Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by AfricaHunting.com, Mar 30, 2010.

1. John338

John338 New Member

Really interesting article and for me as an African hunter wannabe it has really validated my decision to bite the bullet and sell a heap of my hunting rifles and gear to buy a Rigby double square bridge in .416 Rigby for my African dangerous game hunt. It is a buttery smooth action that I have been using on all our big game here in New Zealand prior to my trip in 2020. Gets a bit heavy in the Southern Alps chasing Himalayan Thar and Chamois but is going to be worth it in the heat of Africa!

2. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    No, that would be the combined number of cartridges fired for those who took the school the week before the test and for those who actually took the test based on 32 shooters. It actually turned out that none of the candidates who took the school took the test, strange. The actual number of candidates who took the test was 15. Based on the going cost of ammunition in Zimbabwe which is about $20.00 per round each candidate spent about $400.00 or a total of $6,000.00. I do not want to get into politics, but the reason the cost is so high is the Firearms embargo on Zimbabwe by the western world, which has little effect on the military and police since they procure their weapons and ammunition from the east! Here it is whatever you can procure. Practice ammunition .22 long rifle for my wife set me back $65.00 a box, box not brick (50 rds.).

Sorry if I created any confusion, I do not do well with a cell phone and e-mails!

3. Tokoloshe Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Some time ago I posted what the test consisted of it is a bit lengthy. I will try to post it again if I can find the correct format. Let me say this, it is meant to put the candidate under as much pressure as possible. It is shooting score divided by recorded time. A perfect score on shooting is very feasible, but the running time (as a boy I was taught not to run with a loaded rifle) plus the reloading time is just as much or more important, than all bulls. Ten points are deducted for using less than .40 calibre. My wife used her .375 H&H M-70 and took the test several times and would have passed it time (except for the one time where she broke her ankle) except for the ten point deduction! This time she used her .404J and passed! She shot her 75 meter target from the prone position! I believe a young very fast runner could pass the test with a double rifle and a perfect score. This would compensate for the two reloads instead of one reload on two of the five courses.

I designed a pouch (very simple) where the cartridges lay on a double folded piece of heavy leather like the letter M, horizontal pointing forward, one to five rounds can be quickly scooped up and loaded into the magazine, the scoop up of all five cartridges takes no longer than pulling one round out a belt, if one or more rounds are dropped then she goes to the belt loop for additional cartridges.

4. Tokoloshe Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Thank You, I will

5. Tokoloshe Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hi Pascal, at this point I am not sure. First the action was professionally glass bedded, the screws were properly torqued. I have quite a collection of new and used spare Mauser, CZ & M-70 parts at one point I went to a follower that was slightly longer than the one that was original to the rifle. The crazy part is hundreds of rounds were cycled through the action after that, up until two days before the test. The barrelled action has not been removed from the stock in several months. Here is what has happened, the wood blank came from a area with very low humidity, we live on the banks of the Zambezi very humid. Then we have had lots of rain recently. The rifle was in a soft gun case for the two day trip to Harare. Stowed in a hidden compartment, inside the vehicle for the trip. I believed this caused a very high humidity condition that led to the slightest bit of swelling of the wood, which put just enough pressure on the magazine box, little more than six months ago this stock was a wood blank!
    Somewhere I read how long it should take to make a rifle stock it seemed to me it was something like a year. This is due to the fact that the wood changes as it is worked. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me or us?
    At this point I am only half way home later this week I will disassemble the rifle and examine everything very closely.

6. Tokoloshe Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hi, Needless to say, we were a bit busy and stressed on Sunday and I am not much of a camera man. I will see what I can do to get a pro to film one or more candidates going through the complete course. This may be a bit difficult due to range safety rules, which only allow the timer and the candidate on the course during the test. Possibly I can make arrangements where the day before the test a video can be made where the timer and the candidate are on the course followed by a camera man (or woman got to be politically correct) and a second range master (gender neutral). Ha, Ha,. Seriously if done properly it could be turned into a very good training film.

Please do not hold your breath, Africa moves slow!

Cheers, Lon

7. Tokoloshe Safaris

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hi Hogpatrol,

At the moment most Zimbabwe PHs earn $150.00 a day, plus another $50.00 if they supply their own vehicle. Keep in mind the cost of a new Land cruiser is in excess of $60,000.00. You have to love what your doing and be a bit nuts!

As I posted elsewhere, probably I did not make it clear the 14k cost for ammo was based on 32 candidates taking the course. Actual cost of ammo per candidate was probably around $400.00 @ $20.00 per round!

Hogpatrol likes this.

8. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    I saw a bowed mag box on my brothers 416 rigby /CZ 550.We found it at the guides shooting exam 2 years ago. A friend of his had the same gun and we swopped parts until it we saw the sides of the box bowed in. My brother just bent it with his hands. The symptoms were that the second/third rounds came out with the ejection of the first. Interestingly, 2 years later, it is bowed again. We believe it is recoil that does it.

9. Von Gruff

Von Gruff GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    This problem certainly shows the wisdom of the early Jeffery approach where the mag well is thicker and there are no steel
    mag sides to bend.
    P1030828_zps232dcc3f.jpg

10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    How can the magazine "box" be impacted so much by recoil that it bends?
    One of you gunsmith wizards help educate me here please.

11. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Pics or it didn't happen...(y)
    Seriously, I think I speak for everyone here when I say we would like to see a few pictures.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Here are pictures of the 2017 Rifa Course, NOT the actual exam:
    http://zphga.org/2017-rifa-course/

Lon,
    I take it hand loads aren't allowed? Does ZPHGA or Norma (a ZPHGA sponsor) provide factory ammo? Yes, a description of the course of fire would be really cool. I take it with ammo prices like that, not many learners can afford proper practice, much less something like this:
    http://www.safarishootingschool.com/rates.html

$65 for 50 rounds of .22lr? o_O Seems like prices like that would encourage ammo smuggling... :whistle:

13. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:

14. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Very good idea.