Rifle names and titles

Reactions: WAB
Bliksem derives from the Dutch word for "lightning"...which would be appropriate for taking 7 animals with 7 shots. But we would still need conformation from @WAB of course.

It is not even derived from, it is exactly the same word in Dutch and Afrikaans

It is not even derived from, it is exactly the same word in Dutch and Afrikaans

It is my understanding that this is the Afrikaans word used for “F&$@“- at least that was my good friend and PH over in Namibia who is Afrikaans told me as he uses it quite regularly.

It is my understanding that this is the Afrikaans word used for “F&$@“- at least that was my good friend and PH over in Namibia who is Afrikaans told me as he uses it quite regularly.

It is a very useful word. It is also what you tell someone your going to do to them when a conversation goes pear shaped.

It is a very useful word. It is also what you tell someone your going to do to them when a conversation goes pear shaped.

He called bad drivers that we would pass on the road, Hartmann’s zebra that didn’t behave properly (as to not get a shot off lol) and overall cantankerous gents at the bar (we went bar hopping in Swakopmund, Walvis Bay and Windhoek)- “Blixsems”- to name a few instances… I liked the word so much it has become a staple in my English vocabulary where no one here in Missouri knows what the heck I’m saying!!

This is just one example of a night full of fun at a German watering hole in Swakop- now that was blixsem!!!
IMG_1541.JPG

A buddy and me exported a Mauser in .458Win. to friends in Bots...its so ugly that we named it...MUGABE..

it's both, it's literal meaning is lightning, but it is used as an expletive in SA. In old Dutch texts we also sometimes see this still. The Afrikaners just kept this old usage as an expletive alive. In BE/NL in Dutch, we do not longer use it as an expletive in common language.

Well i havent named these 2 yet , Camo stocked is a Ww1 17 made Gew 98 action ,later given to Poland. She weighs 7,3 pounds .458 Win .

I was thinking Walevska or Kopia ( Hussaria lance)

7x57 Brazillian Mauser i have ,not pictured is named Gisele,

IMG_20210721_142145.jpg

It is customary in our part of the world to name your rifle after it's first blood,
I need to name my rifle then.
What are the local tribal names for waterbuck, eland or steinbok? (Damara, himba, herero names for those animals?)

Nope! I just manned up :ROFLMAO:
Ouch I can just imagine the jokes if you do port the 450 at BASA.
It will be never ending.

If I had to name my rifles at the game they first shot it would be:

204 Ruger - Impala
6.5 x 55 - Eland Cow
375 H&H - Blue wildebeest
458 Lott - Red hartebeest
7 x 57 on its way waiting for licence.

I need to name my rifle then.
What are the local tribal names for waterbuck, eland or steinbok? (Damara, himba, herero names for those animals?)
it will have to be one of iur Namibian PH's to furnish those. Even in Zim there can be three different names according to area.

View attachment 481464

This rifle was named by an Afrikaans friend of mine after it took seven animals with seven shots. It’s a custom M 70 in 7x57. He named it Bliksem. Those who know Afrikaans will get it. The rifle was subsequently engraved by a friend who is one of the best in the English trade. He put the name on the floor plate. He also signed it if you can pick it out of the scrollwork.
@WAB … I know we’re talking rifles/name, Bliksem - cool back story but I just had to comment on all the quality characteristics in the Hartebeest pic! Magazine material … thx for sharing!

Last edited:
Well, I've got one. It's a Tikka CTR in 7mm-08.
Something versatile that I could use without fear of marking it.

I named it 'Ugly Betty" well used and performed perfectly. Well travelled and has taken a lot of pigs and foxes from the car, just light enough to carry hunting if I don't have another handy.

I have another Tikka CTR in .308 but blued. Sort thought of it as her twin brother Bob. That's been my target rifle for the club. Pretty casual stuff.

@WAB … I know we’re talking rifles/name, Bliksem - cool back story but I just had to comment on all the quality characteristics in the Hartebeest pic! Magazine material … thx for sharing!
You are talking about the Hartebeest and the rifle, right? Right??? :D

You are talking about the Hartebeest and the rifle, right? Right??? :D

Just so we’re clear, I do understand that I married well over my head. Not only that, but she has put up with my shenanigans for 39 years!

Years ago I had a big wave board - An 8 ft 3 inch pin tailed jobbie made by Nev in Aus

surfing buddies ( rather unkindly I thought) said that the name stood for “never been ridden”

(it, and I, came to grief on a good sized (5m swell) right hand point break in Morocco a few years back)

anyway - if I were to name any rifle it would be my Mauser 98 in 404 Jeff- I would call It NEV (as in - never been fired). On account of it having been made so poorly that it can’t be trusted to cycle properly and therefore not much cop for DG

I’ve even tried to give it away on here for free, however @Spartan5 (to whom it was gifted) informs me that it can’t be imported to the states as it is a converted military rifle

perhaps I’ll call it boomerang?

the R8 when wearing its new barrel in 404 Jef (still waiting) I have decided (in honour of this thread) to call “ Tiki “ as in 10 ngwee - after the old silver coin which had more (spending) power than its diminutive size would suggest (some on here might remember it)

Years ago I had a big wave board - An 8 ft 3 inch pin tailed jobbie made by Nev in Aus

surfing buddies ( rather unkindly I thought) said that the name stood for “never been ridden”

(it, and I, came to grief on a good sized (5m swell) right hand point break in Morocco a few years back)

anyway - if I were to name any rifle it would be my Mauser 98 in 404 Jeff- I would call It NEV (as in - never been fired). On account of it having been made so poorly that it can’t be trusted to cycle properly and therefore not much cop for DG

I’ve even tried to give it away on here for free, however @Spartan5 (to whom it was gifted) informs me that it can’t be imported to the states as it is a converted military rifle

perhaps I’ll call it boomerang?

the R8 when wearing its new barrel in 404 Jef (still waiting) I have decided (in honour of this thread) to call “ Tiki “ as in 10 ngwee - after the old silver coin which had more (spending) power than its diminutive size would suggest (some on here might remember it)
Yes I remember Tikis well, in the Southern Rhodesia days they were indeed made of silver and each year my mom boiled them and put them in the Christmas pudding. In our part of the world there were two coins below that, the penny and the ha'penny, and a shilling was a huge amount at twelve pennies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaBenit

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25