I decided to upgrade my bought new 1973 JR3 RCBS press that has worked faultlessly for decades as I was struggling to fit bigger belted magnum cases in it for my Ruger No1 collection. I shot 338WM, 300, 375 and 400H&H among others.
I looked around, mainly at RCBS, and others and decided on a Summit press. The YouTube videos I found, along with other sources all praused the Summit, so i paid $840AUD and so it arrived.
Summit presses depicted in video and stills showed the locking ring off the die sliding into a slot allowing the die to float and find its own centre, but unboxing mine revealed a change in design that reverted to the more common system of screwing the die in a threaded hole.
Fitting dies was a little problematic as the die sits between 2 steel connecting arms and limits how much grip you can get to turn the die, both with the handle fully up or down, but persistence will prevail.
The first 2 or 3 cases sized normally, the I struck one that was behind the door when lube was being applied, so it was a bit sticky!
It wen8t in OK, but needed quite a bit more effort to remove it, resulting in the handle failing at the beginning of the mounting thread, snapped clean off.
I was able to get the threaded stub out of the cast iron easily enough and did a bit of measuring, the handle shaft was near as dammit 20mm and thread was just on 10mm and the neck between the shaft and start of thread was 9mm!!
Barely enough!!
The steel seemed 2nd rate, it definitely wasn't a hard steel I'd use to make a knife. It was powder coated, so i used the touch test, held it to my lips and it felt warm compared to the handle of the JR3.
I got in touch with the retailer and they didn't have anything to offer in the way of a replacement, neither did the import agent, except for a complete replacement press which would only put me in the same place I had been previously, except I'd know the handle was a serious weak link.
I sent the broken handle to friend in Brisbane who is a brilliant Tool and die maker, trained by his Father, Peter Barnard, of Barnard Rifle fame.
He cut a new thread and created a shoulder on the shank to help distribute the load to the thread.
First time I tried it with the modification I felt it start to give and bend!!
So, I put it all back in the box and sent it to the importer and duly received a full refund.
I have since bought a second hand Rock Chucker 4 and haven't looked back!!
Had the handle been made of a suitable material, it would be a press to last a lifetime, but obviously it was designed by an accountant!!