Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I have used Woodleigh for all of my hunting, 6.5x55 up to 375 H&H. But, it seems, my 308 Norma is a contrarian o_Oand shoots 180grain like a 12 Guage. I have been able to group AFrames under an inch. But, it is a pain to source them.

I want to try and see if I can get woodleigh to work. I have been using H4831 with Winchester LR mag primers.

Which variable should I start with? Seating depth is close to recommended in the loading manual. So I am thinking start with a different powder? Should I try 200 gr bullets?:unsure::unsure: any thoughts on where to start would be appreciated. Interestingly, this is the first time I have had to struggle so much to find a load.

A-Frame

It is a really nice problem to have.

A-Frame

It is a really nice problem to have.
I quite like them. But I have to order them from the states, deal with customs etc.. and currently the Canadian Peso is trading low.:confused:

Which Woodleigh bummer are you using?

Maybe try AR2208 (oz powder Sold as Vargent in your country )
Check powder equivalents in your country
Go to adi powder equivalents
I feel H4381 maybe too slow for a small case

Woodleigh make a few different Bullets types so maybe changing them would be better

Unless there's a twist issue, I'd try a different powder and stick with the same primer. Norma 204, Reloder 22 or H-4350.

in that cartridge, 4350 is the fastest burning powder that can take advantage of the case capacity.
4831 and re22 are also in a good burning rate range.
if the gun shoots other bullets well herein could lie your answer.
however should you want to experiment, the two main factors that affect accuracy are seating depth and powder charge.
adjusting powder charges is easy in testing.
seating depthdoes not really mean seating depth.
it means adjusting the ogive relationship with the rifling, and seating depth is a byproduct of this.
this has the added consideration that you probably need to stay a little under mag length.
powder type con often affect accuracy a little bit, and primers even less, so these are of lesser consideration than charge wt and c.o.a.l.
bruce.

Woodleigh make a few different Bullets types so maybe changing them would be better
I was actually thinking of Varget. Ok, I will see if I can start there and move on. Here are some examples....and these were the good ones!

20200605_204858.jpg
20200605_204852.jpg

Uploaded sideways as this site likes to do lol

looking at your bullet holes almost brings stability into question.
however if other similar length bullets shoot ok, you would tent to rule it out.
bruce.

looking at your bullet holes almost brings stability into question.
however if other similar length bullets shoot ok, you would tent to rule it out.
bruce.
On the target board they were perfect little holes. The paper may have gotten a bit crumpled.

Reviewing the loading manual I realize that I started the loads at the mid point (71.5 grains, with 73 gr being max.) Starting load is 67gr. So I should try lowering the load before moving off of it.

Barrel / free floating ??
Could be powder is not burning consistently
Suggest a slightly faster powder

Barrel / free floating ??
Could be powder is not burning consistently
Suggest a slightly faster powder
Barrel is free floated. I will reduce the load to see if I find a sweet spot. If not, either 4350 or varget will be next

H4831 is equivalent to AR3323sc.

Accidentally filed before.
H4831 is equivalent to AR2313sc.
Pheroze maybe you should try H1000 or R22.
Woodleigh hydros or weldcore or protected points ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross