Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Shooting Test May 2019

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Nhoro, May 28, 2019.

1. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hi All,

I helped out with the Pro Hunters and Guides shooting tests this weekend. The other thread, https://www.africahunting.com/threa...bwe-professional-hunter-proficiency-exam.2604, has had a lot of interest so I thought I would post my experiences and some videos. I think that the test is a good guide to general dangerous game and hunting skills, so hopefully it will be of use. Most of these tests can easily be set up at your home range and would be a great practice session for a hunt in Africa.

I went on Friday and Saturday for the practice and then Sunday for the tests. The other thread dwells a lot on weapon failures so lets start there. I saw 2 weapon failures- a CZ 550 in 416 rigby -trigger screws came loose and backed out with the heavy workout-fixed on site in about 15 mins and a 458 win mag of unknown heritage that wouldn't load from the magazine. There were other problems that I believe were operator error-short stroking the bolt etc. There were about 5 x 375 H&H, 2 x 416 rigby, 1 x458 win mag. Actions were varied, 1 x Weatherby action (highest score !) and winchester/CZ/mauser/What was very clear was a vast difference between the guys that were well practiced and drilled and the chancers. The guys who were serious, turned up Friday and Saturday for the practice and made it through. Some others turned up but had obviously not practised enough and it showed in their results. Well done to the graduates, there was some excellent shooting.

On to the tests- To give you an idea, I will attach videos of some of the tests. I was helping out with bits and pieces and so did not video every test. Below is the canoe guide test with me on the trigger. 6 shots on 3 targets in 8 seconds, left/right/and behind you with a 44 mag or bigger. You will see my 6 th shot is just after the time and so doesn't count but I had 4 scoring hits + 1 outside the bull + 1 in the bull but outside the time. It would have been a pass.

Hunters do more shoots and need a higher mark to pass (120) Guides face fewer shoots and need 80. So hunters started with a gong (I ran the range and scored so no pictures) Simple 75 m shot at a round gong of about 6 inches diameter and 10 points for a hit, 2 shots in your own time. Shooters are able to use sticks/a tree/prone but not bench. All used the tree in a seated position.

Next the hunters did fire and movement- Shooter runs down about 30 m, shoots at first target at about 10 m (10 inch bull scores 5, next ring 4,next 3 etc) 375 scores full score for a bull but 1 less on the outer rings) Then he moves 5 m to the right and shoots the second target, then 5 m right and 3rd target. The score is divided by the time taken in seconds.

Next both hunters and guides did the quick fire 3 shots mandatory reload 3 shots. Start furthest to closest and then closest to furthest. Same scoring as above. See the video below. This simulates an animal charge and then turning to run away.

After that, guides and hunters do the run down,50 m run and then 4 targets
    10m/15m /20m from left to right and then a target far left at 25 m so you have to break your rythm and go right then left. Again 10 inch bulls and score divided by time.

Last but not least, the charging lion. See the video below. Hunters and guides have two rounds with one shot each round. The target sled runs straight towards you at about 30 km/hr and you have 3,5 sec to shoot and get out of the way.

All scores were entered on a spreadsheet and then passing certificates issued to successful candidates.

V.Veritas, gesch, JPbowhunter and 9 others like this.

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Louisiana, Mississippi
    Thank you so much for putting this up!

Nkawu likes this.

3. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Thanks for educating us on whats involved!

4. Nkawu

Nkawu AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
    Do you loose points for using less than a .40 cal?

5. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Very good, thank you for sharing..(y)(y)(y)

6. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing

7. Brandon.Gleason

Brandon.Gleason AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC, NRA
    Great videos and post. Thank you for sharing.

8. ve7poi

ve7poi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member SCI
    Hunted:
    British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
    Thank you for post this lots of stress if you livelihoods on the line

9. JSD

JSD AH Member

Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Thank you for sharing! Is the gentleman in the last video Thomas?

10. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    Thanks for the insight of what the PHs must do for qualification.

11. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Not lose points so much, as leave points on the table.

Nkawu likes this.

12. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Standing beside that cable puts some excitement into it. You really do have to get out of the way.

Thanks for posting the videos. It really does help illustrate the testing procedure.

13. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Essentially a 'bull' inside a 10 inch circle carries the same points for all calibres above 375 h&h.(5 points) the outer rings then diferentiate between the below .400 and above .400. The 375 basically score one less point in the outer rings. The basis for this is that a larger calibre is more likely to turn or knock out the animal with a near miss. A brain shot is a brain shot regardless of calibre.

14. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    A number of qualified guides and hunters gathered to watch. After the tests were done, we all had an informal bit of fun with the charging lion test. Guys trying to put in two shots with a bolt action. Another guide loaned out his 500 NE double. I had a go with a borrowed 458 (bull) and then two shots with the 500. First time to fire a double and the safety/back trigger/front trigger process was too much for me ! Amazing how much pressure that little sled puts on you. Another guide (also a bolt action man)scored a bull with the first barrel and then got run over-with much hilarity and suggestions that he fit a bayonet, he retired hurt and licked his wounds-sore shins and a few cuts and grazes. The sled only stops when you fire or when it hits the tires behind the shooting station.

cagkt3 likes this.

15. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    It is.

16. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Looks like a lot of fun!

17. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    If I had to fire two shots before I got out of the way that double trigger would be the end of me. I would have been run over as well.
    I may as well carry a single shot and accept it.

I think one of those sleds is invaluable to see just how difficult it is to shoot a closing target.

18. JSD

JSD AH Member

Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    I hope Mr Thomas is doing well. I haven’t talked to him in awhile.

19. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    Ah,yes. Brings back memories of my three gun days. That looks similar to some of the drills at FTW Ranch. Quite realistic.

20. Nhoro

Nhoro AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    He was well and passed his test quite comfortably.