity. Wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it.
I’m uneasy about the chambering though, and bought it only because I liked the rifle and the one in stock happened to be so chambered. Looking at the ballistic tables it is an unimpressive round but it worked well for me so far. However, my experience is limited - my local hunting grounds restrict me to short range shooting. Perhaps I’m overthinking it and should stop looking at the tables and just focus on hunting performance and empirical evidence instead.

I have just acquired another K95 with 5.6x50R Mag, 30R Blaser and 9.3x74R barrels. In a year or two I will most likely have to expand on the above answer.

Not hunting related but the rimmed 32S&W LWC makes a great target pistol round.

Well, I’d like to expand on my answer.

1. Since my post above I have grown very fond of 9.3x74R. I shoot heavy bullets out of mine - 285grs and in my heavy DR the recoil is mild and the cartridge itself is vey effective on European game. Because the bullets are fairly stout, being essentially designed for big game, and move at a somewhat leisurely rate, they work well on smaller game too in that they kill quickly and at the same time are not too destructive. I eat all I hunt, except the foxes, and do not like needles meat loss. Shoot a 20-25kg Roe with 9.3 - an overkill to be sure, and the animal is dispatched instantly and excess meat not wasted. Shoot a large Boar or Red - same result. Great round indeed.

2. A year ago I had purchased a single shot 8x57JRS, a lovely rifle (K95). Since then I have done almost all of my hunting with it and so far it worked very well each time. I’ve shot light, monolithic 160grs projectiles out of it and experienced quick kills with just one exception, a Roe doe shot downhill, through the heart, still ran almost 100m despite the heart being smashed and literally thrown outside the chest cavity. Wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it.
I’m uneasy about the chambering though, and bought it only because I liked the rifle and the one in stock happened to be so chambered. Looking at the ballistic tables it is an unimpressive round but it worked well for me so far. However, my experience is limited - my local hunting grounds restrict me to short range shooting. Perhaps I’m overthinking it and should stop looking at the tables and just focus on hunting performance and empirical evidence instead.

I have just acquired another K95 with 5.6x50R Mag, 30R Blaser and 9.3x74R barrels. In a year or two I will most likely have to expand on the above answer.

Not hunting related but the rimmed 32S&W LWC makes a great target pistol round.

rimmed cartridge rifles I currently shoot and hunt with
.45-70
.450-400 3"
9.3x74R
7x57R
.22 hornet.
interestingly, that cartridge line up could work for me to hunt anything, anywhere.
I have also used rifles in 8x57IRS, 8x57IR, .303 British, .30-30 win, .44 magnum, .357 magnum, and all the rimfires.

I aspire to one day own a nice German kipplauf in 7x65R
Since this was written a while ago, I have rid myself of the 45-70, and added a .30R Blaser in a nice trim Krieghoff single shot. So now I have:

Dangerous game: Merkel SxS double rifle .450-400 3"
"Bear "repellent" bush camp gun: Rossi Stainless 16" barrel M92, .44 Magnum
Large game / Driven game: Beretta O/U double 9.3x74R
Stalking / Mountain & Plains game: Krieghoff Single shot .30R Blaser
Versatile for nearly all local game: Krieghoff Drilling 16x16/7x57R
And a wonderful Varmint / Small game rifle Anschutz full stock bolt action carbine .22 Hornet

I have other rifles, but don't actually need anything else. I like rimmed cartridges.

Currently I regularly shoot a .17 HMR and a .22 Hornet. The .17 is a woodchuck (ground hog) smasher out to 100 yards. The .22 Hornet lays them flat out out past 150 yards. Both are excellent medium range critter controllers!

7x57R in Dreiling and Merkel K1.

9.3x74R in Merkel 141 double and a Ruger #1S.

Those two are my favorite centerfire rifle rimmed cartridges.

Safe shooting!

I always was rather "old military calibers bolt action rifles" guy. But being a newby to hunting I followed the advice and got local Brno Combo O/U in 12ga/9.3x74R .... and must say that it is just growing on me, more and more every day :) .... both the rifle and the caliber.
Shoot a 20-25kg Roe with 9.3 - an overkill to be sure, and the animal is dispatched instantly and excess meat not wasted. Shoot a large Boar or Red - same result. Great round indeed.
Acknowledging this an overkill, I must confess to two over-overkills:
1. management hunted roe deer yearling, no more than 15 kgs - idiotic hit through both shoulders ( roe deer standing in a long grass), yet I believe meat loss was not that bad (at the end) - will add photos so You can tell how bad is it.
2. young fox - bad hit on moving animal, too low and back which practically gutted the poor animal (yet dropped on the spot and fortunately dead in a few seconds)

It almost seems like it works no matter what and where it hits without excessive damage.

So far I am really impressed by the old rimmed 9.3 and when choosing what rifle to take when going out .... Most of the time I end up with Combo :D

20220531_164815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois