Rifle Lessons Learned from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter Proficiency Exam

So after reading all 15 pages, I can conclude that:

A professional hunter needs to have a, DG rifle, that is 100% able to function reliably and accurately, under all conditions, with a variety of ammo they may shoot. The same can be said for the Hunter.

Failure to do so can lead to bad outcomes on many levels.

Factory rifles, or poor custom rifles, may or may not be up to the task, YMMV. Quality custom rifles, or quality factory rifles and doubles should be up to the task.

At the end of the day, it’s up to the individual to make sure their rifle is up to the job.
With one addition- ALL rifle makes need to be rigorously tested. No manufacturer is perfect ! If only your post was on the first page then we could have stopped right there

A 450-400 88b saved a life today after a .416 R jammed. There will be no more details.

I am curious about the details but @Tokoloshe Safaris is pretty clear there will not be any.

Rifle and ammo type? Equipment or operator malfunction? Having done numerous accident investigations, sometimes you never really know. In this case, he did state the most important detail: a life was saved.

Safe hunting

I am curious about the details but @Tokoloshe Safaris is pretty clear there will not be any.

Rifle and ammo type? Equipment or operator malfunction? Having done numerous accident investigations, sometimes you never really know. In this case, he did state the most important detail: a life was saved.

Safe hunting
Yes, wasn't asking for details. I just don't know what a "88b" rifle in the stated chambering looks like.

@Jack Stevens: Apologies as I was just making a comment about the entire situation not your inquiry.

I am guessing by 88b he is referring to a Heym double rifle.

Safe hunting

Would like to see a pic of an "450-400 88b" rifle, as I've never seen one (that I know of).
Voila

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.26 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.26 AM Large.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.27 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.27 AM Large.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.28 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.28 AM Large.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.30 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.30 AM Large.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.31 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.31 AM 1 Large.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.31 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.31 AM Large.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.32 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.37.32 AM Large.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 57
That's a trap many of us have fallen into; we live, and learn, but can be an expensive lesson
Finally read the thread right through; took so long I missed lunch! So much knowledge to absorb, from many knowledgeable people. Made me realise I've been buying too many "off the shelf" rifles, instead of focussing on one, or maybe two custom built ones, rom skilled gunsmiths.
Accordingly, there are rifles going on the market, then one D/G item, built to simply perform, regardless of when and where. Function in preference to reputation, or form. Wish me luck, and a full wallet.

Sorry just can’t do it. I just am afraid I am just too classical. I love my WR DR, John Rigby, Mauser as well. I used a weather polymer stock for years but now nothing but beautiful wood will do. My problem is elephant and buff want my DR but PG the DR just will not reach out. I know you Blazer guys do not have a problem with that but then again I am one of those who loves to “dress the part” when I go to Africa…could never do the pith helmet though

Sorry just can’t do it. I just am afraid I am just too classical. I love my WR DR, John Rigby, Mauser as well. I used a weather polymer stock for years but now nothing but beautiful wood will do. My problem is elephant and buff want my DR but PG the DR just will not reach out. I know you Blazer guys do not have a problem with that but then again I am one of those who loves to “dress the part” when I go to Africa…could never do the pith helmet though
I'm wondering: Does Kevin hunt (and drive his Land Rovers) in a pith helmet??

A 450-400 88b saved a life today after a .416 R jammed. There will be no more details.

So glad to hear a life was saved. Hate to hear about anyone getting hurt or killed in Africa. Is this a check that goes in the column of Double Rifles for hunting dangerous game???

Would like to see a pic of an "450-400 88b" rifle, as I've never seen one (that I know of).

Jack,

I have a Heym 88B in 450/400 NE. Great rifle and it has accounted for 4 buffalos and a few plains game animals as well. IMO Heym are great double rifles and the 450/400 is an excellent caliber and easy to shoot accurately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg