Resurrecting the 270 Win

Resizing and priming 200 .270 cases this morning... Will charge and cap them with a nice Barnes TTSX this afternoon...

Should be enough to get through a few deer seasons...

Love the 270....
I don't know, time and shooting ability will tell if that'll be enough? Ha! Ha! Must be nice to have primers to reload with!

I don't know, time and shooting ability will tell if that'll be enough? Ha! Ha! Must be nice to have primers to reload with!

I wish I had a few more primers than I do....

I figured I've got a bunch of empty cases.. might as well resize, clean, and prime them as much as I can.. then whenever I can find enough powder, actually finish the loads..

Once this shortage is over (assuming it ever is).. I have learned my lesson.. Never have less than 24lbs of powder and 10,000 primers (assorted) on hand..

Ive got enough stuff to get me by.. but not nearly enough to make me comfortable that I can shoot as much as I want, whenever I want, for the rest of my life..

Im solving that the first opportunity I get..

I wish I had a few more primers than I do....

I figured I've got a bunch of empty cases.. might as well resize, clean, and prime them as much as I can.. then whenever I can find enough powder, actually finish the loads..

Once this shortage is over (assuming it ever is).. I have learned my lesson.. Never have less than 24lbs of powder and 10,000 primers (assorted) on hand..

Ive got enough stuff to get me by.. but not nearly enough to make me comfortable that I can shoot as much as I want, whenever I want, for the rest of my life..

Im solving that the first opportunity I get..
+1.

The same sort that also doesn’t have a .338 Winchester Magnum! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Normal people don't need that little magnum when the mighty Whelen will do everything the little gun will do and more.
Belts is for holding ya trousers up, not much use on a rifle cartridge. Actually about the same use as an ashtray on a motor bike at 60mph.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
I can see the nightmares continuing

I had my recently acquired 77 Ruger to the range today. Been working with it. As received it was typicaly factory stocked, pressure on the barrel, indifferent bedding and barrel channel relief. I shot it as received, fair. Relieved the barrel channel, not much improvement. Ground out the forend pressure bed, got worse!
So the next step was action bedding which I did last week. Today it shot MOA with 4 of 5 loads tested using 140 Sierra GK BT bullets with Hunter powder. A marked improvement. Now I know it will shoot, I can fine tune the loads.
My very first Ruger rifle was one just like this one, it shot indifferent too and I had it rebarreled to .280 Rem and it shot superbly for many years.
This is my first .270 in a long time, but I am enjoying it.

Dr Ray,
I know you do. You and I chose the .22-250, .270 and .338WM as our three best cartridges on another thread here.
CEH

I have all of those in Sako hunter 85 stainless steel

Dr Ray,
I know you do. You and I chose the .22-250, .270 and .338WM as our three best cartridges on another thread here.
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Meat loaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but you only got 1 out of 3 in good cartridges. The 22/250 forget the others when you have a hot 25 and a Whelen.
Bob

Dr Ray,
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Meat loaf said 2 out of three ain't bad, but when you get 1 out of 3 that's different.
Yes the 22/250 but it should then read fast 25 and 35 Whelen. Not 270 and 338. Yes a lot of people use them but as Honest Abe Lincoln said you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. Advertising can even make a dog turd appear good which is what Jack O'conner did with the 270 and Winchester did with the 338. Yes they might be good cartridges, but there are others out there that didn't get that advertising that are just as good or better. You just have to seek and you will find.
Bob

Been a while since I posted in this but I still have to say that the 270 is still one of my all time favorite calibers. I’ve killed everything from N American deer and hogs to exotics to African Plains Game with it. It’s a very accurate caliber, low recoil, and very devastating on game with appropriate bucket selection. In total I would conservatively say I’ve killed probably over 1000 animals with a 270, the bulk of which were feral pigs and cull deer, and I still love the caliber. 243, 270, and 30-06 are my favorite small bore calibers and I have used all 3 extensively. Both 270 and 30-06 I have taken over seas with me and both preformed extremely well.
I shoot a lot of calibers for fun and I’ve stated to become quite fond of the 6.5 Creedmore but I have to say as far as killing ability is concerned the 270 wins that battle.

I’ve always thought about getting a 25-06 but I’m a 270 Winchester fan and have shot one for 50 years. If I did my job the gun did it’s job. I couldn’t see getting another rifle based on the same case that shot a smaller lighter bullet, with a worse bc, and was slower than my 270 was with 130 grain bullets. I have to admit that the 120’s in a 25-06 did a good job on coyotes because of less hide damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross