Rifle for Long Length of Pull

worth1

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Houston Safari Club
Would like to see what experience individuals with a long length of pull prefer for rifles. I have a very long length of pull at over 16.5". A standard length of pull for American sporting rifle off sticks isn't the most comfortable to have a repeatable set up all the time. Have been looking for other options and seem to be revolving around a Blaser R8 with thumb hole stock or a Rigby Highland Stalker that is longer length of pull. The R8 with thumb hole stock could be same length of pull as standard American but have used target rifles with McMillan A-5 stock design and feel significantly better off sticks.

I haven't shot either of the Blaser or Rigby so don't want to spend the money to end up in the same spot as current set up.

I guess to wrap it up I would appreciate feedback on what others have done regarding either rifle option listed or just try to make best with current set up.

Would like to see what experience individuals with a long length of pull prefer for rifles. I have a very long length of pull at over 16.5". A standard length of pull for American sporting rifle off sticks isn't the most comfortable to have a repeatable set up all the time. Have been looking for other options and seem to be revolving around a Blaser R8 with thumb hole stock or a Rigby Highland Stalker that is longer length of pull. The R8 with thumb hole stock could be same length of pull as standard American but have used target rifles with McMillan A-5 stock design and feel significantly better off sticks.

I haven't shot either of the Blaser or Rigby so don't want to spend the money to end up in the same spot as current set up.

I guess to wrap it up I would appreciate feedback on what others have done regarding either rifle option listed or just try to make best with current set up.
Just curious how tall are you to require a 16.5" stock? Normally rifles are an inch to 1/2 inch shorter than commensurate shotguns. So do you shoot 17.5 inch LOP in an OU or SxS? The longest I have ever seen in a shotgun was 16 1/4 and that gentleman was 6' 6" tall. I am 6' tall and shoot 14 1/2 or 14 3/4 in an OU or SxS depending on drop at heel and prefer 14 - 14 1/4 in a rifle.

For a price, Rigby will obviously provide you with whatever stock length you require.

Last edited:
Can't you have a custom stock made for your rifle? I think if you initiated a post stating that you need a custom stock there are guys that could refer you to someone that can help you out.

I am 6’6” with long arms. I agree a custom stock can be done but due to time constraints not really a great option at this time. I don’t do much shotgun shooting so haven’t really done much with them to reference.

The Ruger Guide Gun has stock spacers. If you could get an extra set and longer screws that might work.

Have you taken a look at Boyds Gunstocks? They are fairly inexpensive and for the most part are "drop in."

I have a new R8 and have a 15.5” LOP. I was able to get the Blaser LOP extension and do it myself quite easily. The Blaser has so many advantages but not having to wait on and pay a gunsmith to make this adjustment was great for me.

I will check them out. Han not heard of them before.

I have a new R8 and have a 15.5” LOP. I was able to get the Blaser LOP extension and do it myself quite easily. The Blaser has so many advantages but not having to wait on and pay a gunsmith to make this adjustment was great for me.

For your R8, do you have the thumb hole stock or standard?

I'm 5 feet 10 inches; with 14" LOP, I just added a Limbsaver 1 1/2 inch butt pad to 2 of my rifles. If you need over 14 inch LOP just add spacer(s).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.03 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.05 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 12.02.07 PM.png
    995.3 KB · Views: 93
It may not be pretty but any competent gunsmith can make a spacer, even on a synthetic stock.

I ended up purchasing a R8 Ultimate with the adjustable cheek and recoil pad. I really like it so far. I have never had that kind of adjustability and what a difference it makes.

I am 6’6” with long arms. I agree a custom stock can be done but due to time constraints not really a great option at this time. I don’t do much shotgun shooting so haven’t really done much with them to reference.
Got arms like an orange-u-tan!:LOL::LOL::love::rolleyes:o_O:eek: You must have over a 7' span!:eek:

FWIW a Sauer XT 100 has 14.5" LOP. I just got one and was very impressed with the workmanship and manufacturing tolerances of the barrel and chamber and quality of the trigger pull and way it is bedded. Should make for a great hunting rifle.

I ended up getting a R8 Ultimate with the adjustable cheek and recoil pad. Such a different feeling being able to fit the gun to me vs the other way around.

Go to Boyds Hardwood Gun Stocks and have one custom made. You have various choices, colors etc and very reasonable. Mine LOP is short and they have done a couple thumbhole for me.

I’m six foot five inches tall and my O/U LOP is 15 5/8 for bolt rifles it’s 14 3/4. I mostly just add a Kick EZE pad that’s almost 1 1/2 inches thick. I also have a bunch of rifles with McMillan stocks that I had made to my LOP and a few MPI stocks.

Galzan sells at least a two inch pad that you can add, I did this on a beat up but solid commercial Mauser in 9.3x62.

You can also just buy a slip on pad from decelerator to put over the stock pad. I keep one of these in my carry on when I travel to hunt. If my gun doesn’t get there I slip it on the loaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg