AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Ducks Unlimited
Hello,

Somewhat unexpectedly, I was the high bidder on a Plains Game Hunt in Limpopo, SA at a recent SCI Banquet. It is a 1X1 hunt for 2 hunters, so I'm planning to take my son, who will be 16 when we go in June 2018. Just starting to do the research, but I am expecting that our primary animals will likely be kudu, impala, blesbok, warthog and possibly a zebra. I also now realize that I won't be taking my semi-auto 30-06 and my son's bolt action .243 is likely smaller than what we will want to take.

So, I'm now trying to determine what rifle combinations I should consider purchasing to take for my son and I to use on the trip. Cost is a consideration, since I'll be buying 2 of them. I am sort of zeroing in on a 30-06 as a first choice, but then trying to determine if a .308 or .300 Win Mag would be the best second choice (we will plan to practice with both, so we could potentially switch on any particular day, depending on what each of us was hunting).

With that said, this is all new to me, so I'm completely open to suggestions. As a side note, we are both also experienced whitetail deer hunters in Wisconsin, so these would likely be rifles we would use for years to come back in the states. Thanks!

Your son 243 will work and if he shots it well it is better then anything new he may not shot as well. My son has taken kudu,zebra and 5 or 6 others with a 25-06 ,257 mag. The Ph I use has his kids hunting with a 243 and they both took big zebras this year and both dropped with in 50 yds.

For you a 300 win mag with 180 grain bullet will do the trick. Plenty of choice and more then one that will get the job done. Good luck on your trip.

I can't speak from experience (yet!) but I'm taking my 300 win mag in September. I've heard of a couple people using .243 and I agree with Billc 100% that it's better to take what you son is comfortable with. How old is he? If you want something bigger than the .243 Could he maybe take your .30-06 and then you just get one new gun?

Welcome WIDuckHunter to the site with the most information and helpful people in one place from a fellow Wisconsin native (Prairie did Sac).
A few questions that may help to answer your question: are you sure it's a 1X1 hunt? Many of these auction hunts are 2X1 in which case you could bring just one rifle and share, as my Dad and I did on our first safari.
Another option is the outfitters usually have rifles you can rent while there (this is much cheaper than buying a new gun and bringing it to Africa).
What would you be using the new rifle(s) for after Africa? Don't get me wrong, I'm always looking for a reason that I NEEd another rifle, but you did mention cost was a consideration.
I will be taking my daughter in June for plains game. She will be bringing her Savage trophy Hunter in .30-06, I'll use my Tikka . 308. She had originally planned to use her . 7mm-08, and last time Dad and I shared my . 300 win mag.
Any caliber in these ranges that you guys shoot well with premium bullets will be fine.
Have fun on your preparations

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Somewhat unexpectedly, I was the high bidder on a Plains Game Hunt in Limpopo, SA at a recent SCI Banquet. It is a 1X1 hunt for 2 hunters, so I'm planning to take my son, who will be 16 when we go in June 2018. Just starting to do the research, but I am expecting that our primary animals will likely be kudu, impala, blesbok, warthog and possibly a zebra. I also now realize that I won't be taking my semi-auto 30-06 and my son's bolt action .243 is likely smaller than what we will want to take.

So, I'm now trying to determine what rifle combinations I should consider purchasing to take for my son and I to use on the trip. Cost is a consideration, since I'll be buying 2 of them. I am sort of zeroing in on a 30-06 as a first choice, but then trying to determine if a .308 or .300 Win Mag would be the best second choice (we will plan to practice with both, so we could potentially switch on any particular day, depending on what each of us was hunting).

With that said, this is all new to me, so I'm completely open to suggestions. As a side note, we are both also experienced whitetail deer hunters in Wisconsin, so these would likely be rifles we would use for years to come back in the states. Thanks!

Honestly I would suggest the 308 for your son.
Take the 300 for yourself especially for the bigger critters
Your son would probably start a flinch if using the 300 and he is more likely to shoot better w the 308 on all game rather than pulling shots because of the anticipation of the recoil in the bigger beast
The 30/06 would be the best compromise though
I personally would buy a 270 - but I'm biased

Thanks, guys, for all the helpful suggestions. I should probably clarify a couple of things. The .243 my son currently has is the Remington 770 Youth Model. It has the short, 20" barrel, and he's been using it since he was 10. He's now 15 and closing in on 6', so we were probably going to upgrade it anyhow (with him doing some cost splitting on the upgrade)! I'm not too worried about fear of recoil with him, as he's been shooting a 12 gauge and rifles for the better part of 6 years now, and we've got about a year to get practice in under our belts.

I can't take my current .30-06, as it's a semi-auto, so I won't be able to get that into SA.

The hunt we are doing is a 1X1 for 2 hunters, so we will each have our own PH (I always tell my son, I wish I was my kid).

In terms of cost, I've sort of now budgeted in that I will buy 2 new bolt actions, but want to make sure I get rifles that are practical and reliable for SA Plains Game, without going over the top on cost.

Thanks again for the helpful responses!

30-06 for one rifle like you are leaning towards, and then the 300 WM or even a 7mm Rem Mag for the second one.

Get a matching pair of 30-06 rifles, father and son rifles. You can hunt the world with a 30-06.

You can't import two rifles of the same chambering into South Africa. Since his son is under 21, it'd be a super PITA for the son to try and fill out a SAPS 520 for one of the rifles (can be done, but a real hassle).

Easier to have Dad put both rifles on his permit.

I'd stick with the 243 for you're son. I can't imagine a PH saying no if he is proficient with the rifle. They will get him plenty close.I love my 0-6 it has worked great on 2 safaris. Heck every guy needs 2 so buy a new bolt 0-6 or any caliber you are comfortable shooting within reason. Have fun!!

Oh no - this means you have to go out and buy 2 new rifles

How about a slower one for the thicker bush and a faster one for when you need to stretch out a little - say a .308 and a 7mm mag?

I have a 30-06 which is all the gun / cartridge you'll need but it would be boring to get 2 of those...

The other option is to go heavier and classic for the one rifle (375 or 9.3 x 62) and lighter for the 2nd (280 Rem or 7x64) - so many good choices available!

WIDuckHunter: Welcome!

Lots of good advice given so far. As mentioned, you don't want to import 2 of the same caliber rifles to RSA. Also, when a parent is traveling with a minor child, you need some extra paperwork to get into and out of RSA.

Now, back to the gun issue. Consider renting a gun or two from the PH. Ask him about that now and then factor that into the buy or rent option. Your PH might even have a rifle or two with suppressors (gaining popularity) and this makes it more pleasant to shoot, both from a recoil and report standpoint.

If you do opt to buy a couple of rifles and bring them, considering a step up from your sons 243. Either a 270, 7mm-08, 7x57 or 308.

Since you already have a 30-06, consider a 300 win mag (very popular in Africa PG hunting), 7mm mag or my favorite, a 338 win mag. If you think you might even hunt elk, moose or bear back home, the 338 will do the job.

Along with buying rifles, you'll want to put scopes on them. Most African PG is shot in the 100 yard range, so you don't need mega power scopes. A 2-7 or a 3-9 power is about right.

Practice shooting off of sticks before your hunt. Get some sort of tripod like a BogPod or similar. Learn about quickly adjusting the height and how your stance should be. The nice thing about shooting off of sticks is the felt recoil is a lot less than shooting from a bench. I started my daughter off by shooting bolt action 223, then 270 and finally 300 win mag off of the sticks and she has made a lot of one shot kills on PG.

Finally, if you bring your rifles, you will need a good airline approved rifle case. There are many discussions on this site that can also help you with issue. Also, where the ammo has to carried and again RSA has some quirky rules about this.

All the best to you and your son.

Dave

Maybe a 7mm-08 for your Son it has plenty of power and is a light recoiler, for you a 300Win, or step up to a 375HH, chances are this won't be your last trip to Africa

WIDuckHunter: Welcome!

Lots of good advice given so far. As mentioned, you don't want to import 2 of the same caliber rifles to RSA. Also, when a parent is traveling with a minor child, you need some extra paperwork to get into and out of RSA.

Now, back to the gun issue. Consider renting a gun or two from the PH. Ask him about that now and then factor that into the buy or rent option. Your PH might even have a rifle or two with suppressors (gaining popularity) and this makes it more pleasant to shoot, both from a recoil and report standpoint.

If you do opt to buy a couple of rifles and bring them, considering a step up from your sons 243. Either a 270, 7mm-08, 7x57 or 308.

Since you already have a 30-06, consider a 300 win mag (very popular in Africa PG hunting), 7mm mag or my favorite, a 338 win mag. If you think you might even hunt elk, moose or bear back home, the 338 will do the job.

Along with buying rifles, you'll want to put scopes on them. Most African PG is shot in the 100 yard range, so you don't need mega power scopes. A 2-7 or a 3-9 power is about right.

Practice shooting off of sticks before your hunt. Get some sort of tripod like a BogPod or similar. Learn about quickly adjusting the height and how your stance should be. The nice thing about shooting off of sticks is the felt recoil is a lot less than shooting from a bench. I started my daughter off by shooting bolt action 223, then 270 and finally 300 win mag off of the sticks and she has made a lot of one shot kills on PG.

Finally, if you bring your rifles, you will need a good airline approved rifle case. There are many discussions on this site that can also help you with issue. Also, where the ammo has to carried and again RSA has some quirky rules about this.

All the best to you and your son.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I see you mention there is some extra paperwork involved for traveling with a minor in and out of SA. I had run across the fact that he likely couldn't import a rifle, and had planned on doing both on my permit. However, is there other paperwork he will need, beyond a passport, because he is a minor? Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

300 win mag would be my suggestion! The 243 your son has is fine if he shoots it well as others have suggested. My outfitters two children each took a zebra with a 243!

The extra paperwork with a child under 18 is you need a note from other parent that is notaries if your not both with him on the trip. plus I do think they ask for the org. birth cerf. to see it.

You can have both guns on your paperwork but not 2 the same caliber.

Last edited:
.300 is a great all around the world rifle! 30.06 also not a bad choice, i have both and love both

I took a 35 Whelen and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser to Africa last August. Both calibers will easily take the Whitetails you hunt in the States. There are lots of combinations that will work. Personally I would not suggest anything smaller than the 6.5 x 55 for your son. Other excellent choices for him would be a 7 x 57 followed by 7mm - 08, then a 308. All of which will serve him well for a lifetime. For you I'd suggest the 35 Whelen, followed by a 300 WM, or a 30 -06. Of course if you stumbled across a good deal on a 300 H&H or a 308 Norma Mag they would be great choices as well Whatever you decide on get lots of practice with them so that your respective confidence levels are very high. You will also be expected to use shooting sticks in Africa. Buy a pair or make some. Then soon after you are "one" with your respective guns start practicing with the shooting sticks. There are no benches in the African bush.

ok I am going to go a little different on you here. I say a 375HH for you and a 30-06 for your son. then you will have two of the most popular calibers anywhere in the world and all bases covered with the two guns. If some deal of a century pops up on a bigger critter like a buff or eland the 375 will be on it and will kill anything in Africa. 30-06 just a great caliber for a 6ft young man for the rest of his life. many bullet selections for both guns. I see no sense for you to have similar power guns. If the boy can take recoil I would put him in a 300 Winnie mag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross