RIGBY RISING BITE .500

PaulB

AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 17, 2021
Messages
296
Reaction score
1,827
Media
38
Hunting reports
Africa
2
This is my John Rigby & Co. No. 17445 — .500 Nitro Express Rising Bite

Completed on 28 April 1908, Rigby No. 17445 is a Best-quality .500 Nitro Express Rising Bite double rifle, built for H.H. the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior.

Rigby’s ledger records the rifle as a “Best top-lever, vertical-bolt, hammerless ejector,” the terminology referring to the celebrated Rigby Rising Bite action. The distinctive vertical locking bolt rises into engagement with the rib extension as the rifle is closed, providing an exceptionally strong third fastener in addition to the conventional under-bolting. It became one of the defining features of Rigby’s finest double rifles.

The rifle was built with 26-inch barrels and a weight of 11 lb. 10 oz. Its sighting arrangement consists of a standing rear sight with two folding leaves, recorded with Rigby’s No. 2 “V” configuration. The stock was finished at 14½ inches, while the ledger preserves the rifle’s original bend and cast-off measurements.

The records also identify the craftsmen involved in its construction. Shelley stocked and finished the rifle, while Rowland Hill filed its barrels. The action work is recorded simply as having been undertaken within the Rigby workshop.

Most compelling is its provenance. No. 17445 was built expressly for H.H. the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior, placing it firmly within the extraordinary tradition of Best London sporting rifles commissioned by India’s princely rulers during the age of shikar.

IMG_4976.jpeg
IMG_4979.jpeg
IMG_4982.jpeg
IMG_4934.jpeg
8E7E1571-FC92-4E71-8E10-C21B98FBD90A.png
 
I am speechless. Sometime I think I should have been born a hundred years ago (obviously as a nobleman ;-) and dedicated my life to hunting...
 
I am speechless. Sometime I think I should have been born a hundred years ago (obviously as a nobleman ;-) and dedicated my life to hunting...
I feel you, sir
 
That’s another Beauty…
Question out of curiosity
Are you simply a Collector?
What’s been your thought process on collecting some of the guns you have shared and what goals do you have? (I.e. I’m going to pass down certain guns in my family)
 
Incredible rifle there sir! Rigby Rising Bite is the best looking double rifle ever made. Congratulations and thank you for sharing some eye candy!
 
That’s another Beauty…
Question out of curiosity
Are you simply a Collector?
What’s been your thought process on collecting some of the guns you have shared and what goals do you have? (I.e. I’m going to pass down certain guns in my family)
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

I’ve always had a real love for British sporting firearms, particularly the great pre-war makers—Rigby, Westley Richards, Jeffery, Holland & Holland, and others. For me, collecting them is about much more than simply owning old guns. I really enjoy the history behind them: who originally ordered them, where they traveled, what they may have been used for, and the craftsmanship that went into building them.

Over time I’ve become especially interested in unusual or historically significant rifles—early examples, rare configurations and calibers, guns with interesting provenance, and rifles that represent an important period in a maker’s history. I probably enjoy researching their stories almost as much as I enjoy owning them.

Ultimately, I look at myself more as a temporary caretaker of these rifles than anything else. My hope is that many of them will eventually stay in my family and be appreciated by the next generation.

I’d love to hear more about your collection as well—what you collect, what originally got you interested, and some of the pieces that are particularly special to you.
 
Incredible rifle there sir! Rigby Rising Bite is the best looking double rifle ever made. Congratulations and thank you for sharing some eye candy!
Totally agree
 
A piece of history, well worth in gold.
After the colonial rule in India, and the hunting ban enacted in 1972 many of the British guns owned by the Indian royalty were brought back to Britain. I know WR was big in this regards, along with few individuals with deep pockets that imported the guns back to the US as well.

These then found their way to the secondary market, thereby increasing their value threefold.
 
That rifle certainly has a soul.
Congratulations on being it's next caretaker!
 
Very nice Paul!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,776
Members
169,618
Latest member
HaiB510725
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top