Rigby .416 sight in day

26109.jpg
 
Details please on the beautiful rifle! :love: (y)

What ammo is being used with that lower velocity of 2287 fps?
 
Last edited:
That is the John Rigby i bought. London made. Probably too ornate for me so I will probably sell but wanted to play with it. The H&H rings are more amazing than I realized. The rifle is a tack driver.

I bought Hornady DGX bonded for practice. The standard deviation is WIDE. Box says 2415 but we aren't close to that out of my rifle.
 
That is a beautiful rifle . It looks like a the Rigby’s made when Paul Robert’s owned the company . I’m a big fan of H&H quick detachable scopes . A very expensive extra in Rigby rifles . What length is the barrel ? Yours looks to have shortish barrels - not uncommon on Roberts era Rigbys but it could be the photo angle . The barrel length might explain bullet velocities . I doubt many Rigby rifles got above 2350 fps with factory loads .
 
Lovely rifle. Congrats! I love when rifle is a bit heavy.
 
I will also say, the gun is fairly heavy. It kicks just a bit more than my .300 win mag. I was shocked at that as the .416 remington I shot in a model 70 had much more kick than this.

Once you either load or buy some quality ammunition that will deliver your Hornady ammo's claim (on box) of 2400 fps, rather than it chronoraphed 2287, you will develop a healthy respect for how much a .416 Rigby can recoil! Yes, that final 100 fps is definately noticable!
 
Last edited:
Frosty…try some factory Barnes in that thing. They provide a very consistent 2450fps in my Rigby with the 24” barrel.

Pretty sure that rifle wears a 22” barrel. It’s one of the last to leave Paul Roberts shop before things went to California. Cool rifle and beautiful wood. I love, love the stepped barrel, which Rigby still had on their single square bridge PH guns until recently.

Rigby’s website is void of any single square bridge BGRs today. Likely a smart business move since I’m just not sure how many folks are wanting to drop $15k+ for a rifle they can’t scope without drilling through the Rigby markings on the front of the action or going to the expensive Holland mount/rings…but man did I love those stepped barrels.
 
Frosty…try some factory Barnes in that thing. They provide a very consistent 2450fps in my Rigby with the 24” barrel.

Pretty sure that rifle wears a 22” barrel. It’s one of the last to leave Paul Roberts shop before things went to California. Cool rifle and beautiful wood. I love, love the stepped barrel, which Rigby still had on their single square bridge PH guns until recently.

Rigby’s website is void of any single square bridge BGRs today. Likely a smart business move since I’m just not sure how many folks are wanting to drop $15k+ for a rifle they can’t scope without drilling through the Rigby markings on the front of the action or going to the expensive Holland mount/rings…but man did I love those stepped barrels.
Just giving credit where credit is due, Will has been a wonderful friend I have met on this site. I wouldn't have 3 of the guns i shot today without him.

I have Barnes for that damn gun and somehow walked out of the house without them. BUT, regardless of velocity and variations, at 100 yards with that 4x scope, they patterning at 2inches with 12% variation in velo and the first 2 were 1moa. I'd love to take credit but that rifle is a TACK DRIVER.

The action is stupid smooth. The balance is the best of any rifle I own. Even with the cheap scope, it was nails.
If any of you get an opportunity to do business or just visit with Will, he is a gem of a human and I am sad he isn't down here in Texas. We would dent the whiskey, tequila and gin stores in the state i believe.
 
Just giving credit where credit is due, Will has been a wonderful friend I have met on this site. I wouldn't have 3 of the guns i shot today without him.

I have Barnes for that damn gun and somehow walked out of the house without them. BUT, regardless of velocity and variations, at 100 yards with that 4x scope, they patterning at 2inches with 12% variation in velo and the first 2 were 1moa. I'd love to take credit but that rifle is a TACK DRIVER.

The action is stupid smooth. The balance is the best of any rifle I own. Even with the cheap scope, it was nails.
If any of you get an opportunity to do business or just visit with Will, he is a gem of a human and I am sad he isn't down here in Texas. We would dent the whiskey, tequila and gin stores in the state i believe.
You lost me at tequila, but beautiful rifle. :-)
 
Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful rifle! I would love to publish a story of your experience with it in the field when you are ready!
 
Once you either load or buy some quality ammunition that will deliver your Hornady ammo's claim (on box) of 2400 fps, rather than it chronoraphed 2287, you will develop a healthy respect for how much a .416 Rigby can recoil! Yes, that final 100 fps is definately noticable!
Yes, indeed. The final 100 fps comes at a price. In my humble opinion, the extra velocity is also not worth the recoil price. No buffalo will notice the difference.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,851
Members
169,442
Latest member
ChangVardo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top