Rigby's Big Game vs Heym Express

Which one would you take, Rigby or Heym?

• Total voters
No doubt in my mind. The Rigby. Some ears ago I had a deadly wounded bear on top of my shoes and because of the optical wonder on top of my rifle I was not able to fire a finisher. No scratch on me and I`m still here in one piece but I promised myself then and there that I would NEVER EVER hunt DG again with optics. Stricktly open iron sights here. So I´m very particular about what I`m using. I`ve handed both rifles. The Heym I was handling had traditional Express sights (I guess you could have it delivered with a quarter rib?) The express sight is a good option but a quarter rib is definitely better. The best quarter rib is in my mind Rigby`s.

Scope fog or too close?

This is just my opinion.
I have handled a couple of the Rigby's and they left me underwhelmed for the price. Both were to heavy, a 375 and a 30-06. The stalking rifle should weigh no more than 8lbs tops when bare, preferably closer to 7. They were smooth but I have used new rifles that were noticeable smoother. The balance was OK and the stock to garish and shinny. Think I would prefer a Rigby from the 30's. Don't get me wrong both the Rigby's were nice rifles but not for the price.

I have not handled the Heym but the stock looks better and I love their magazine design. To me all DG rifle should have magazines like that. Stop the nose of the bullets battering the front of the magazine.

If I was buying I would be handling both - stock wise I could always have the Rigby shaved down- and I would be looking for reports on the reliability of both. This last point would be my decider.

Although the gun has not been decided yet, I already acquired the scope. Merry Xmas to myself!
Swarovski Z8i.JPG

Other options were Zeiss V8, Leica Magnus, S&B PM II, but Swarovski Z8 won. It has the best optical quality together with 1-8 magnification. Also Swarovski's new ballistic turret design is great and simple. And for sure I will use quick detach scope mounts.

Scope fog or too close?
Sorry for late reply. Been way up in the mountains.. No net, no phone and the only stress factor is the good `ol ball`n chain and occasionally the kidz :)

Too close! I had just jumped out of the canoe and walked about 100 yards into the forest when I became aware of a bear running in the same direction I was walking about 100 yards to my left. This was the last hunting day, last chance and I thought I`ll give it all. I sprinted after it. After some 200 yds. or so I came to a wide clearing in the forest and stopped to see if I could still see the bear, and yes I did. It had turned and came flat out towards me zigzagging between smaller trees out in the clearing. I shot at first opportunity when it cleared the last tree at about 15 yards or less and the bear rolled to within about 4 yds. from me and started roaring, rolling around, tearing up the undergrowth in an insane speed and getting closer by the second. I was not able to get a clear picture thru the scope. It was all just a blur of colours, hair, sun glare and god knows what else. Then it calmed down, death roared and died just a few feet in front of me.
Then I shot 2 shots in the air to alert the rest of the hunting party and the guide that he could bring he's skinning knifes instead of toilet paper...(the dinner the night before was not good, something we all was aware of.. haha ).

Anyways, since then all my workhorse rifles have open sights as primary sights, quarter ribs and stocks built thereafter.
DG doesn't have to be Lion, Elephant or Buffalo either. Some of the antelopes can be dangerous when cornered and even moose... 3 of my moosehunting partners have been run down by moose (one quite badly beaten) because our wonderful breed of Norwegian grey moose dog finds it safest run between the legs of the hunter when cased by a wild crazy angry moose :D ...or when chased runs straight to the hunter saying..."hey,,look what I brought you"...you definitely don`t want to be fogged up then...

Very nice answers to the tread. One thing I might add though is maybe second hand value.. If you for some weird reason have to part with the rifle my guess is that the Rigby will be an easier sell and maybe have higher second hand value. Not that I ever have seen a Heym Expr on the market, and don`t expect to ever see one. But its like comparing top of the line BMW to an Aston Martin. A Rigby is a Rigby no matter if its one year old or a hundered. Aston Martin have always only made top of the line cars just as Rigby has been making top of the line guns.

One more thing. In a heavy calibre rifle you definitely would want a good grip on the fore end. Its absolutely a question of personal preference but my vote go to the Rigby here also.

Accidental Villian. That is the very reason I believe any scope on a DG rifle should start at 1 power. ie 1-4X24 etc With my aged eyes I can no longer see the front sight clearly so the scope is a must for me. My 416 wears an Aimpoint and I have Trijacon 1.24-4X24 as back up.

Today, I made my decision.....

4161.jpg
4162.jpg

4163.jpg
The "non nonsens edition" of the Heym Express .416 Rigby, used, ....but affordable...

HWL

Heym every day of the week.

A Heym is a F350 or Landcruiser 79. A Rigby is a Range Rover.

The also look like they were made to go off road, but then you see that 99% of it was made impress people who hold out their pinkie when they drink coffee and never drink beer out of a bottle.

Heym was made to keep you alive.

Have you ever held a Rigby in your hands or used one?

The pinkie holders out only drink tea not coffee.......

Yes to both counts, and I drink tea out of a glass with ice in it and no sugar.

The older Heym's are more clunky. The Rigby is a nice rifle, but at a 40% buyers premium I'd prefer the Heym. That and I think the Heym is a lot better rifle mechanically.

The Rigby is beautiful, but not my cup of tea at base of about $13000 USD

http://www.smithson-gunmaker.com/ This is what I would choose if money were no problem.

Or maybe Duane Wiebe or Ralph Martini at $25,000.

This would fit the bill if I was backing up clients. http://hallowellco.com/heym____express_magnum_458 Lott.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.27.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.27.57 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.27.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.27.59 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.27 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.29 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.30 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.31 AM.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.32 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.35 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.29.43 AM.png
    594.4 KB · Views: 83
We also have Stuart Satterlee, who is a master in 98 Mauser manifacturing.

The also look like they were made to go off road, but then you see that 99% of it was made impress people who hold out their pinkie when they drink coffee and never drink beer out of a bottle.

Heym was made to keep you alive.
Ae you being deliberately argumentative are merely demonstrating ignorance? Do please expand on the different "mechanics" between a Heym and the Rigby (I'll grant you the magazine - not that it matters in these calibers). But I am particularly interested in the 99% of the Rigby that was designed to impress people and the 1% that wasn't. Or was it 60/40%. Your percentages between posts are confusing me.

I will certainly agree that the Heym would be a fine choice for anyone. And yes, the Rigby brand does indeed carry a bit of a premium that a Heym has not achieved. I also agree we do indeed have several gunmakers in this country who still build some of the finest rifles in the world. I have a .404 by Craig Libhart and 7x57 by Al Lind that I gladly would put up with respect to quality against either the Heym or the Rigby Big Game. But none of that alters the fact that Rigby makes a pretty fine rifle.

I should probably add when I head out the door for Africa these days, it is with a R8.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Red Leg. Rigby makes a fine rifle intended to be hunted. I am amused by folks who, comparing two fine rifles, in this case Heym and Rigby, feel the need to denigrate one and praise the other. It is very much like US politics these days. Can’t you just accept the fact that they are both fine rifles and the gentleman in question couldn’t have gone wrong with either one?

Totally agree with Red Leg. Rigby makes a fine rifle intended to be hunted. I am amused by folks who, comparing two fine rifles, in this case Heym and Rigby, feel the need to denigrate one and praise the other. It is very much like US politics these days. Can’t you just accept the fact that they are both fine rifles and the gentleman in question couldn’t have gone wrong with either one?
If you are buying, I'll take either one!

Ae you being deliberately argumentative are merely demonstrating ignorance? Do please expand on the different "mechanics" between a Heym and the Rigby (I'll grant you the magazine - not that it matters in these calibers). But I am particularly interested in the 99% of the Rigby that was designed to impress people and the 1% that wasn't. Or was it 60/40%. Your percentages between posts are confusing me.

I will certainly agree that the Heym would be a fine choice for anyone. And yes, the Rigby brand does indeed carry a bit of a premium that a Heym has not achieved. I also agree we do indeed have several gunmakers in this country who still build some of the finest rifles in the world. I have a .404 by Craig Libhart and 7x57 by Al Lind that I gladly would put up with respect to quality against either the Heym or the Rigby Big Game. But none of that alters the fact that Rigby makes a pretty fine rifle.

I should probably add when I head out the door for Africa these days, it is with a R8.

A new Express Heym is 8200 Euros from Heym Directly, so Heym USA will probably charge another $1800 to get it to the USA.

A new Mauser 98 is $11000 from Euro Optics

A new Rigby with grade 5 wood is $13000 from Euro Optics.

The magazine box on the Heym was built for the cartridge, it is guaranteed to feed.

Blaser makes no such claim about the Magnum 98 or the Rigby.

To me it is a non-event, but people are losing their shit over the 8th coming of Rigby like they are the original king.

To me the Heym is a better mouse trap and a better deal. Especially with the Ralph Martini stock, and the integral 1913 rails.

Simple math, why would I pay $4000 more to have a rifle that doesn't have the features I find to be important.

Why would anyone pay $13000 for a 98 just to have Rigby written on the side, when the stock might not even fit you.

A lot of custom American makers could build you a hand built 98 fitted to you for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois