REVELATION

BARTFRNCS

AH enthusiast
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
304
Reaction score
45
Media
12
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
RMEF DU SCI NRA
Hunted
CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
I have decided to start shooting all my game animals with 22lr! Ive just been killing them to easily with the larger calibers.
 
YUK YUK!!!:stirring:
 
Now that's an idea, I have been getting plenty of practice with one shooting bloody cockies. Avareging about 50 rounds a week. Should be good enough for a bull ele hunt.
 
Now that's an idea, I have been getting plenty of practice with one shooting bloody cockies. Avareging about 50 rounds a week. Should be good enough for a bull ele hunt.

This gets poignant when you realize that in New Zealand "Cockies" refers to farmers...
 
Bart, take plenty of 22 short for the smaller game, like warthog or whitetail:)
 
22 BB Cap would be more sporting :biggrin2:
 
This gets poignant when you realize that in New Zealand "Cockies" refers to farmers...

So do we in Aus. Cocky is a silver crested cockatoo and there is thousands of them were I live.
 
go with the copper plated 40 gr. and you are good to go...just leave the hippo, elephant and rhino alone and all else is fair game...
 
Gentlemen, I am about to show my ignorance here, but, I have to ask which is going to have the best stopping power (i.e. Cape Buffalo charge)? Would it be 36 gr. hollow point or the 40 gr. copper plated round nose that James is suggesting? I have never hunted Cape Buffalo before, however it is a goal of mine, I just wanna be prepared...
 
Well, in my best bench hunting opinion, just make sure that either the 36 or 40 grain is in a fast double rifle for that quick follow up shot!:cool:
 
Gentlemen, I am about to show my ignorance here, but, I have to ask which is going to have the best stopping power (i.e. Cape Buffalo charge)? Would it be 36 gr. hollow point or the 40 gr. copper plated round nose that James is suggesting? I have never hunted Cape Buffalo before, however it is a goal of mine, I just wanna be prepared...

Well are we talking about shooting .22 short, long rifle or a man's rifle the .22 magnum? Damn hard to answer your question until we have all the info. :geek:
 
Well are we talking about shooting .22 short, long rifle or a man's rifle the .22 magnum? Damn hard to answer your question until we have all the info. :geek:

It would have to be the long rifle, guess I'm not use to the recoil of the mag yet (still working on it). Anyway, any help on this topic would be appreciated. I plan on taking a ruger 77/22, with a fixed 4 power, it's a Leupold and i hope it's enough scope as well.
 
It would have to be the long rifle, guess I'm not use to the recoil of the mag yet (still working on it). Anyway, any help on this topic would be appreciated. I plan on taking a ruger 77/22, with a fixed 4 power, it's a Leupold and i hope it's enough scope as well.

You mean you're not going to use a 10/22 with 50 round banana clip? :nailbiter:
 
You mean you're not going to use a 10/22 with 50 round banana clip? :nailbiter:

Okay Phil, now this thread is just getting goofy, you know you can't hunt in Africa with a semi auto. That's just crazy talk, a 10/22??? really ???? I'm looking at doubles now, if I can't find one at a reasonalbe price then I will stick to the original plan, 77-22.
 
Here is a sad story related to this thread.
Some years ago I was hunting moose in an area near Geraldton, Ontario Canada. The resort owner showed me a photo of a huge bull moose he had shot with a .22 caliber rifle when he was a young man. He told the story how he was running a trap-line and hunting ruffled grouse when he met this big bull on the trail. Without a thought he started shooting at the front leg knee's until the bull went down. He then started shooting at the bulls eye's until the bull succumbed. His justification was, back then, it was legal to hunt moose with any weapon. I was dumb-founded as he bluntly and willingly told the story seemingly without remorse. Atrocious.
 
Okay Phil, now this thread is just getting goofy, you know you can't hunt in Africa with a semi auto. That's just crazy talk, a 10/22??? really ???? I'm looking at doubles now, if I can't find one at a reasonalbe price then I will stick to the original plan, 77-22.

Dammitt!!! All that load development.......shot to hell!
 
Here is a sad story related to this thread.
Some years ago I was hunting moose in an area near Geraldton, Ontario Canada. The resort owner showed me a photo of a huge bull moose he had shot with a .22 caliber rifle when he was a young man. He told the story how he was running a trap-line and hunting ruffled grouse when he met this big bull on the trail. Without a thought he started shooting at the front leg knee's until the bull went down. He then started shooting at the bulls eye's until the bull succumbed. His justification was, back then, it was legal to hunt moose with any weapon. I was dumb-founded as he bluntly and willingly told the story seemingly without remorse. Atrocious.

I think things like that happen more than we want to admit, it's just that nobody mentions the truth of the matter.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,788
Members
169,619
Latest member
CameronCou
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top